Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finally started taking apart my donor, but already have problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally started taking apart my donor, but already have problems.

Now that the hectic summer is over I finally started pulling apart my donor yesterday. My plan was to go through the drive train over the winter and order the kit in the spring. Problem is, I got the intake off yesterday and found the partial vin on the block and it doesn't math the the title. Car is a 1990 and the motor is a 92. Also, the tag is still on the diff. great right? Not really. The date code on the tag says it was manufactured 3 months after the car and it has 2.73 gears and the door tag says it should have 3.08 Can't wait to get the trans out and see where that came from. I'm thinking my donor is no good to me. Wife's not to happy, looks like I wasted $1500.00. I can't even sell the car, when I tried to title it Dmv said it was totaled to my suprise. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I'm completely bummed this is not a good way to start out. I'm in New York by the way. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you think that the parts are no good to you? Possible titling/registration issues? I know all states are different but in mine (Indiana) they have never checked engine trans or rear end numbers during the registration process---which is a good thing since some of the cars I've built have used crate motors and all new parts which have no numbers

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff
    in NY part of the titling process involves going to the troopers
    they will then inspect the engine trans and rear for vin numbers
    if they do not match the title then they have to run the numbers looking for stolen parts
    if any come up bad then the car owner will have to remove those parts on the spot.
    It has happened before to a HR owner I believe.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mark! I guess the proactive thing for KegMechanic to do would be to have the numbers of his donor parts run prior to proceeding.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it possible to check out the parts before assembly? Do you know any NY state troupers who could help you out?
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if it's even possible to have the engine checked with just the partial vin? It's only the last 8 digits

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe check here?http://www.rmiia.org/auto/auto_theft/NICB_VinCheck.asp Not sure if it will help if its only a partial #. Jeff's last suggestion is likely the wisest route. Present the question to DMV and go from there. I assume you have a bill of sale?
    Last edited by DaleG; 09-13-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the engines only had the last digits of the car's VIN stamped onto the block.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I know Md is super tight on numbers. Sounds like NY is similar. A friend had the same situation in Md and he had to get a lawyer to get the person he bought his car from (6 years previously) and talk her into swearing some kind of paperwork to back up his story. The DMV has already given you somewhat bad news but, I would find out the process you will eventually be going through and who will be doing the inspection. You might as well talk to them now. There may be ways to get around the problem. The innocent, calm, is there any way out of this mess I am in, approach may work for you. It eventually did for my friend.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I'm going to do is finish pulling the car apart and see if the transmission Vin matches. Then I'm going to call Dmv. The more I think about it i should be able to use the rear end. it still has a tag from 1990 and I don't think they would even know the manufacture date of my donor during the trooper inspection. So if I'm able to use the trans and rear from the donor that's not so bad. I can sell the motor I have and get another one, maybe a crate. I was under the assumption that I had to run fuel injection, cats and all the other emissions from 1990, but I was just reading that custom cars in New York only require gas cap and PCV. Anybody know if that is true? I think I'd rather go the carb route if I'm allowed, like the look better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still not following. If the numbers from the engine don't show up on a "hot" list why couldn't/wouldn't you use it? If you get another won't you be facing the same issue---numbers not matching the VIN of the car you have the title for? Seems to me that if the numbers do not come back as stolen there shouldn't be a problem...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff.. It's my understanding in New York we need proof of purchase for the three main drive train components. With the motor vin not matching my donor title I have no proof I legally obtained it. If I were to buy a crate motor or a used from a salvage yard I would have a receipt for the motor. I hope I'm wrong and you are right. I should be able to finish getting the motor/trans removed by mid week and then I'll call DMV. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found the Vin on the trans last night and that matches, so I'm feeling a little better now. I was starting to think the car might have been stolen. I'm having trouble reading the last number on the block. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks!!vin.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran the picture through a photo edit and looks like the last visible digit is a 2. The digits showing look to be "NF 116662"
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to try and get a pencil rubbing of the numbers - that may confirm what King found when washing the picture.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    It is even possible that the engine was a warranty replacement from Ford. I wonder if you could find that out from a dealer or Ford directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for everyone's advice. Finished getting the motor out last night and cleaned the vin area like it was new. The last number just isn't there. Oh well, the motor seems pretty rough anyway. Cylinder 7 had slightly low compression. I think I'll just put it on craigslist and start thinking about a crate motor. Now I'll move on to trans. Going to open it up this weekend inspect. Hopefully it looks good enough to rebuild. If I can use the trans, rear end and a few other things like the pedal box all is not lost. Just at the beginning of this project but I'm sucked in and loving it so far. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    HA ! In Temecula Ca you go to the DMV and ask for the Mangr. Shelly. Tell her you got your parts from Jeff Miller and she'll say " "Ha The junk yard dog"....."went to school with my ex"......"how's that piece of crap with legs doing these days" then she'll tear up half your paperwork, charge you half what you should pay and tell you "Tell Jeff he still owes me a slow dance (long story).... and you're golden. ...da Bat