Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great Tom!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I had some time to install the steering column covers. I redid them with black wrinkle paint to match some other interior parts. I also added some thermocoustic to the sides and made carpet triangles to fill in where the seats go. I hope to start on the instrument cluster panel some on Monday. Maybe more carpet also. Benoit and his wife came by to visit from Canada and looked over the build. He will build a 818C Automatic for his wife soon.

IMG_0329.JPGIMG_0330.JPGIMG_0332.JPGIMG_0333.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice SW cover! What did you use for the part close to the dash? Aluminum that you fabed?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Nice SW cover! What did you use for the part close to the dash? Aluminum that you fabed?
    Same thing I used on my previous 2 818S builds. Black headliner material. You can get it at many Fabric or craft stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    But isn't headliner material very soft and malleable? How can it keep its shape?
    I guess I didn't see that in your other 2 builds and it slipped through my fingers.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    But isn't headliner material very soft and malleable? How can it keep its shape?
    I guess I didn't see that in your other 2 builds and it slipped through my fingers.
    Frank you want something soft so when you raise or lower the column it moves with it and conforms. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I understand that, makes sense. What I don't understand is how does it keeps its form when you don't move it?
    I mean the headliner I have pictured in my head is made of soft malleable cloth, like a thin carpet, for instance or cloth used on seats. Maybe I have the wrong thing in mind.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I understand that, makes sense. What I don't understand is how does it keeps its form when you don't move it?
    I mean the headliner I have pictured in my head is made of soft malleable cloth, like a thin carpet, for instance or cloth used on seats. Maybe I have the wrong thing in mind.
    Franks it is about 1/4 thick foam and will hold its shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! I get it! It's really not the type of fabric I had in mind. Tnx man!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I fabricated the aluminum plate that will house the speedo, tach, t/s lights, HB indicator and EV gauge. I also installed what carpet I can at this point and installed the speakers. Chip, you picked out some nice Polk Audio units that fit perfectly. I am at a stopping point till the EV stuff gets here. Seems that we are at the mercy of EV West and battery supplier. I will pull out the trans tomorrow since it has to come out for the motors to be installed anyway. Here is some pics.

IMG_0337.JPGIMG_0339.JPGIMG_0341.JPGIMG_0342.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I pulled out the transmission and hope to be getting the EV stuff from EV West soon. A partial order is being shipped this week from them but not the motors or adapter yet. They are still working on that. But at least I will be able to keep somewhat going on what is coming next week.

IMG_0343.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    2 boxes of stuff showed up the other day from EV-West. Still waiting on motors, batteries, etc. At least I have a few items to install. I mounted the charger and Prius accelerator pedal. ( Got to get used to not say gas pedal, LOL.) I had to make a small platform for the pedal. It was going to sit way to low without it. I do have lots of wiring diagrams to look over while waiting on other stuff. There will be lots of wiring in the near future for sure. I ordered a hydraulic crimper to do the 2/0 cables for batteries and motors. I hope to finish up the dash gauge area some today. Body work is progressing but I am waiting for primer to be done before taking pics.

IMG_0346.JPGIMG_0348.JPGIMG_0349.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent several days getting the dash the way I wanted it. I had to redo it 3 times. I used C/F wrap like the center console. It has Speedhut gauges and the EV gauge as well. I used 5/16" T/S and H/B indicator lights. Really not to much for me to do till other parts come in. Once Motor/Trans is installed and batteries located then I can get the other stuff located, wired and mounted. I will do some gauge wiring this week. With the holiday's it is hectic anyway.

IMG_0372.JPGIMG_0373.JPGIMG_0369.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nicely don

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I wired up the instrument cluster including the EV gauge. I ran enough wire from the EV gauge to the back so when we locate the contactor box we can hook it up. Looks great all lit up. Indicator lights very bright and shift light also. I have it all wired with quick disconnects for ease of removal or repair.

IMG_0375.JPGIMG_0378.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-16-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really trying to do some stuff to the build, but it is getting hard to find stuff till motors and batteries arrive. I did install the brake pressure transducer for the regen system and wired up the Prius acceleration pedal. I have my Type 65 Coupe up for sale, look for it in classifieds. Wife wants an MK4. If you know anyone interested PM me.

