Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Rack Question

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Rack Question

A week or so ago I was ripping my car around the neighborhood and hit a sunk manhole cover and it through off my steering wheel by 20 degrees. When de-powering the rack, is simply followed the direction in the manual and did not mess with anything internal. I did add some power steering fluid into the rack for some lubrication and is there a chance that I blew one of the seals or damaged the rack? I also have a steering wheel hub and quick release and don't think that would have jumped a tooth but i guess is a possibility. Any thoughts here would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your tie rods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coloskydiver View Post
    A week or so ago I was ripping my car around the neighborhood and hit a sunk manhole cover and it through off my steering wheel by 20 degrees. When de-powering the rack, is simply followed the direction in the manual and did not mess with anything internal. I did add some power steering fluid into the rack for some lubrication and is there a chance that I blew one of the seals or damaged the rack? I also have a steering wheel hub and quick release and don't think that would have jumped a tooth but i guess is a possibility. Any thoughts here would be appreciated.
    I would check your steer shaft u-joint for proper torque.
    I would not drive it until problem and solution have been found.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,s right sounds like a bent tie-rod for sure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. The tie rod's look okay and will need to slip the u joint off to take a look. The won't be driving the car anytime soon so I will have some time to dig into it.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    if both wheels are off equally I would say yeah you may have jumped some splines on the steering u joint
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I can't find a U-Joint part number anywhere...going to have to buy a new one.

I think I found it: 34170FE020, but yikes. $160.
    Last edited by Maximus; 01-16-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan