Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: And so it begins!

Post Thanks / Like

And so it begins!

Hello,
    Every journey starts somewhere.
    The idea of building started 6 months ago, since then I've followed builds as if it was my own, except for the driving after part, the best part.
    My build plan has changed a number of times thanks to information from the experienced builders, no small advantage to us newbies.. Still doing research but the opinions offered in the forum have a lot of great perspectives in order to make one's own decision. I figure the plan is never really settled till the last rivet is struck.

Still wrestling with the engine decision, Coyote (a little more involved than what I'm comfortable with at this point) vs BP 347ci, but I think that question needs to be settled before the call is made to FF.
    I understand the coyote represents current engine technology, with a lot of great reviews and of course there is the additional HP from the block as well but there is something about the sound of a cam'd engine that can't be overlooked.
    Still workin the balance on this decision.
    I wanted make by first post to be my introduction and to thank all of you in advance for the patience, the questions don't always change but the faces do.
    Jeff J.

2. Thanks kiteboardobx thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Jeff!

Congratulations on your new adventure! You don't mention where you live, but there are FFR enthusiasts all over and most are very helpful and supportive. Likewise, this forum is packed with good sound advice and a lot of experience. Few people build these cars in a vacuum, and most of your fellow enthuisists are also enthusiastic about helping others enjoy the adventure as well. We're in SC, near Myrtle Beach.

On engines, there are a lot of differing opinions, including dropping a Chevy in there. I went with a slightly built 347 and a Dart block (from Fortes) because I wanted the look and sound. But there are a lot of options. There are also numerous vendors who offer a varity of services and components, including engine and transmission packages (BP, Forte's and Levy come to mind for engine packages). I encourage you to review the "Vendors" forum and become familiar with them, and the services/components each offer. I've found that every supporting vendor I've contacted is extremely helpful, and very generous with their time and advice.

Again, Welcome and stop by if you're in the area. Always willing to chat cars and meet other FFR owners.

Rich B.
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

4. Thanks Jeff_J. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rich, looking forward to reading the experiences of other builders like yourself.
    J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_J. View Post
    Hello,
    ..Still wrestling with the engine decision, Coyote (a little more involved than what I'm comfortable with at this point) vs BP 347ci, but I think that question needs to be settled before the call is made to FF.
    I understand the coyote represents current engine technology, with a lot of great reviews and of course there is the additional HP from the block as well but there is something about the sound of a cam'd engine that can't be overlooked...
    I wrestled with the decision of coyote or not which took me reading others posts. Give Paul's (Edwardb) 20th anniversary a good read to see what's involved. Many of us have used his work (and others) as guidance. At first some of the wiring was daunting but it all starts to make sense and all in all IMO the coyote was no big deal. Pretty much "plug in and go". I have 1500 on my Gen2 and it starts and runs like a beast. If I did it again, another coyote would be in spec.
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi nuhale!
    Thanks for the input, I have read Edwardb's build threads, and he does have a gift of making it sound easy.. Like you mentioned, I wondered if I was up to the task on the wiring, after the 4 - 5 read of the 20th anniversary build the pieces started to come together and i started to think the coyote might not be so bad. Still have a lot of work to do on the plan and reading of others experiences.. Keep posting!!
    Jeff