IMG_0379.JPGIMG_0380.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Body shop has mostly finished sanding and filling imperfections on body. Hope to have primer on it soon then final paint by end of the month.

SE155.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That body panel rack is impressive. Was that your invention, or theirs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    That body panel rack is impressive. Was that your invention, or theirs?
    That is mine. I recycle the base from all my builds. Then I make the rest to fit the car I am building at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Painter has body in primer. Looking good. Still at a standstill with EV-West.

SE157.jpgSE158.jpgSE159.jpgSE160.jpgSE161.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Body came out of spray booth today. Still has to cure for a week then wet sand and buff. Customer's choice of Audi Daytona Grey Pearl looks great. Can't wait till it is finished. Still waiting on EV-West and other stuff. I am busy on my MK4 and hope to have it going to paint by the end of the month. Here is a few pics.

SE162.jpgSE163.jpgSE164.jpgSE165.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Body came out of spray booth today. Still has to cure for a week then wet sand and buff. Customer's choice of Audi Daytona Grey Pearl looks great. Can't wait till it is finished. Still waiting on EV-West and other stuff. I am busy on my MK4 and hope to have it going to paint by the end of the month. Here is a few pics.

SE162.jpgSE163.jpgSE164.jpgSE165.jpg
    That is niiiiiiiice.

looking forward to more E updates.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to pick up the body parts from a body shop I will not name that I normally do not use yesterday. I was disappointed in the outcome. It looks great in pictures but up close has too many imperfections for my taste. I am taking back 6 of the 11 panels to have them redone. I normally have Huegenics do all my paint work. At my customers request he wanted a less expensive alternative. I blame myself for giving in on this request. The paint is just not to my standards which are very high. I most likely will refund all or part of the cost of paint to my customer and learn a hard lesson in sticking to my standards. This is why I usually tell my customers if they do not want to pay for Huegenics to paint that they need to have it taken to a place of their choice and leave me out of that part of the build. Still no news from EV-West on parts. Very troublesome for me and my customer for sure. I just pray that somehow it will all work out. Here is a photo. P.S.I have removed the name of the body shop from all my posts at the request of my wife.

IMG_0686.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-08-2016 at 06:32 AM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I most likely will refund all or part of the cost of paint to my customer and learn a hard lesson in sticking to my standards.
    Wow, that's some incredible business ethics there. I hope you don't have to do that and can work it out with the paint shop though.

What does a complete paint job for an 818 from Huegenics cost anyway?

BTW, your client for this build really helped me out the other day. He sent one of his electrical engineers over to my house on Sunday with an oscilloscope to help me troubleshoot my traction control system. Very generous of both of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Wow, that's some incredible business ethics there. I hope you don't have to do that and can work it out with the paint shop though.

What does a complete paint job for an 818 from Huegenics cost anyway?

BTW, your client for this build really helped me out the other day. He sent one of his electrical engineers over to my house on Sunday with an oscilloscope to help me troubleshoot my traction control system. Very generous of both of them!
    Yes he is the best. Chip is first rate in my book. I feel bad for how EV-West is treating him. The paint shop says they will make good on it, time will tell. If not Huegenics will fix it for me at my expense. I have been fortunate to build a good reputation for high quality builds. All my cars have won best of show, best in category and best paint. There is no way I would allow anything less for my customers. In the long run I have to look at myself in the mirror and know I did my best to deliver above expectations. That is my philosophy. I am disappointed in myself for allowing a lapse in my judgement on this deal. I will make it right in the end.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-05-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after having my neighbor and wife look over the panels, I have here at home, they both say I am too picky. Go figure! LOL. So when I get the rest back I will leave it up to Chip how he feels about the paint. He is the one who did not want to use my painter in the first place. In order to save some room I mounted some of the stuff on the chassis for now. Does not look too bad in the pictures. Here is a few pics.

IMG_0687.JPGIMG_0688.JPGIMG_0689.JPGIMG_0690.JPGIMG_0691.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Michael at EV-West is not answering my customers phone calls or emails. So no parts even after 7 months. I was hoping to do some work on the 818E while my MK4 is being painted. No such luck. I mounted the one drivers side pod and set the whole thing back under my 4-postlift for storage. The good news is I will be doing a MK4 build for a good friend of mine soon. We will be ordering the kit and going to get it as soon as it is ready. Here is the 818E going to sleep for however it takes to get parts from EV-West.

