FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818S/C Softer Ride

Post Thanks / Like

818S/C Softer Ride

Hi All,

So about two weeks ago I was able to go for a ride in a 818S here in Denver and I want to thank ColoskyDiver for the ride.

But one question that I cam up latter on after the ride was over about making the ride softer / smother?

The only reason why I ask because we do have some awesome road to drive here in Colorado but they are no ware close to
    being smooth, in fact most of them are ruff as a cob and well just ridding around with the provided shocks did beat me up a little
    and it has me considering a different project.

I do plan to use the 818 mostly for a good day street driver and maybe do a little auto cross.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You could run smaller rims like 16s or 15s and use taller tires. The side walls will provide a softer ride. There are probably softer seats out there as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was wondering would the Koni Double Adjustable Shocks help in this area?

Post Thanks / Like
    softer spring rates

Post Thanks / Like
    do taller sidewall tires first, makes a HUGE difference in ride yet you will still benefit from the suspension development
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    do taller sidewall tires first, makes a HUGE difference in ride yet you will still benefit from the suspension development
    RM1sepEx what suspension development do you speak of?

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR and Koni did TONS of work to develop the package that came with your kit. If you wish to do your own development it will take many hours with testing equipment and conditions that are consistent. As an individual that time is hard to find and make good use of, never mind that almost all of us are unqualified to do the driving and the determination of what to change and how much. Unless you are a racing driver with experience, leave the suspension and handling development to the experts! ;-)

Many newer cars ride harshly due to the low compliance of a narrow tire sidewall, you will soften the ride quality while allowing the suspension to react to bumps and weight transfer forces as designed. The shorter sidewall from bigger dia. wheels and low profile tires eliminates "squirm" displacement of the tire under load relative to the rim, but that comes at a cost of ride harshness.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    So I had done some reading on the 33 Hot Rod form and some of the builders are taking the rear springs and moving them to the front and then ordering lighter springs for the rear would this also help me in my quest for a smother ride?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't soften it much it drags easy now! I'd destroy my header and splitter. One parking lot blast and I heard tons of scraping
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisromersh View Post
    So I had done some reading on the 33 Hot Rod form and some of the builders are taking the rear springs and moving them to the front and then ordering lighter springs for the rear would this also help me in my quest for a smother ride?
    Louis
    I have changed the shocks and springs on my 33 but since it isn't on the road yet I can't say exactly how mine will ride. I can say that FF builds cars that are very low and very stiff for race car type handling.
    I had to raise my 33 so it can get in/out of my driveway. I did go to taller sidewalls both for the ride and for the look but as stated above too much of that will make the car squirm or delay on turn in etc.
    The other issue of softer suspension is the need for sway bar/s after a certain point and that can get more complicated to keep a balanced car with those involved. Ride vs handling is very subjective, the good
    thing is springs are one of the cheapest parts on the car and good adjustable shocks are always worth the money.
    Dale Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Guy's thanks for all of the input it will help me when ever I get the chance to do my Kit but I have done some looking on the internet and found that Ridetech sells a coil over air system called ShockWave.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/shockwaves/

So could this give me what I'm looking for when I'm not trying to get it out of a drive way or in and out of parking lots I can lift the vehicle and then when driving a can lower and smooth out the car.

The only problem is where do I put the air system in the car?

Thanks for your input.