FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Horn and roll connector

Post Thanks / Like

Horn and roll connector

I have resolved most of my electrical gremlins, but none of us has been able to resolve the issue with the horn. It worked at first, but has since stopped working.

The schematic indicates that the horn has continuous power, and the horn button on the steering wheel simply creates a ground to allow it to work. We've checked the fuses and relay and they are all good. We can get the horn(s) to work simply by grounding the Red/green wire on connector B68 at the steering wheel connection.

Is it possible that the steering roll connector has gone bad? Do these ever fail? I'm hoping to avoid pulling the steering wheel if possible, as that is more likely to cause problems than fix them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, if you need an extra roll connector I can send you mine. I'm using an aftermarket steering wheel and hub. The steering wheel isn't that hard to remove, I used this:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/bolt-ty...set-69889.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but I've resolved the problem. I got a single connection working, so I'm using that for the horn since I have removed the cruise control system.

Regards,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys the horn is activated by grounding the horn wire. In the steering column it grounds through the column bearings and then through the steering rack.
    I could not get the continuity through this. I used a spare wire in the coil from the cruise control to run the ground from the solid part of the steering column. Just like pure magic the horn works every time even if you move the steering wheel!