Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Trunk space

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk space

Hello everyone. I have been trolling the site for a few weeks and trying to gather as much information as I can while I contemplate the huge decision to attempt to build one of these hot rods. Is there any room in the trunk for groceries? Luggage? Golf clubs?

Thank you
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    An apple, gym bag and a putter. So, yes! Seriously, the space is limited and some are mounting the battery there also. I went to the build school and expect to pick my kit up in a couple of weeks. I remember the trunk space being small but I'm sure others can give you a better idea of what will fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    I went to the build school
    How was it?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's small but not terrible. the three link takes some additional room. I have the 4 link, so this is maximum room. You can easily get 4 gym bags in, possibly 6, but no large, rigid suitcases. Pic is a little hard to see with the black carpet swallowing the light. you can see there are two levels. image.jpg
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my battery as in the manual. I could fit 3 fold up chairs and our cooler easy even with the 3-link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, has anyone done a truck bed for one of these? I've seen Vman's pictures and think that would be pretty slick. I'm curious how difficult it would be to get over/around the rear end. Would an IRS be better in this situation? Would the bed box end up being only a few inches deep? Very curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fit 4 chairs, a 20qt cooler and 5 gallon bucket of cleaning supplies in without a problem. The 3-link does take up some room so I had to be creative when loading.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    The school was worthwhile in my opinion. My wife and girls gave me permission so I jumped on the chance. I'm probably handyman level at best and it was what I needed to convince me I could build a "by the manual" version. You can be hands on or stand back and take it all in but the ability to look at each and every part of the build was very nice. The commrodery and friendships during the class was great also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jceckard View Post
    Out of curiosity, has anyone done a truck bed for one of these? I've seen Vman's pictures and think that would be pretty slick. I'm curious how difficult it would be to get over/around the rear end. Would an IRS be better in this situation? Would the bed box end up being only a few inches deep? Very curious.
    J
    I just toured Factory Five on Thursday and discussed that very topic with Dave Smith. "He would still like to do a truck version of the 33 and they have had a few discussions about changing door swing and front end designs to make it look right if/when they do it".
    My opinion is that the rear clip/everything behind the waterfall tubing would have to be re-designed and an IRS would restrict bed space even more than a 3 link so to me a 4 link is the best truck combo. I prefer the sedan delivery style and think a full roll cage may be a good way to carry that body and integrate the suspension mounts for a new rear clip. Dave gave a very nice tour and was an incredible host for the 4 of us.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpatts View Post
    Hello everyone. I have been trolling the site for a few weeks and trying to gather as much information as I can while I contemplate the huge decision to attempt to build one of these hot rods. Is there any room in the trunk for groceries? Luggage? Golf clubs? Thank youJim
    jim
    Thursday during my tour I just asked Dave Smith to improve the trunk space if/when they do a MK2 33 and he did agree to consider it.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Hammink performance here in NL build or at least mocked up a 33 with a trunk bed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses. Although the 33 is a hot rod I still have thoughts of using it to do some touring, and that would require some trunk space....unless the old lady stays home . Great forum and excellent response form eve ryone..Thank you
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I can fit 10 gallons of beer in my trunk with the 3 Link and battery.

14. Likes shmelty liked this post