Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headers

Post Thanks / Like

Headers

I'm ready to purchase the exhaust headers for my 289. I'm installing a 302 with a 8 stack EFI system. Can anyone help me decide which one to purchase. Is it worth the extra money to purchase them with ceramic coating to aid in keeping the foot-wells cooler. Or should I just purchase a painted set and have them ceramic powder coated in a local shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with the ceramic coated ones from FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    The ones from FFR will not work on a 289, They have to be unequal shorty headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you looked at BBK?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a new member building a 289 roadster, using a 1965 289 HiPo engine with original iron heads. I have a question about the headers now as well. I have a set of Ford factory headers from a late 80's mustang to use for fit/mockup. My intent was to prove they fit, and buy a free flowing version of the same configuration header. Drivers side fits fine (flipped side to side so outlet is forward), however passenger side hits the upper stud/nut on the new motor mounts and prevents the bottom of the flange from contacting the head by quite a bit. But I am not sure that one isn't sprung out of whack, it is dented on the lower pipe. I really don't want to have to bash a dent in a header to get it to fit, nor weld the motor mount and cut the stud off. I would like to know what you (retropt) found to fit.
    I looked at all 69 pages of Summits website, and see BBK 1515 (appears most likely), and Flowtech 12107FLT as possibilities, and Hedman 88600 possible.
    Your feedback is appreciated.
    PeteH

Post Thanks / Like
    I am reasonably new here as well. I purchased my headers from BBK and am very satisfied with them. The are ceramic coated. Part # BBK 15150. I bolted them up to my Mike Forte 306 motor this past weekend and they fit and look great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    An update,
    I bought the BBK 1515 Chrome version, and they fit perfectly, Had to rotate the Alternator to the top and make a bracket to attach the adjustable bar to. The J pipes are different lengths, about 2" different, once I figured that out and swapped things around, it took some fiddling and pushing to get the side pipes to hang where they should but it all came together nicely. Thanks again.