Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Race Report - Palmer Motorsports Park Sept 25-27, 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Race Report - Palmer Motorsports Park Sept 25-27, 2015

Won both days!

Palmer Motorsports Park, set in the Whiskey Hills of Massachusetts is only 2 hours from Nashua, NH. The track is all turns and crazy elevation change, suiting the great handling characteristics of FFR#48.

Thursday night Bill McMahon (Pat's dad, Pat would arrive Fri AM) arrived to the track first, followed by me with #48 in the RV, Jim bringing the 818R for more testing, and Chris Allen in his SpecE30. Everyone was eager for Friday’s test day at the brand new facility.

Friday morning was set to be a busy day, I was to drive FFR818R in HPDE4 run group (the 3rd test this year), and FFR#48 in the Race run group. Before cars were to go on track NASA-NE organized a track drive in pickup trucks to familiarize everyone with the new track, so we all hopped in my pickup, driving the track slowly learning the many turns. The first real session out was HPDE4 in the FFR818R, which recently had its ECU fixed after a coil wire short fried it at the previous NHMS test. Jim changed the intercooler location since NHMS and we were looking for a good test like previous had at NHMS. This was not meant to be, the ECU had issues above 4000RPM. I brought it in and Jim went to work trying to diagnose what he could.

Palmer is epic, has a ton of elevation change, the track cuts in on itself, and is all turns. Since the new engine installation in my car (2 weeks prior I took out the old pushrod Ford 302 and replaced it with a Coyote 302 from a junkyard 2013 F150 that had 19K miles on it.) power steering was cutting in and out, and could not figure out why, it was the same power steering pump that FFR ran in their coyote powered street car and they never had these issues. Battling through the lack of consistent power steering I was still able to learn the track putting down reasonable laps in the later sessions. Friday night we changed the power steering pump with one Jim had at FFR as a spare hoping to resolve the issues.

Saturday AM came around with the first session on track being practice. The power steering issue was still not resolved so I came in early as my small steering wheel was inadequate, and borrowed Bill McMahon's bigger steering wheel which luckily fit my steering hub splines. Qualifying we decided to remove the power steering belt disabling it completely, and with Bill’s bigger steering wheel I only did 2 laps and came right in with tired hands. After getting scaled at 2601lb (my minimum weight is 2600lb) I ended up 2nd in ST2 and 4th overall! Not bad for the first time out with the new engine.

For the race we hooked the power steering back up, 30min was un-drivable without some assist even if it was inconsistent. I had a great start blowing past the 2 BMWs in front of me and was in the lead overall by turn 1. Adrian in his ST2 Corvette was hot on my tail and we started what was a great battle, side by side through most of the track for a couple of laps. His Corvette suddenly went into limp mode due to the tire pressure monitoring system fault, Adrian forced to hit the pits removing himself from the intense battle for the ST2 lead. After Adrian’s departure I took it easy and brought home the win overall, and first in ST2.

Saturday PM had another track walk where we got an in-depth look at the corners and elevation changes of Palmer, followed by the awards ceremony and NASA-NE barbeque dinner.

Sunday morning I changed out the power steering rack during the practice session. Qualifying Adrian was in front of me and both of us setting some fast laps with me the victor qualifying P1 in ST2 and 3rd overall. Chris was not as lucky, during his qualifying run he put 2 right wheels off and found a giant bolder which hit underneath his car hard puncturing his gas tank. I saw him gushing fuel and followed him into the pits, helping him push his car away from the RV, jacking it up, and putting a catch can to catch all of the spilling gas. Chris had to retire, loaded the car up on the open trailer and left for home.

The race start was similar to Saturday but this time it took a little while for Adrian and I to clear the front runners, with me shadowing Adrian’s every move. We were both pushing real hard and started to catch traffic from the back of the field slicing through it. Adrian unfortunately lost the rear of his Corvette spinning in front of me, with a couple of laps left in the race could not catch back up giving me P1 overall again! What a great weekend! 2 wins! New racetrack that is only 2 hours from home! Excellent!

The last event this year will be at NJMP October 16-18 where Pat McMahon will hopefully be there with his fixed engine setting the stage for more great on-track battles.

Pictures: http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gall...ept-25-27-2015

Incar videos:

***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great report, John!! Congratulations on the awesome weekend! Truly enjoyed the videos, and will look forward to your final event of the season!!

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Enjoyed the videos ... and it was nice to see how that track should be run! That truck motor sure runs good! Did you ever figure out the power steering issue?

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, I believe the feed hose going from the power steering pump reservoir to the power steering unit itself is collapsing. I used a normal heater hose thinking nothing of it, but when I talked to KRC about it they said that hose sees up to 28psi of suction and will collapse a normal hose easy, so.. Im buying the same stuff Jim used on the coyote IRS car with the same power steering and that should fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like some oil pressure loss in the turns, what pan are you running ?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Pan is a Canton road race kitcar rear sump pan. I bought the big Accusump and will be installing it this weekend. Also I will change from 5w20 synthetic to 0w40 or 0w50 to get my hot oil pressures up from 50psi to 70-80psi where they should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to seeing the results.

BTW, are you following the ST1/2/3 conversations about rule change requests?
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Looks like a fun track. Thanks for the vids.
    FFR Spec Racer