BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing Security and other modules from 06 WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Removing Security and other modules from 06 WRX

So has anyone figured out how to remove the immobilizer, body integrated unit, keyless entry and security system out of a 2006+ wrx? I've searched and couldnt really find much except that with 04 and under you can remove them and jumper like 2 wires and everything would be fine and even sometimes just not having to do anything and it all works. I've already tried removing the security system and it started up but then died seconds later. Trying to clean up the wiring and removing anything I don't need/want. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    lets get iWire to chime in, Im wanting to do this same thing. Where are you in SoCal? Im in Newport

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    So has anyone figured out how to remove the immobilizer, body integrated unit, keyless entry and security system out of a 2006+ wrx?
    I looked for this information also. One way is to just tie wrap a Key (with chip) next to the antenna. Then you can go to pushbutton start or what ever you want. I suspect this is what most are doing.

A second method might be to flash the ECU with a non-immobilizer hex file.

My ECU is 32bit with 04 forester XT 5 speed firmware. (no immobilizer)

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm working on this now as well. I have an 07 WRX donor. I don't think you can delete the immobilizer or it's antenna module. I'm going to see if you can delete the keyless module and the body integrated controller by simply trying to unplug them and seeing if the car will start.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the car starts and idles with the keyless entry box removed and the body integrated control unit removed. I did keep the immobilizer and it's antenna connected. I'm guessing this means it's ok but tough to know for sure since I can't drive the car yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I'm redoing the wiring myself so hard to drive right now. I'll try this weekend and see what doesn't have to be there. Keyless entry can be removed though right? I don't think the security system requires it right?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    From my testing, the keyless entry doesn't have to be there. However, even though the car starts and runs fine without the Body Integrated Control Module in place, I would not suggest deleting it because I've learned that it controls a lot of things you will want to keep like instrument panel illumination, etc. As part of dieting the radio, AC, clock, and a few other items, I appear to have removed some wires that are needed for the instrument panel illumination (since they are all spliced together) so now I'm sitting here trying to connect things, one by one, until I get back to having instrument cluster lighting. So far no dice.

Post Thanks / Like
    PleiadsMan and Zodiac
    You weren't around when I did my harness.
    I used a different method than most.
    See http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post146406
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty cool looking! A few people on the forum have spent a lot of time on the wiring and made it look very nice.

I figured out my issue and fixed it by reconnecting a couple of wires. No big deal, but took like 4 hours of tracing through wiring diagrams and the harness to figure it out.

So to answer the original question, you could delete the keyless module but I wouldn't delete the body integrated controller, and you need to keep the immobilizer and antenna.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can delete both the security and body integrated unit and the immobilizer will still function. You can not delete the immobilizer. If you delete the integrated unit, you'll have some other issues to address (although they can be solved other ways) depending on what you'll be hooking up.
    When we say to our customers "if there is anything you need, please ask," we mean it.
    iWire Subaru Wiring Services
    Over 100 Custom 818 Wiring Harnesses Built
    http://www.iwireservices.com/factory...18-wiring-kits
    [email protected]

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brian. I found a number of issues deleting the body integrated (like you said though, I'm sure they could be worked around).

Are there any issues that have to be worked around when deleting the keyless security module? From my testing, it doesn't seem like there is anything that I lose, but I'm hesitant to chop all the wires out unless I know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thats good to know. Definitely helps clean and lighten things up. As for the nody integrated unit I'll look into seeing if getting rid of that is worth it or not. The others I'll have removed and start up the car and confirm everything is good before I start cutting

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an extra integrated unit if youre interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Well finished building the wiring harness and got everything all connected but now the car won't start

On the cluster I just have the security light blinking (slowly if that matters) and nothing happens when I put the key in or turn to on or anything. I only have the body module and the immobilizer hooked up and removed the keyless entry. Was that a mistake? Or is there possibly something else causing me to get locked out?

