Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chippyhawkeye 818SE build thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today i finished up the cooling system for the controllers. How about that sexy purple coolant! Taking tomorrow off to go to Moultrie for the day. I will work on it some more Saturday.

IMG_1316.JPGIMG_1317.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the water cooled controllers, I know that even my 84V, 450 amp trike controller generated some significant heat!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been fighting a bad cold the last 5 days now. I did feel good enough to do the front and rear alignment on Chip's 818E yesterday. Everything came to specs nice. After I set the rear up, I moved to the front. I set up caster and camber. Then I centered the steering wheel and guess what? The toe was a perfect 1/16" in without touching a tie rod! That does n0t happen every days for sure, LOL. I also finished up the charging port that will go on the side of the car when done. I hope to take the chassis to Chip on the 30th for him to do the final checks on all the E-Stuff, LOL. When he is done and go-carts the chassis I will bring it back here to finish and title it.

IMG_1319.JPGIMG_1320.JPGIMG_1321.JPGIMG_1322.JPGIMG_1323.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a nice wheel alignment tool (not the QuikTrack which I got too, the 1st pic I mean). It looks like a CNC part made by Craig... lolll Why aren't you using QT for this alignment?

You got lucky on the perfect 1-shot toe! lolll I have to say bravo. Now try to do it again on your next build. We'll see if it's luck or expertise.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    That's a nice wheel alignment tool (not the QuikTrack which I got too, the 1st pic I mean). It looks like a CNC part made by Craig... lolll Why aren't you using QT for this alignment?

You got lucky on the perfect 1-shot toe! lolll I have to say bravo. Now try to do it again on your next build. We'll see if it's luck or expertise.
    I used the quick track for the toe settings and I bought this Telezen unit that does 4- wheel alignments a little better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loaded up the 818E to take to Chip on Monday morning. He will finish up the electronics and programming of the E-Stuff,LOL. I have Bill's MK4 chassis back here to work on finishing up in the mean time.

IMG_1330.JPGIMG_1331.JPG

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Loaded up the 818E to take to Chip on Monday morning. He will finish up the electronics and programming of the E-Stuff,LOL. I have Bill's MK4 chassis back here to work on finishing up in the mean time.

IMG_1330.JPGIMG_1331.JPG
    No holes in the front of the trailer this time right?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    No holes in the front of the trailer this time right?
    LOL, I sure hope not!

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to Chip's home at 5:28 AM. Dropped off the 818E chassis and headed home. Check out his awesome bike!

IMG_1332.JPGIMG_1334.JPGIMG_1333.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to Chip's home at 5:28 AM. Dropped off the 818E chassis and headed home. Check out his awesome bike!

IMG_1332.JPGIMG_1334.JPGIMG_1333.JPG
    Tom, with the height of that bicycle seat, I suspect Chip is north of 6 feet. How well did he fit in the 818?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Tom, with the height of that bicycle seat, I suspect Chip is north of 6 feet. How well did he fit in the 818?
    Bob
    Yes he is tall. With the new style rear firewall he had almost as much room as if you used a Boyd tank for a gas build. I am 6'3" and he is about a few inches taller. He seems to fit fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got an email from Chip. After fixing a few EV-West wiring snafus he got the wheels to turn with the motors. I felt relieved that my wiring was 90+% OK. He has to reprogram the controllers as EV West did not program them properly. It feels great after so many months of waiting for parts and such to have it running. Great Job, Chip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!! Go-kart soon?

What was programed wrong and why?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!! Go-kart soon?

What was programed wrong and why?
    Most likely go-cart soon. Chip will have to answer the programming question. EV West has had several changes in how they do the 2 motor setup. Most likely the wrong program was loaded in our controllers. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got another email from Chip today. He has got the BMS all working and the charger working on charging the batteries as they should. EV-West still holding us up on proper programming of the controllers unfortunately. Definitely getting closer to go-carting the car. A major step for us for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a great email from Chip today! He has fixed all the EV-West snafu's and put 3 miles on the go-cart. He says it is very impressive to drive. I will soon go get it and finish it up in Feb. after I pick up my GTM kit. Hopefully have it all done and titled by March.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's a nice X-Mas present!!

Keep up the good work, Tom.
    GTM will be your 1st?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wallace18;261631]Got a great email from Chip today! He has fixed all the EV-West snafu's and put 3 miles on the go-cart. He says it is very impressive to drive. I will soon go get it and finish it up in Feb. after I pick up my GTM kit. Hopefully have it all done and titled by March.[/QUOTE

Congrats Tom.. What a mess of problems but you feel great when it finally works,

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that's a nice X-Mas present!!