IMG_0699.JPGIMG_0700.JPGIMG_0701.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-21-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's too bad you're having issues with EV West. The idea of an electric 818 does sound very appealing and could be a distant future project I'd like to take on. Out of curiosity, are the parts just not available? Or are there no other sources for electric motors and controllers? I'm not sure if anyone offers the transmission adapter plate for the electric motor but that's something that could be custom designed and machined. After this kind of wait time, I would be looking at other vendors.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darn, that is so sad to hear. I know a couple other guys did electric versions and posted the details on the forum..... have you thought about reaching out to them to find out their sources for the same kind of parts you've been trying to get from EV West? I want Chip to have his car so I can go for a ride in it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chip is handling the EV parts so it is basically up to him. I just feel bad for him how Michael is treating him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chip is handling the EV parts so it is basically up to him. I just feel bad for him how Michael is treating him.
    The best place to any sort of parts for electrics is either Jack Rickard of EVTV or Randy from Canadian Electric Vehicles
    I have dealt with both for over 5 years.
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Darn, that is so sad to hear. I know a couple other guys did electric versions and posted the details on the forum..... have you thought about reaching out to them to find out their sources for the same kind of parts you've been trying to get from EV West? I want Chip to have his car so I can go for a ride in it!
    I'm kind of stuck at this point. Michael at EVWest recommended a lower voltage dual AC50 motor setup. I've already designed and had a 148 Volt nominal battery built using high power 18650 cells. Most of the alternatives would require a higher voltage and I the battery isn't really re-configurable. I chose him because he has done several dual motor setups and has a standard transmission to motor adaptor all designed that uses a power belt to mount the motors side by side. All he needs to do is adjust his model for the Subaru transmission and have it machined/water jetted. I'm calling and emailing almost daily. His employees are very friendly and just say they are trying to get him to work on it. Haven't been able to get him on the phone for over a month now... I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Couldn't be happier with the job Tom has done or his patience. If EVWest had come through with parts when they committed I think I would have been driving before Christmas last year!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately more bad news from the paint shop we used for the 818E. I sent several panels back as stated in an earlier post. While they looked Ok at the shop when I brought them home they did not match the first panels he painted at all. I have given up on this painter. I should have had Huegenics paint the car but that is water under the bridge and a long sad story. I decided to refund the entire cost of the paint job to Chip my customer. He can use it to have someone in Atlanta area repaint the car. Huegenics wanted 10K to paint it and now that looks like a bargain now. I can not charge Chip for this paint job. As anyone who has seen my builds that Huegenics has painted you know I have very high standards. I let myself and my good customer down allowing this other paint shop to paint this 818. I hope everyone involved can forgive me for allowing myself to bend away from my normal standards. I pray Chip will forgive me and get someone down the road to repaint the car. I am embarrassed to even post pics. We are still waiting on parts and I am finishing up my MK4 this week and will start another MK4 for a close friend soon. We keep getting promises of stuff from EV-West but nothing has transpired to date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the bad luck, but you are a honest man, we need people like you around. We of course do forgive you!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Frank, I found out today that my painter who normally does my fantastic paint jobs is going to make this 818 right. I can't tell you how much better I feel now. Chip would not accept my refund check. He is a one in a million customer. It will be a month or 2 before this gets done but we are still in the parts waiting game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally a ray of sunshine on this 818E project. My normal painter Chris Dobbs of Huegenics made this awful paint job from the other guy look fantastic. Thanks so much Chris and guys from Huegenics! It is truly a flawless paint job of Audi Daytona Pearl Grey. I had 6 of my Hot Rod buddies help me get it out of my trailer so we would not scratch it. I will be storing it on top of my 4-post lift all covered up till we get the rest of the parts from EV-West. I am so happy for my customer Chip, he is getting a show car quality paint on his 818E. It is really stunning in person.

IMG_0841.JPGIMG_0842.JPGIMG_0843.JPGIMG_0844.JPGIMG_0845.JPGIMG_0846.JPGIMG_0847.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 07-08-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Truly beautiful!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is a jaw-dropping paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Great Tom,
    I would love a really nice paint job. But the way we have been beating on our car. It would only be nice for about a week.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast