Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chippyhawkeye 818SE build thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Where'd ya mount the intercooler???
    If you look to the right of the transaxle you can see the water cooled controllers cooling system. Close enough?? LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever have one of those days? Well today was one for me. I was on the way to having everything done on the 818E by Tuesday afternoon. I was modifying the trunk and installing the 2 rear covers when some buddies came by. One was looking the car over and said how did you crack the windshield? I said what!!! Sure enough the drivers side cracked down low. The glass shop warned me that the frame was way out of wack when they installed the glass. They were afraid the fiberglass surround was going to crack to try to get it all together. Though with clamps they were able to install the window OK. I guess it had too much stress on it. Nothing has touched it since last Thursday. It took a week to crack. As per Mauldin's Auto-glass I am ordering a new frame and windshield from FFR. Courtney at FFR helped me out and it will all be waiting for me when I get my GTM kit on Feb. 6th. Thanks Courtnie. Here is some pics of the back and finished trunk.

IMG_1439.JPGIMG_1437.JPGIMG_1438.JPGIMG_1435.JPGIMG_1436.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have finished up 95% of the car. It will have to wait to be done in late Feb. or early March. Here is some photos and a short video. That is about 1/2 throttle. If I floor it the tires light up, Woo Hoo!

IMG_1451.JPGIMG_1452.JPGIMG_1453.JPGIMG_1454.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool guys. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the 818E out to Huegenics to get it weighed down the street for title work. weighed 2360 lbs. Car went an easy 100MPH in 3rd gear! Wow! the guys at Huegenics were super impressed. Here is a photo next to the MK4 I just finished. Windshield frame and windshield came Fed EX today and was all intact, whew! I am going to pull the old frame out tomorrow. New frame and side mirrors are being painted by Huegenics today should be able to pick up Thursday. Hope to have it all back together by late next week.

IMG_1471.JPGIMG_1474.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful! Going to be nice having another 818 on the streets of Atlanta!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Tom.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful Tom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up painted frame and mirrors from Huegenics this morning. Installed new frame and window fit real nice. Monday Mauldin's will install windshield.

IMG_1481.JPG

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I got car back from Mauldin's Auto Glass and the installed the new windshield in the new frame. They did it No charge! Wow! I did not expect that, Thanks Jerry! Today I installed all the front end, soft top, zip in side windows and side mirrors. Car looks really nice. I really like how you can unzip the rear window out of this soft top. Nice for sunny day but still get the good breeze. All that is left is to get it titled and clean it all up so I can deliver it to Chip in Atlanta. Hopefully before the end of Feb.

IMG_1484.JPGIMG_1485.JPGIMG_1486.JPGIMG_1487.JPGIMG_1488.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin goooood Tom , by the way were did you get those mirrors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Hollywood mirrors from Speedway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work, Tom. I'm envious of that finish.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I have a set that I replaced with s2000 mirrors. They were used for 3000 miles and may have some minor scuffs. Free to you if you pay shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generous offer. Pm sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the 818E titled today. Florida as of 2017 now issues a new VIN# instead of using the frame # as they did in the past. I will engrave it to the brass plate. Deliver car to Chip in Atlanta on 2/25/17.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_20170225_104631[2].jpg

Delivered 818E to Chip yesterday. He is one happy man! His daughter had to get in car right after him. Here is a pic of Chip and me. I hope he has many trouble free miles of smiles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Tom and Chip.
    I look forward to hearing about Chip's EV adventures.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Great job Tom and Chip.
    I look forward to hearing about Chip's EV adventures.
    Bob
    He already put 50 miles on it yesterday!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Wish I knew you were in town. Would have invited you over to talk shop. Next time you are around, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    This forum really needs a "like" button, congrats!
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy. Don't be a stranger, give us updates on its performance

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everybody,

I guess it goes without saying that Tom did a fabulous job on the build. His patience in waiting for parts to get delivered was amazing. It's been a joy to drive the first few days. I took it out on the freeway and all over town on Saturday. I've never ridden in a gas powered 818, so can't comment on how it compares, but it is crazy fast to accelerate and feels so smooth. I had no idea how many heads it would turn, people roll down windows to ask what it is. The electric part just makes it that much more of a question magnet! I'm still taking it easy and getting to know the car. I put the regen brake on a trigger switch near the shifter which adds a whole different dimension to driving. I'm mostly able to get around without using the brakes, just use the regen trigger to slow down. I also put in a little forward/reverse switch in the center console so I'm driving in 3rd gear almost all the time without using the clutch. When it's time to reverse just flip the switch and the motors run backwards instead of switching the transmission into reverse. Here are a few photos: https://goo.gl/photos/WuDJzoD1SbJCNfAd8
    -Chip

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Chip. I know it's been a long time coming, what with the motor delays.

We should get together and go for a cruise soon. You should also consider bringing it to Caffeine and Octane; people there would get a huge kick out of it. Next one is March 5th, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get accustomed to the car, let us know the range you can expect using different driving styles. I.e. Economy vs lead foot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Congrats Chip. I know it's been a long time coming, what with the motor delays.

We should get together and go for a cruise soon. You should also consider bringing it to Caffeine and Octane; people there would get a huge kick out of it. Next one is March 5th, I believe.
    I'm going out of town this weekend, but I'll try to make the next one, it looks like fun! Have to put them right next to each other...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Well the controllers showed up last Friday. So today Chip cane down from Atlanta with the batteries so we could plan out the boxes and where we can put them. He got to see the car for the first time and seem very pleased. He is such a great guy. We ended up putting 2 behind the drivers seat and 6 behind the passenger seat and 6 on each side of the motors. He is going to have one of his companies make the battery boxes. I will have to modify the inside passenger side firewall some. Once I am done with the MK4 I can finally maybe finish this car. Still some stuff missing from EV-West and a lot of wiring to do for sure. I did have time to make some dust plates for the transmission and adapter plate.

Attachment 57617Attachment 57618Attachment 57619
    Hi,
    Do you have the dimensions of the spaces available for the batteries in your set-up?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chippyhawkeye View Post
    Hi Bob,

The pack is 32KWh it weighs about 140kgs. I used 18650 cells rated at 3Ah and 15 amp continuous draw. They are arranged with 40 in series and 72 in parallel. I suspect I'll get around 100 miles range. I was more concerned with performance than range although Tom did have to work some magic to make them all fit so adding more would require some serious creativity.
    Hi Chip,
    Would you mind giving me the details of your battery contact in Asia? I'm looking at a 50Kwh battery set-up for the 818C.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricdownunder View Post
    Hi Chip,
    Would you mind giving me the details of your battery contact in Asia? I'm looking at a 50Kwh battery set-up for the 818C.
    Thanks
    Here is the website: https://em3ev.com/ . I worked with Paul, his email is [email protected]
    They did a great job and built to my spec, although they might have something off the shelf that would work for you.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567