Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Chippyhawkeye 818SE build thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Looks Great Tom,
    I would love a really nice paint job. But the way we have been beating on our car. It would only be nice for about a week.
    Bob
    I always say drive them when you are done. That is what they are made for. I already have 500 miles on my MK4. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tom,

The build is looking great! Sorry to hear about the hiccups but I guess that's car building. Keep on plugging away man!

e

P.S. I spoke to the EV West guys and while the returned call thing is worry some, I saw the motor configuration when I was there. Holy cow is that setup cool. No wonder it took so long. There had to be ton of engineering work there. I've worked with their machinist and his schedule was ridiculous. I was frustrated too and ended up going with the WaterJet and doing stacked plates instead of billet for that reason. And it cost a lot less! Still, your setup is amazing.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 07-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Hey Tom,

The build is looking great! Sorry to hear about the hiccups but I guess that's car building. Keep on plugging away man!

e

P.S. I spoke to the EV West guys and while the returned call thing is worry some, I saw the motor configuration when I was there. Holy cow is that setup cool. No wonder it took so long. There had to be ton of engineering work there. I've worked with their machinist and his schedule was ridiculous. I was frustrated too and ended up going with the WaterJet and doing stacked plates instead of billet for that reason. And it cost a lot less! Still, your setup is amazing.
    Thanks. Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally after a long, long wait the motors and adapter plate showed up today at 5PM. Unfortunately no controllers and other needed parts though. Here is some photos. I hope to be installing this assembly the first week of August to see if it all fits in the chassis. Keep your fingers crossed and pray for Chip and me. I does look very nice!

IMG_0907.JPGIMG_0908.JPGIMG_0909.JPGIMG_0910.JPGIMG_0911.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    Cant wait to see the install. We need more FFR Electric's !

Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Finally after a long, long wait the motors and adapter plate showed up today at 5PM. Unfortunately no controllers and other needed parts though. Here is some photos. I hope to be installing this assembly the first week of August to see if it all fits in the chassis. Keep your fingers crossed and pray for Chip and me. I does look very nice!

IMG_0907.JPGIMG_0908.JPGIMG_0909.JPGIMG_0910.JPGIMG_0911.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    How are the motors coupled? Did they use a belt system like in a supercharger or is it some kind of pinion coupling? If so spur or helical?

Mine is a belt coupling but I'm worried about the longevity of the belt. Spur would be very noisy at 10,000RPM and helical would have enormous side loads. I'm just wondering what the ev-west guys did.

Thanx!

Speedy G

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy G View Post
    How are the motors coupled? Did they use a belt system like in a supercharger or is it some kind of pinion coupling? If so spur or helical?

Mine is a belt coupling but I'm worried about the longevity of the belt. Spur would be very noisy at 10,000RPM and helical would have enormous side loads. I'm just wondering what the ev-west guys did.

Thanx!

Speedy G
    Belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual AC-50s?

Post Thanks / Like
    AC-51s actually, tied by a belt. 88hp and 108ft lbs each, 170V vs 130V of the AC-50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see that installed!

Post Thanks / Like
    After a few more weeks of frustration with this build I finally have some good news to report. Once I started to put the clutch on the flywheel I noticed nothing fit correctly. It seems we were sold a 2010 flywheel and we have a 2005 clutch and transmission from a Legacy GT. So I had to overnight a correct flywheel for the 2005 after much phone calls and internet searching. Then the flywheel came but needed different bolts and no one around here had them. So a McMaster-Carr order was placed. Today I got back from a wedding trip and after sourcing some bolts for the trans to adapter plate, I was able to mate the two. Success! it all lined up and seems to work fine. The slave cylinder is sorta close but it will work out. I have to fabricate a dust cover of some sort. EV-West was suppose to supply one but none came and anyone can see the adapter plate was never machined to have one bolted up. No worries, I can do that! It was so nice to finally have something go right on this build. I was able to bolt up the rear suspension as well. I used grade 8 hardware every where I could. Chip has to come down and sort out his battery boxes. I am going to do a little more to get the go-cart to at least roll around on its wheels. Then it is back to my MK4 build. Once that is done I will be full time back on the 818E. Here is a few pics.

IMG_0980.JPGIMG_0981.JPGIMG_0982.JPGIMG_0984.JPGIMG_0985.JPGIMG_0983.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks nice! Looks like you are re-using the stock motor mounts. Do the engines have support near the commutator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked out this build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjanick View Post
    That looks nice! Looks like you are re-using the stock motor mounts. Do the engines have support near the commutator?
    The adapter plate has brackets in the Subaru engine mount area. We used polyurethane bushings to mount the plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the controllers showed up last Friday. So today Chip cane down from Atlanta with the batteries so we could plan out the boxes and where we can put them. He got to see the car for the first time and seem very pleased. He is such a great guy. We ended up putting 2 behind the drivers seat and 6 behind the passenger seat and 6 on each side of the motors. He is going to have one of his companies make the battery boxes. I will have to modify the inside passenger side firewall some. Once I am done with the MK4 I can finally maybe finish this car. Still some stuff missing from EV-West and a lot of wiring to do for sure. I did have time to make some dust plates for the transmission and adapter plate.