Keep up the good work, Tom.
    GTM will be your 1st?
    Yes. That will complete my FFR portfolio, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta tip my hat to you Tom, being able to build the whole FFR line up will be an accomplishment very few could do.
    Looking foward to following your GTM build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some email conversations with Chip. I am going up on 1/5/17 to pick up the go-cart chassis and start to put the body on later that week. He is mostly done except for the A/C speed controller for the 144V A/C compressor. I have some time in between Bill's MK4 and picking up my GTM so why not get some 818E time in, LOL. I did mount the tail lights, headlights and finished up the drivers door today. Hope to get the passenger side done tomorrow. Should speed up the body assembly once I get the chassis back from the glass shop for windshield install. I wiped down the door panel with some Armor All but it looks grey for some reason in the photos. It really is black. I used the black push pins up top like Kalstar wanted on his white 818. Looks very nice, IMO.

IMG_1401.JPGIMG_1402.JPGIMG_1404.JPGIMG_1405.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the 818E go-cart at 5:30 AM today in Atlanta. Looks mostly the same as I dropped it off . The difference is it runs!!! Boy is it ever silent. The only noise you here is the rear suspension squeak over bumps. Marsha my wife drove it out of the trailer. She only had one word to say, WOW!! I will do a video of it running in a few days. I want to get going on putting the windshield, interior, seats and body al done. Chip added a few new items. This phone has all kinds of data about the EV system. Pretty cool stuff.

IMG_1406.JPGIMG_1407.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the 818E go-cart at 5:30 AM today in Atlanta. Looks mostly the same as I dropped it off . The difference is it runs!!! Boy is it ever silent. The only noise you here is the rear suspension squeak over bumps. Marsha my wife drove it out of the trailer. She only had one word to say, WOW!! I will do a video of it running in a few days. I want to get going on putting the windshield, interior, seats and body al done. Chip added a few new items. This phone has all kinds of data about the EV system. Pretty cool stuff.

IMG_1406.JPGIMG_1407.JPG
    Tom,
    Do you know the amount of energy stored in KiloWatt Hours?
    What in the expected range at highway speeds?

Anybody, Has anyone done a roll down test to calculate the total drag on an 818?

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Anybody, Has anyone done a roll down test to calculate the total drag on an 818?

Bob
    Bob, Chip will be able to answer those questions. He is in Vegas for business right now. All the technical EV-stuff is his realm so to speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even though I worked on the 818E 6 hours today not a lot to take pics of. Torqued all the motor bolts. I fixed the broken wiper motor arm from the motor to the wiper transmission. Thanks to all that sent me parts to fix this. Mostly started to cover up all the wires with plastic sheathing. I also installed a secondary back up light switch since now you can reverse the motors by a toggle switch. 5 speeds in reverse as well as forward, LOL. It is going to get real cold here over the next 3 days. Not sure how much I will get done then. Wednesday it goes in to get windshield put in at Mauldin's Auto Glass. I did mock up all the under trays for the engine area and front rack area. I sprayed the bottom of them with truck bed liner. Hope to install them tomorrow. The bottom will be completely flat. Should have some good aero below.

IMG_1408.JPGIMG_1409.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed all the underneath aluminum panels and I made one more for the rear. I also installed the A/C drain hose, LS console aluminum, front bumper with headlights and fabbed up a removable box for the BMS system. Next up is some carpet work then seats and belts. Not sure if I can do carpet in the cold temps we are getting for the next few days.

IMG_1412.JPGIMG_1410.JPGIMG_1413.JPGIMG_1415.JPGIMG_1416.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-08-2017 at 07:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Bob
    Hi Bob,

The pack is 32KWh it weighs about 140kgs. I used 18650 cells rated at 3Ah and 15 amp continuous draw. They are arranged with 40 in series and 72 in parallel. I suspect I'll get around 100 miles range. I was more concerned with performance than range although Tom did have to work some magic to make them all fit so adding more would require some serious creativity.

Post Thanks / Like

just some numbers for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by chippyhawkeye View Post
    Hi Bob,

The pack is 32KWh it weighs about 140kgs. I used 18650 cells rated at 3Ah and 15 amp continuous draw. They are arranged with 40 in series and 72 in parallel. I suspect I'll get around 100 miles range. I was more concerned with performance than range although Tom did have to work some magic to make them all fit so adding more would require some serious creativity.
    Hi Chip,
    That is a nice pack. Rough calc is 32000/140= 228Wh/kg.
    I have 4 packs of Saft VL41m's if I go electric or hybrid on my second 818. Each pack is 41AH x 346V = 14.1 KWh. At 96 kg that is only 14100/96= 147/Wh/kg. Your batteries are 55% better energy than the one's I have.

Years ago, (late 90s) I had a rule of thumb. It takes 1000 lbs of lead acid batteries to get the vehicle range of ONE gallon of gas.
    Example: A small pick-up that got 25 mpg could go 37 miles on a 1500 lbs pack.

