Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Round 5 USTCC Race

Post Thanks / Like

Round 5 USTCC Race

Well, we had a pretty good weekend going with a solid start that saw the FFR PDG GTM move from 6th place to 3rd from the standing start and before turn 2 at Sears Point, but, unfortunately, further back in the field there was a first corner incident that led to two cars totaled and two ambulances taking the drivers away. I don't know the condition of the drivers, but am hoping that they are both doing well. So the end result is that the stewards went back to qualifying positions to score the race as it took over the races 30 minute window to remove the cars and repair the track/wall.

Bottom line is that we ended up 4th in points out of 7 starters, and are still leading the year end points by 155 points.

"But wait, he said he started 6th?"

Well the 3rd place car/driver was a little confused apparently on how to go about a standing start. The instructions were that the inside car for turn 1 would be the pole position, so I would be starting outside 2nd row. As we came around to stop the guy that qualified in position 3 went in my position while I was stopping behind him waiting for him to move over. The other racers, being racers, took full advantage and moved the line forward on the inside so now instead of me starting outside 2nd row, I started outside 3rd row, or what was effectively 6th position. No matter, as when the green flag dropped the black Camaro in front of me again seemed a bit confused and I made my way to the hole up the middle moving from 6th to 3rd before turn 2. It was a good start and we were looking forward to a good race. Just sorry we did not get to run any laps and hope the guys are alright and can get their cars back on track for next month.

More info can be seen here, http://www.ustcc.com/, and here is a picture of one of the cars involved in the incident...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crash; 09-28-2015 at 04:37 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I would love to do standing starts. Of course since it makes for a more exciting turn one as our two friends can attest there are also down sides to the format.

Glad to hear you guys are doing well.

In our region spec e 30 have standing starts for a few races. Since everybody is basically buzzing along at the same speed the risk is lower I guess.

I love how you can't practice the first turn from a standing start. People often over brake using their normal line and braking points. Going much slower you can brake later and take other lines. Of course that leads to wrecks as well. Sure is fun if you make it through!
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    It was definitely unfortunate. The way our races work is that there are two classes starting at the same time. The series has a GT class, which is almost unlimited and is where we run, and then there is the TC or Touring Car class which is really what USTCC is about, so they typically have 15 to 30 cars just in the TC class which does the standing start at the same green flag that the GT class uses, but we separate the classes by a couple of starting grid positions. So basically what you have is a group of 5-10 really fast cars starting in front of a large group of much slower cars. The problem comes in when the "much slower cars" really aren't that much slower than the slower GT cars, it is getting later in the season, and people are looking to maximize points in the TC class going into turn one. Such was the case this weekend as the crash involved a slower GT car and the TC car that is currently in 3rd place for year end points as he caught the GT car going into turn one.
    Last edited by crash; 09-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts