FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 awd?

Post Thanks / Like

Wink 818 awd?

is it even reletivly possible to give the 818 all wheel drive? Not talking about the subaru system, somthing more like the Attessa ET-S system in a R32-R35 Nissan GT-R?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Possible? Yes.

Practical? No.

The easiest way to make an 818 AWD would be a hybrid or all electric approach with a separate electric motor in front.

For an all mechanical solution, it would probably just be easier to flip the motor around and make it rear-engined. I personally think that would ruin the car, better to get an AWD 911!

Low-slung, mid-engined cars and AWD results in very tricky routing of the drive shaft to get to the front axle... just look at an AWD Gallardo!

Post Thanks / Like
    What I would do if I was going for it is electric motors in the front wheels. It's something that's crossed my mind for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    ive thought of both of those, but a Attessa like system is doable to

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ni...ned-35006.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Possible? Yes.

Practical? No.

The easiest way to make an 818 AWD would be a hybrid or all electric approach with a separate electric motor in front.

For an all mechanical solution, it would probably just be easier to flip the motor around and make it rear-engined. I personally think that would ruin the car, better to get an AWD 911!

Low-slung, mid-engined cars and AWD results in very tricky routing of the drive shaft to get to the front axle... just look at an AWD Gallardo!

the Lamborghini Huracan/ Audi R8 dnt have that problem? Niether the Aventador?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why does everyone want AWD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    i have a AMG engine in mine, so i actually need it for absolute performance....as for everyone else...idk

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    also You will need to completely rework the front suspension, FFRs current coilover design blocks any sort of access to the front hubs. you will need to do quite a lot of fab/engineering.

wait a second... you have a Mercedes AMG engine? in that case you are likely going to modify most/all of the rear frame.

If you are serious about AWD you might as well just build a chassis from scratch at that point.

Are you a fabricator?
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 09-03-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be a big waste of time and money.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard720 View Post
    the Lamborghini Huracan/ Audi R8 dnt have that problem? Niether the Aventador?
    Of course they do! The Gallardo was just the first pic I found that shows the complexity of a mid-engined, longitudinally mounted AWD set-up.

ive thought of both of those, but a Attessa like system is doable to
    The GTR is front engined. There's just not enough room between the motor and rear axle in an 818 (or probably any mid-engined platform) to fit that gearbox and diff in.

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    wait a second... you have a Mercedes AMG engine? in that case you are likely going to modify most/all of the rear frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    It would be a big waste of time and money.
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Agreed totally... If you want to build an AWD supercar, the 818 is not the right platform. Trying to add mechanical AWD is against the spirit of the 818 (& Colin Chapman):

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    also You will need to completely rework the front suspension, FFRs current coilover design blocks any sort of access to the front hubs. you will need to do quite a lot of fab/engineering.

If you are serious about AWD you might as well just build a chassis from scratch at that point.

Are you a fabricator?
    yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Of course they do! The Gallardo was just the first pic I found that shows the complexity of a mid-engined, longitudinally mounted AWD set-up.

The GTR is front engined. There's just not enough room between the motor and rear axle in an 818 (or probably any mid-engined platform) to fit that gearbox and diff in.

Agreed totally... If you want to build an AWD supercar, the 818 is not the right platform. Trying to add mechanical AWD is against the spirit of the 818 (& Colin Chapman):
    not tryna build a super car, just a STI, mustang GT destroyer, my way(*devil face)

Post Thanks / Like
    plus the peps at RSW actually know of a way to do a Mid engined attessa style AWD system

Post Thanks / Like
    that can be maintained, modifictaions, greatly but, in the end itll still look stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    take a look at mine. I think I a doing the only AWD 818. . . at least that I know of...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok bro

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, to clarify. Its a AMG Turbo4 from the GLA 355 HP, a 7G Automatic transmission. So AWD makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, to clarify. Its a AMG Turbo4 from the GLA 355 HP, a 7G Automatic transmission. So AWD makes sense.
    I'm all around fascinated to see where the conversation leads, but can you clarify what part of your comment triggers the statement that "AWD makes sense"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    I'm all around fascinated to see where the conversation leads, but can you clarify what part of your comment triggers the statement that "AWD makes sense"?
    It feels a lot like a troll job. I've been around forums to long to believe this kind of thing with out pictures to prove me wrong.
    "aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines" - some old dude

"Shut up! I know what I'm doing" - some angry finn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post
    It feels a lot like a troll job. I've been around forums to long to believe this kind of thing with out pictures to prove me wrong.
    Good point. I was starting to think that too, but I haven't seen much, if any, trolling on this forum. People seem to turn it into some kind of sport over on NASIOC and it gets toxic.

Post Thanks / Like
    An ex-work colleague build an AWD car based on the Mitsubishi EVO running gear, transverse engine in the rear, drive rerouted to the front and the evo rear diff mounted in the front.
    I believe it is running on direct injection LPG (to beat the local emission laws) and is about 400 whp
    Up to now it hasn’t been that fast but its still to be fully sorted
    riot.jpg
    It can be done, but best to divorce your wife and sell your house beforehand, you'll need to do both to get it finished

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 508wrx View Post
    Me too. This guy claims to have several FFR cars and started several threads about all kind of crazy stuff. TROLL - PROVE US WRONG! Who's gonna put an AMG engine in an 818?! OK BRO.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 10-14-2015 at 05:19 PM.