IMG_1009.JPGIMG_1011.JPGIMG_1012.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slick!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! this reminds me of my college days working on an electric race car

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent the MK4 I am building for a customer off for paint. This allows me to do some work on the 818E. When Chip was here last we found out EV-West sent the wrong charger and DC to DC device. So he got the right stuff finally from them as well as the battery boxes all done. I am going to meet him just south of Atlanta at Summit to get all the rest of the parts we need. Today I put it back on the lift and swapped out the batteries for the 12V stuff. We did not feel the Lithium battery we originally bought would work with the EV-West charger. So I had a new regular 12V unit from a 818 I built a few years back. It is brand new so we should be good to go. Hopefully I can make good headway while the MK4 is being painted. I also installed rack limiters so the tires will not hit the frame at full lock. I filled the trans with gear lube only to find out the axle shaft seal leaks, ARG! I ordered new ones from Rock Auto. All part of the fun of donors. LOL.

IMG_1157.JPGIMG_1156.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wallace, can you take a pic of the rack extenders? Thanks
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Hey Wallace, can you take a pic of the rack extenders? Thanks
    They are not extenders. They are limiters. I bought them from tractor supply. They slide over the rack shaft and attach with a set screw. Basically a ring with a set screw just after the inner tie rod end. Sorry but I did not take photos and I buttoned up the boots. They just do not allow the rack to extend so far that the tires do not hit the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    They are not extenders. They are limiters. I bought them from tractor supply. They slide over the rack shaft and attach with a set screw. Basically a ring with a set screw just after the inner tie rod end. Sorry but I did not take photos and I buttoned up the boots. They just do not allow the rack to extend so far that the tires do not hit the frame.
    I meant limiters, lol. But I can now picture what you did. I already clearanced my aluminum to clear but now I'm hitting frame.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    BOTH axle shaft seals leaked? I had that problem and then discovered that the Subaru seals are left or right. They have very, very small grooves on the inside surfaces so if reversed they will both leak.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    BOTH axle shaft seals leaked? I had that problem and then discovered that the Subaru seals are left or right. They have very, very small grooves on the inside surfaces so if reversed they will both leak.
    No only the RS. I am aware of the direction for them. It is a 2005 trans. so it could just be age. I will replace both though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I met Chip at Summit in McDonough, GA. Here is all the booty I brought home. Batteries, boxes and tons of electric stuff, LOL. I will get after it tomorrow for sure. Marsha helped me bleed the clutch Hydraulics. Works well.

IMG_1158.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I removed the seats and firewalls. I then sealed up the sides and floor that are normally open to weather for the gas tank area. I started mounting the batteries that will go where the gas tank is normally. A total of 8 will go there. I got the drivers side all done. Still working on the passenger side. It is nice to get something done on the 818E for a change, LOL.

IMG_1160.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been working on this build believe it or not. The axle seals came in and were the wrong ones. I did locate the correct ones and should be here tomorrow. I have been working on the battery boxes that go in the Engine/Motor compartment, LOL. I did not want them to look like they were delivered to me so I engine turned them. Much better IMO. They are a fairly tight fit but will work out. The battery sensor connectors showed up today as well. I hope the get all the batteries installed and wired up by next week. Then I will start on the rest. A lot of work that I did not foresee for sure. But it is interesting change from internal combustion for sure.

IMG_1182.JPGIMG_1183.JPGIMG_1176.JPGIMG_1179.JPGIMG_1180.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-18-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working diligently on the battery monitoring system wiring. I was able to get the batteries that are in the gas tank area all wired and done. This allowed me to make the secondary firewall to enclose them in. I then engine turned it and mounted the battery boxes. The firewall is mounted using 10-32 S/S button head screws for ease of removal in the need for battery service. I hope to make better progress next week on the wiring and mount the rest of the batteries.

IMG_1201.JPGIMG_1203.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    really makes for a very clean motor compartment vs the IC engine
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    really makes for a very clean motor compartment vs the IC engine
    Looks clean now. Wait till I install all the other stuff, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    After mowing the grass I was able to get in a few hours on the 818E. I installed the last 12 batteries in the battery boxes and installed the ties and BMS (Battery Monitor System) wires to the batteries. I hope to get going on the 144V wiring some starting tomorrow. I still have to close up the battery boxes and neaten up the wires.

IMG_1210.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not I have been working every day on the 818E. Chip was wondering why I was not posting stuff. Well to be an honest man it is because I am not making a lot of progress and it is boring stuff. I am missing more parts and very vague wiring diagrams. Lucky for me Chip is a huge help with the wiring. I had to do a lot of modifications to the battery boxes so we can mount the controllers on top of them. I did run 90% of the wiring from the front of the car to the rear today. Some of the boring stuff that I normally do not post is like soldering this pull up resister to the tach. Not exactly cool stuff, IMO. It is coming along just slower than I would like. Still a gazillion wires to run and attach. Here is some pics to prove I am working, LOL.

