FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: fiberglass question?

Post Thanks / Like

fiberglass question?

So now that allot of people have there cars on the road and have been driving for some time. I am curious if anyone has been noticing any cracking or stress cracks in there body work?

Also any areas people recommend to strengthen with fiberglass or make support bars?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Not on my 818, but on my FFR roadster I got star cracks above the wheels from stones being flung up into the fiberglass. Since the same thing will happen to the 818 front fenders, I glued a stiff foam pad to the underside of the fenders. The 818 rear wheel wells protect the rear fenders.
    Here's more: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...34-wheel-wells
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you attach the fiberglass in a "relaxed" position, I don't see why you would end up with stress cracks. I do plan to epoxy some aluminum angle to the underside of the hood, lengthwise as it flaps around a bit at highway speeds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a stress crack near the read left hood pin, but it came from mounting the piece. I simply couldn't find a way to do it without stressing things more than I wanted. I have not gotten any new cracks since registering it 200 road miles ago.

Thanks to AZPete's advice, I glued yoga matts under the front fenders and sprayed them with bed liner to prevent star cracks. They also seem to make the whole front end a little quieter and eliminate the noise from pebbles being flung up at the fender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    I do plan to epoxy some aluminum angle to the underside of the hood, lengthwise as it flaps around a bit at highway speeds.
    That could be due to the small louvers not letting enough air out, if you are using the small FFR ones. Happened to Chad on the track.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass cracks

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    So now that allot of people have there cars on the road and have been driving for some time. I am curious if anyone has been noticing any cracking or stress cracks in there body work?

Also any areas people recommend to strengthen with fiberglass or make support bars?

Cheers
    My MKIV has 7550 miles and no cracks have appeared anywhere. I do caution about using the top of the windshield as a grab point when getting in and out. That pressure cracked my windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post

Cheers
    I have 100+ autocross runs with the body on. With many cone hits. No cracks.
    In each mounting point I used a 5/16 hole for 1/4" bolt with conical washers and rubber washers. This allows a little bit of movement for thermal expansion and cushions impacts. This is especially needed on the bottom screws of the side sails.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up, I am starting the body work soon and will be doing a few mods and will be doing a bit of fiberglass work and was going to add some in a spots if recomended.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got hairline cracks right in the middle of each engine cover hoop right behind seats. I recommend reinforcing right there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    I got hairline cracks right in the middle of each engine cover hoop right behind seats. I recommend reinforcing right there.
    Do you have a picture? That seems like a well-supported area with the bulb seal on the aluminum block off panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I have 100+ autocross runs with the body on. With many cone hits. No cracks.
    In each mounting point I used a 5/16 hole for 1/4" bolt with conical washers and rubber washers. This allows a little bit of movement for thermal expansion and cushions impacts. This is especially needed on the bottom screws of the side sails.
    Bob
    This is a great idea any place specific you got the materiel in bulk for this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive noted that if the rear hump section was not picked up properly, the flex within the panel will cause a crack. Its important to lift at the middle points.

1400miles and no signed of cracking anywhere. I did have spider cracking in the panels at some spots when they were delivered but i believe that was a manufacturing issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have those also, but only on one hump
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always coat the entire underside of my fiberglass bodies with either truck bed liner roll on or lizard skin. Protects as well as strengthens. IMO.