BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question on setting camber

Post Thanks / Like

Question on setting camber

Took my 818 in for an alignment, and the tech ( very experienced with FFR cars) says that the front-side upper control arm adjusting bolts are both too long to get the camber down to -0.5. I believe that the longer sleeves were on the front side, and the shorter ones on the back side. The rear set seems fine for adjustment range, but the fronts are too long.

Has anyone else run into this? If so, how did you resolve it? The tech here suggests simply cutting 1/2" off of each bolt to create the extra space needed to reach a camber of -0.5. Is this a good idea or not?

Regards,

Dave
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to trim the longer bolt a few threads on the passenger side. I set mine at -1.0

It comes down to a variety of adjustments, I have STI aluminum arms and they add a bit of caster due to their geometry. How much caster did you get?
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to -0.3 on the passenger side, and 0.1 on the drivers side. Not a lot of change needed. I'm hoping that shortening the bolts a wee bit will be enough.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    We cut the bolts quite a bit to get to -2 in the front.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are talking minus numbers, you must be talking camber - right? You always want positive caster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we were discussing camber. The upper control arm bolts are too long to get very much negative camber unless you cut them shorter.
    Tamra
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    What length is needed on the upper bolts to get the desired camber?

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends... as you adjust each arm's length you adjust caster and camber at the same time. I got 3 degrees of caster and -1 degree camber with a 3-4 thread cut of the longer bolt and the 1.1 in IIRC cut of the shorter one (FFR specified length) I have the older, angled ball joints. I only had to cut the stud on the longer arm on the passenger side. The driver's side went into my desired settings w/o cutting the stud on the longer sleeved arm.

It just takes time playing with the lengths as each change effects the other settings too
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    What length is needed on the upper bolts to get the desired camber?
    Page 101 in latest manual. The bottom of this drawing is the front of the car.
    SAFETY After alignment, make sure adequate thread engagement on the end of each tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-09-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut both sleeves, and with a 12mm lower control arm spacer, I was able to get up to almost -5.0 degrees each side and around 7 degrees of caster. I adjusted back from there. So there is a large amount of adjustment in those sleeves for cutting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the diagram: does the flat face of the upper ball joint have to remain parallel to the pivot shaft? When I adjust for extra pos. caster the two are no longer parallel. Is this a problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Looking at the diagram: does the flat face of the upper ball joint have to remain parallel to the pivot shaft? When I adjust for extra pos. caster the two are no longer parallel. Is this a problem?
    That is not a problem at all.

NOTE: you should have the 4 7/16" bolts snug (not tight ) while you are adjusting the threaded tubes. Then tighten when done.

SAFETY Before driving, make sure adequate thread engagement on the end of each tube. I try for one standard nut thickness of engaged thread for steel, more for aluminum.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-21-2015 at 08:23 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the lower control arm spacer? Where do you source it? Function? Would it help solve my tramlining problem? My 818S has very unsteady steering.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the lower control arm spacer? Where do you source it? Function? Would it help solve my tramlining problem? My 818S has very unsteady steering.
    I think your talking about the spacer that gives you more caster.
    The spacer only works with aluminum LCA's.
    Here is a picture.

JD-FCM01.jpg

I don't know if the spacer has anything to do with you tramlining problem.
    My 818 has VERY responsive steering. I haven't noticed any tramlining.
    Are you driving on country roads with wheel ruts?
    Does the problem occur on flat highways?

I was driving down a road with construction and with a 2" difference in black top between lanes.
    When changing lanes the step up jerked my hands.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    what size front tires are you running? Wide sticky tires will follow the road more than narrow tires.
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running Dunlop Direzza 215 40 17". Problem is evident on all but the smoothest paved roads. Any small change in the road crown or dip etc. requires some correction in steering. Very frustrating and does not inspire confidence. I cannot imagine driving at 120 mph on the strait at Lime Rock Park.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running Dunlop Direzza 215 40 17". Problem is evident on all but the smoothest paved roads. Any small change in the road crown or dip etc. requires some correction in steering. Very frustrating and does not inspire confidence. I cannot imagine driving at 120 mph on the strait at Lime Rock Park.
    Just checking, but what is your toe angle on the front wheels? And has it been aligned or just eye-balled? The first time I go-karted I had very twitchy steering as well but that went away after I aligned the front toe.

Post Thanks / Like
    The DIY front settings currently are: 3.3 deg. + caster, 1.7 deg. - camber, 5/32" total toe in. Rear are similar (less caster and camber), a little more toe.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you measure your alignment? Do you have toe plates? Toe is really really touchy, so if you are off even a little bit it can create the issues you are describing. Are you 100% positive the toe is IN and not OUT? Have you considered bringing the car to a professional alignment shop?
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Page 101 in latest manual. The bottom of this drawing is the front of the car.
    SAFETY After alignment, make sure adequate thread engagement on the end of each tube.
    AAAH... what is this latest manual of which you speak. My 818C kit was delivered on October the 17th and this page is not in my manual that I can find. Do I need to order the manual on CD rom to get the latest version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    AAAH... what is this latest manual of which you speak. My 818C kit was delivered on October the 17th and this page is not in my manual that I can find. Do I need to order the manual on CD rom to get the latest version?
    The latest manual I know of is 1o (number one and a small letter o)
    Call ffr and tell them you have a car and would like a link to the latest PDF manual.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, 1o is an update, not the entire manual... the latest full manual that I have is 1i from 7-26-14
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Car was prof. aligned when in go-cart stage. When complete and on the road is when I noticed the tramlining. I have since added caster and re-checked toe etc. Should be pretty close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob and Dan thank you much for the help. I have manual version 1m from November 2014. I will see the FFR people next weekend in Panama City and they can set me straight on how to stay current on the updates. I learn a lot from these forums. Thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Bob, 1o is an update, not the entire manual... the latest full manual that I have is 1i from 7-26-14
    Dan, I've got the full manual pdf of 1O (released on March 2015).

tmoretta, have you tried backing off on the toe (from 5/32 to 1/4 or 0)? My tramlining issue was caused by having too much toe in, I think i set mine to about 1/8 to fix it. Also, what do you mean by DIY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Car was prof. aligned when in go-cart stage. When complete and on the road is when I noticed the tramlining. I have since added caster and re-checked toe etc. Should be pretty close.
    If you want, we could drive out to where you live this weekend and check toe on your car (you're in eastern CT, right?). We have toe plates and have adjusted toe on our 818 frequently for different setups for racing. We'd be happy to help out, if you want.
    Tamra
    First autocross 3/29/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I have accomplished most recent alignment myself (DIY). Very generous offer Tamra. Any time Sun. would be great. I will PM you.