BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Two donors on IAAI

Post Thanks / Like

Two donors on IAAI

So recently I found out that donor cars can be had for much cheaper through wrecked car auctions such as IAAI. Then I found out that it was an extremely shady business, so I need your guys' help. I found two potential donor WRXs:
    https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...oadRecent=True
    [s]https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=19895097&Ro wNumber=4&loadRecent=True[/s]

I live in the Bay Area so the second option is much closer to me. However, it appears to be in a much worse state. The one in Colorado "Runs and Drives" (who knows) and appears to have minor front bumper damage.

So what do you guys think? What should I go with, or none of the above?

Edit: The LA one is a WRX STI. So forget that.
    Last edited by fyrewhirl; 09-05-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's extremely shady about insurance auctions?

The first one you linked would make a good donor but the miles are very high. My advice is to find something with as low miles as possible in an area that doesn't have a lot of rust.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2006 WRX came from an auction. I limited my search to "runs and drives," which in my case was true. It arrived by rollback with three flat tires and no battery. It did make it off of the truck and into my drive with coolant pouring out, and the timing belt had skipped a few teeth. Shady? No, I don't think so. The internet pictures clearly showed a frontal crash and a damaged radiator. Risk? Yes. I could have ended up with a bad but running engine. But it was very cheap, even with the fees.

Would I buy via an insurance auction again? Yes, but I might have gone for a non turbo. The extra power is cool but unnecessary for my type of driving.