Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Logistics

Post Thanks / Like

818 Logistics

Note: I have read the FAQ and searched through the posts. Don't worry

I've got a few questions about the 818C:

I'm going into my freshman year, and my friend and I want to build an 818C. We have a car group in our area that can lend us tools and advice, so that is not a problem. For people with *little* (not none) mechanical experience, how tough is an 818 to build? What do you guys feel is the most challenging part(s) to completing one?

And also, do you think it is doable at our age and experience?

Thanks,
    Fyre

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend reading through some build threads start to finish, as that will give you the best idea of frustrating areas, tools you need, exciting moments, etc.

I think that by the end of building an 818 you will have a lot of mechanical experience.

I think the biggest issue for someone in school will be funding, as I don't believe anyone has stuck to their budget and no one has completed one for 15k.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to Tamra's suggestion, I would also suggest confirming you will be able to insure it when it is completed. Some younger members have had difficulty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance is going to be the biggest issue bro. As well as financing the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can confirm on insurance/budget. I don't know (or need to know) your financial state, but expect to spend at least $20K between tools, broken parts, replacements for things that don't work, etc.

I ordered my kit at 22 and got it at 23. I'm now 24 and can't get insurance anywhere until I'm 26.

Experience isn't as important as the will to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider building a N/A (non-turbo). It will still be plenty fast, and it will be a lot less hassle, and a lot more driveable. You will have a lot less heat issues to deal with, and save a decent amount of $ on intercooler solution as well as a bit of weight. It will also cost less to find donor parts. It will be less challenging to build. You will still learn a lot. You can focus on building, rather than on inventing.

You'll get on the road sooner, cost less, with a car that will be more enjoyable to just drive around in. It will weigh less, perhaps be more fun to drive at the limit (though less thrilling to drive at the limit).

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother and I are 18 & 17 and ours passed the police safety inspection(all we need is the VIN).. We both had prior mechanical experience and tools but we still learned a lot and ended up buying more tools.

We went with a donor pallet, if I did it again I would go with a donor car. You will have less problems with missing parts and can make money back on the parts you sell.
    A budget is a good idea also. Personally I would not recommend an unlimited budget... because the small things add up..

But it is very rewarding to have completed the car. It looks good on the resume too.