The 818s is probably a 35 mpg car driven on the highway at 55. ( I have not measured)
    Your batteries are about 8x better energy dense than lead acid.
    So you should get 280 miles per 1000 lbs of lithium.
    so ((140 x2.2)/1000) * 280 = 86 miles range.

Tesla's 90kwh pack is about 300 miles.
    so your (32/90) x 300 is 106 miles.

So we will see when you get it out on the road.

Have fun
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-08-2017 at 05:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chip,
    That is a nice pack. Rough calc is 32000/140= 228Wh/kg.
    I have 4 packs of Saft VL41m's if I go electric or hybrid on my second 818. Each pack is 41AH x 346V = 14.1 KWh. At 96 kg that is only 14100/96= 147/Wh/kg. Your batteries are 55% better energy than the one's I have.

Years ago, (late 90s) I had a rule of thumb. It takes 1000 lbs of lead acid batteries to get the vehicle range of ONE gallon of gas.
    Example: A small pick-up that got 25 mpg could go 37 miles on a 1500 lbs pack.

The 818s is probably a 35 mpg car driven on the highway at 55. ( I have not measured)
    Your batteries are about 8x better energy dense than lead acid.
    So you should get 280 miles per 1000 lbs of lithium.
    so ((140 x2.2)/1000) * 280 = 86 miles range.

Tesla's 90kwh pack is about 300 miles.
    so your (32/90) x 300 is 106 miles.

So we will see when you get it out on the road.

Have fun
    Bob
    I can't wait to get it on the road. It's amazing to watch the progress of battery technology. With the 18650 cells you can optimize on capacity or energy density. I went middle of the road with 3Ah and 15Amp continuous draw. You can get 2Ah 30Amp cells that can safely do 50Amps for 10 seconds, which is about 2.5hp/lb or at the other end of the spectrum you can get 3.6Ah cells that are rated for 5Ah continuous(296Wh/Kg). I sized my pack just big enough to make sure when it was delivering max power it wasn't overloaded. My commute is 1.6miles each way and I'lll have a charger at work, so I don't expect much range anxiety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chippyhawkeye View Post
    I can't wait to get it on the road. It's amazing to watch the progress of battery technology. With the 18650 cells you can optimize on capacity or energy density. I went middle of the road with 3Ah and 15Amp continuous draw. You can get 2Ah 30Amp cells that can safely do 50Amps for 10 seconds, which is about 2.5hp/lb or at the other end of the spectrum you can get 3.6Ah cells that are rated for 5Ah continuous(296Wh/Kg). I sized my pack just big enough to make sure when it was delivering max power it wasn't overloaded. My commute is 1.6miles each way and I'lll have a charger at work, so I don't expect much range anxiety.
    Here is my first EV I built 20 years ago.
    http://www.evalbum.com/377
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my first EV I built 20 years ago.
    http://www.evalbum.com/377
    Bob
    Pretty cool! Bob. We were all a lot younger back then, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is cool Bob but where is your flux capacitor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    That is cool Bob but where is your flux capacitor?
    Don't laugh. Working with Bowling Green University we built a Hybrid bus using Flux Capacitors.
    This was basically a Formula 1 KERS system 20 years ago.
    We were successful in getting a 20-30% increase in fuel mileage. But the cost of the capacitors was so high the fuel savings would never pay back.

bus.jpg cap.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-11-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent the last few days putting in carpet and trying to finish up interior. All I have left interior wise is passenger seat. I took the go-cart to Mauldin's Auto Glass today to have the windshield put in. I had to drive it about a 1/2 block down a side street to the back of their shop. It was the first time I could give it some throttle so to speak. WOW! this thing is really fast. I am very impressed. I did not think an Electric car could be so quick. I believe Chip will surprise a lot of folks in Atlanta stop light drag races, LOL. no time right now for photos or videos. I promise they will be coming down the road. Hopefully start putting the body on Friday after passenger seat is installed. Aftermarket seat installs are a PITA in the 818 IMO. Oh well part of the deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, sorry I am laughing, I guess we are in the future.
    Wallace,
    I got a little time in a Tesla that was here for a track day, the acceleration was really impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the 818E back from Mauldin's. Windshield looks great! I finished up the passenger seat install. Interior is 98% done. Start putting body on tomorrow.

IMG_1419.JPGIMG_1420.JPGIMG_1421.JPGIMG_1422.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy day today. I raised the ride height 1/2 all around. Installed wipers. Started on body and splash shields. I will have to modify the trunk due to our larger contactor box. No problem just extra fabricating. Car is really looking good. I really like the door gaps. Hopefully be 98% done by Tuesday afternoon.

IMG_1426.JPGIMG_1427.JPGIMG_1429.JPGIMG_1430.JPGIMG_1433.JPGIMG_1434.JPGIMG_1431.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, looks awesome Tom!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where'd ya mount the intercooler???
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL tht car looks so much like mine, its almost like looking in a mirror.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast