BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe version of the r?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coupe version of the r?

Any plans for one with a roof? Timeline?
    Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    In the original coupe thread this was discussed, and the consensus at the time was that there is not enough room for a roll cage with the coupe roof.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does that mean no R version with a top ever, or just that the current top does't fit the R model.

I thought they might still do a coupe version of the R but it would be a different style of roof?

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything is possible, but FFR has made no mention of such plans. At the moment, you're best bet is to modify the roll bar yourself to work with the coupe roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    keep in mind the take rate on the R in general is a lot lower than the S (4 to 1 maybe? I know Dave mentioned it a while back). Add to that the fact that getting in and out of the R if it had a hard top means you have to wiggle through the window, and the take rate would likely drop even more (R hardtop vs S hardtop). With this in mind, the economics are going to be hard to justify and I suspect you will be waiting a long while for a factory developed R-specific hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the information and advice. Will have to mull this over some more.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    After having driven the Daytona coupe I can't imagine having a R version of the 818 and trying to get out of the car in under 45 seconds (if at all) for safety reasons or change of driver, seems like you would have to be pretty small and agile for this to work.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And I am not small....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    keep in mind the take rate on the R in general is a lot lower than the S (4 to 1 maybe? I know Dave mentioned it a while back). Add to that the fact that getting in and out of the R if it had a hard top means you have to wiggle through the window, and the take rate would likely drop even more (R hardtop vs S hardtop). With this in mind, the economics are going to be hard to justify and I suspect you will be waiting a long while for a factory developed R-specific hardtop.

There doesn't seem to be a problem racing GTM's , I don't see how a frame for the 818cr couldn't be developed. I seem to recall that Dave mentioned it being a long term goal? It's not beyond possibility that I'm wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a problem racing GTM's , I don't see how a frame for the 818cr couldn't be developed. I seem to recall that Dave mentioned it being a long term goal? It's not beyond possibility that I'm wrong though.
    The GTM comes from the factory with functioning doors. People choose to add door bars as appropriate. Much different than Factory Five having to both add tooling for a special hard top and having to add tooling for a special 818R coupe frame. Again, not saying it can't be done, just saying I don't see the return on investment being there for FFR when they are already selling all the 818's they can make.

Also, the GTM is quite a bit larger than the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at fitting a cage in the hard top. Had to see it for myself so I took a trip too FFR to see it in person and concluded that the window is not big enough. If you have a head restraint seat and a han's device it would be tough to get out of the window, even if you cut the top of the doors down to the top horizontal bar on the cage. I ordered an R kit.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just had to comment on this. If someone is serious about a coupe racing version, it would be worth the effort to create an escape hatch similar to the funny car dragsters in NHRA. I think the modification of the halo would be pretty straight forward for the existing roof but ingress and egress would be a completely different story. I have never seen those guys getting in the funny cars but I know they always pop out of the hatch especially after winning a race. So this method would probably meet safety requirements. Plus it would be pretty cool to enter and exit through the top. Maybe you should ask Jim about that. I think FFR likes innovative solutions.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Just had to comment on this. If someone is serious about a coupe racing version, it would be worth the effort to create an escape hatch similar to the funny car dragsters in NHRA. I think the modification of the halo would be pretty straight forward for the existing roof but ingress and egress would be a completely different story. I have never seen those guys getting in the funny cars but I know they always pop out of the hatch especially after winning a race. So this method would probably meet safety requirements. Plus it would be pretty cool to enter and exit through the top. Maybe you should ask Jim about that. I think FFR likes innovative solutions.

WEK.
    Here you go

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/shak...lladega-050413

Does anybody know if there is steel in the coupe's roof? Does it offer more roll over protection than the 818S?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Here you go

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/shak...lladega-050413

Does anybody know if there is steel in the coupe's roof? Does it offer more roll over protection than the 818S?
    Bob

No steel in the roof
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Well- what if they utilized functioning doors (like in the road-issue 818C) and then sloping side-impact bars? Would that not work?

I'm sure you could use a minimalist or partial-width dash, to improve leg clearance too.

OR - what about a central seating position, like in the McLaren F1 ?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I already have a center drive single seat 818C planned out. Extend the the pedal box forward, center pinion rack and pinion steering, build a cage under the hardtop (do not install inner top liner). have opening doors with door bars that extend into the door skins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I already have a center drive single seat 818C planned out. Extend the the pedal box forward, center pinion rack and pinion steering, build a cage under the hardtop (do not install inner top liner). have opening doors with door bars that extend into the door skins.
    Sounds like a fun build, but I would need the fuel cell on the passanger side like on my R. This time bigger than my 17 gallon cell. It's a VERY thirsty car.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    That does sound like a fun build. Are you thinking of starting with the street chassis, removing the main hoop and then building the cage? The center drive would be the way to go.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, start with an S and build a center drive. I talked with Jim about that 6 months ago

Post Thanks / Like
    Any word on whether FFR is considering offering something like this Wayne ?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know they are not doing a center drive 818, and I do not know if they are planning an 818RC or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw some pictures here on the forum somewhere of another builder who did a center drive. I think it would be interesting, even for a street car. McLaren F1 like. I wonder if there is room to do the flanked passenger seats? Would also be a great application for a-pillar hinged or gull wing doors, with the doors including a chunk of the wide sills. Would make entry and exit easier if sill was lifted up with door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    I saw some pictures here on the forum somewhere of another builder who did a center drive. I think it would be interesting, even for a street car. McLaren F1 like. I wonder if there is room to do the flanked passenger seats? Would also be a great application for a-pillar hinged or gull wing doors, with the doors including a chunk of the wide sills. Would make entry and exit easier if sill was lifted up with door.
    This one?
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-on-Track-Pics

It doesn't look like there would be any room for passenger seats unless you got really creative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post

WEK.
    Drag racing safety rules are completely different than road racing safety rules. With a roof you need a high front cage, so the current low front R cage would not be legal, even if the C roof would fit over it. A high front cage requires a triangulating or x brace in the plane of the roof, so no way to fit an escape hatch.