I'm looking at everything and all the wires look to be going to the right places but I just can't get it to do anything. Wish there was some way to just bypass the stupid immobilizer ugh
    Last edited by Zodiac; 11-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So after MUCH research today I came across this post for a conversion. But it does seem pretty accurate from what I can tell. I have my pin 26 white red cable from immobilizer going to the Ignition Starter & Steering Lock Assembly (even though the wiring diagram NEVER mentions pin 26) but yea still nothing.

The post says it also goes to pin 19 of the ECM cable B135. Can anyone help confirm this so I don't connect it and possibly blow something up because my diagram shows B139/19 is a GR green red cable that's fused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    So after MUCH research today I came across this post for a conversion. But it does seem pretty accurate from what I can tell. I have my pin 26 white red cable from immobilizer going to the Ignition Starter & Steering Lock Assembly (even though the wiring diagram NEVER mentions pin 26) but yea still nothing.

The post says it also goes to pin 19 of the ECM cable B135. Can anyone help confirm this so I don't connect it and possibly blow something up because my diagram shows B139/19 is a GR green red cable that's fused.
    it doesnt go to that pin on the ecu. pin 26 goes from the WR wire on the immobilizer to the WR wire on the ignition starter and steering lock assy. from there it goes to a white wire on the main fuse box, F37 pin 2

Post Thanks / Like
    here's the immobilizer diagram i used (2006 wrx),

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed my integrated control module and almost every relay from my 2002 harness. If you think about it as "how do I make the harness do what I want" versus "how do I change the harness to keep it the same functionality". you always have to weigh the options of entirely removing something versus keeping it. The one problem with this is the challenge of a lack of available pinouts of the ECU

Post Thanks / Like
    ^thats what i did haha. i kept the immobilizer, ecu and engine harness. and just wired everything in between how i wanted it to be/where i wanted it to be. much easier than trying to follow wires through other relays, modules, etc.
    also, if anyone wants it, i have an all data DIY subscription for a 2006 wrx, I used the diagrams on it to wire everything on my 818, as well as tq specs, etc if it helps anyone, i can give you my login info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I cut all connectors I was keeping them wired everything out to go where I wanted. Much easier than 'fixing' the stock harness rats nest lol.

Well good thing is I think I figured out what's wrong. My immobilizer is powered through the ignition power and not battery so it seems it's never getting power in the first place to do it's thing. Well I'll be working on it soon but most likely after the busy holiday weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    philly, careful how many people you give the login info to. Alldata tracks IP addresses and if you have too many, they'll suspend your account. It usually only requires a phone call to say 'omg my password musta been haxed!!' to get it straightened out. Just a heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    PleiadsMan and Zodiac
    You weren't around when I did my harness.
    I used a different method than most.
    See http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post146406
    Hi everyone, long time tuner and techie, but new member here.

I was recently ask to handle the wiring duties on a 818 project for a friend. It's a track only car, with the InfinityBox power cells setup and AIM display for all gauges. The 06 WRX harness was a twisted pile of wires when I agreed to tackle it. Like Bob, I started with the ECM and 4 main engine plugs. Hacked off everything else but the 3 primary power relays and what connectors I found related to engine sensors and actuators. That's got me down to about about 30 cut wires, and half those look to be unused and will be getting the ax..

While pinning these out I found the immobilizer pair from the ECM plug. Because this car is a track only setup, no need to keep the switch and key. So I did some searching on bypassing the immobilizer and found a few options listed on Subaru forums. First was run a 04 ECM on the 06 engine. Second was pop open the immobilizer ECU and jumper some relays. Last was leave it along with antenna ring, and tape the key under the dash. So I ask what you guys suggest?

Since this is getting a custom ECM tune, can it easily be written out like VATS on a GM? Or do we need to look at other options?

Thanks

-K

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing this thread back from the dead. Still looking for a way to delete the immobilizer on a 2006 WRX Turbo. I have the module and could make it work, but my understanding is that you have to keep the stock dash cluster, which I have no desire to do. I called Cobb and the Accessport does not have an option to disable the immobilizer check (I know PATS for Ford can be disabled by some tuners). At this point I would be happy with just finding a link to how to jumper the relays inside the immobilizer box, but I can't even find that which was mentioned above.

Thanks