IMG_1230.JPGIMG_1231.JPGIMG_1232.JPGIMG_1235.JPGIMG_1236.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiring is the most thankless task, it's hard to relay the work involved with a picture. Keep up the good work!
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got some work done that makes me feel like I accomplished something, LOL. I installed the cooling plates to the controllers and mounted them on top of the battery boxes. I also install the master cutoff switch and have the positive lead terminated there. I mocked up the mounting for the BMS (Battery Monitor System) ECU's. I have a lot of wiring and components to install but at least I feel like I am making headway. Yes that is 145 VDC.

IMG_1247.JPGIMG_1248.JPGIMG_1250.JPGIMG_1252.JPGIMG_1253.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to mount the contactor box. Still waiting on a fuse holder to start on that. I was able to run all the 144V wiring to the charger, A/C compressor and DC 144v to DC 12v unit. I also install a 40A circuit breaker for the 12V DC circuit from the 144v DC to 12v DC converter. I have also run most of the controller wiring that goes to the dash as well as mount the 2 Display units for the controllers. I have a ton of wires hanging out the back of the rear firewall that I have to terminate. At least I feel I am making progress. I was also able to remove some extra wires not needed in the controller harness's.

IMG_1262.JPGIMG_1263.JPGIMG_1265.JPGIMG_1266.JPGIMG_1269.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a good day. I was able to finish up everything for the dash and mount it in place, Yea! I started on the contactor box. I ran the 144V - line and was able to wire up the shunt and motor contractors. Also wired up the 144V + part of the controllers. Hope to get more done tomorrow.

IMG_1275.JPGIMG_1270.JPGIMG_1273.JPGfullsizeoutput_8f.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    A few things have happened since my last post. On 11/10/16 I had to pull the engine from my MK4 and send it back to Blue Print Engines for warranty repair. When I was removing the timing cover I slipped and fell really hard on my tail bone. I saw stars and even got very light headed. I was able to get up on my own and finish carting the engine for shipping. To say I am really sore would be an understatement. I did get back on the 818E today and finished up the 2/0 wires to the motors from the controllers. I was also able to work on the contactor box some as well. I also wired up the Prius access pedal to the primary controller as well. It is nice to be getting something done every day. My wife Marsha said there is way too many wires for her. She said she will stick with gas engines, LOL. It was tight hooking up the wires to the motors for sure. I thought I would post a picture of the hydraulic crimper I have to use on the 2/0 wires and connectors.

IMG_1287.JPGIMG_1288.JPGIMG_1291.JPGIMG_1292.JPGIMG_1293.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Tom. I hope you feel all better soon.
    I would seal all your exposed electrical connection. An easy way to do the motor connectors is to cover it with a small plastic electrical box. Then fill it with RTV.
    Is the little module with a green terminal strip, part of your J1772 charger interface?
    Below is a power distribution box I built about 8 year ago for an electric truck. It had a 200 hp controller for traction. Then a 50 hp for Air conditioner, alternator, air compressor and power steering.
    pdb.jpg
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Looking good Tom. I hope you feel all better soon.
    I would seal all your exposed electrical connection. An easy way to do the motor connectors is to cover it with a small plastic electrical box. Then fill it with RTV.
    Is the little module with a green terminal strip, part of your J1772 charger interface?
    Below is a power distribution box I built about 8 year ago for an electric truck. It had a 200 hp controller for traction. Then a 50 hp for Air conditioner, alternator, air compressor and power steering.
    pdb.jpg
    Bob
    Thanks Bob. I will definitely look into that. I wish I had room to do the same as you did there, nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the contactor box wiring, Yea! I am waiting to hear back from Chip and EV West on some wiring discrepancies they have on the wiring diagrams they sent me. Really wish they would have sent me a schematic based on our setup we bought from them. I have to hunt all over their site to try to determine how the wiring should be done, a real PITA.

IMG_1298.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was waiting for a response from Chip, I decided to stay busy on something other than wiring. I unhooked the 144V + from each controller and insulated it temporarily. I then fired up the contactor box and wanted to charge the A/C and see if it works with the 144V compressor. After fixing a leak on the Benling A/C high side fitting I vacuumed the system down. I then got the Benling A/C running at 35 on the speed controller for it. Well it works great I got the system charged and blows 44 degrees F. The trinary switch from Vintage Air turns the condenser fan on at 230 PSI and off at 200. Finally something works OK, LOL. Chip, once you figure out that A/C controller tie in to the Vintage Air wiring you will have a great A/C system. I started on the cooling system for the controllers. Hope to finish that up soon and Chip sent some wiring answers today as well. I will be very busy for sure but taking Friday off to go to Moultrie, GA. for a swap meet.

IMG_1304.JPGIMG_1305.JPG

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast