Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aftermarket A/C that fits the 818 very nicely.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Aftermarket A/C that fits the 818 very nicely.

I am building an 818SE for a customer. He wants A/C. I ordered the Vintage Air Gen 2 Mini unit. It fits very nice IMO. Since my build is going to be all electric I ordered separate parts from Summit. I thought I would pass along how well it fits. I have to fab up some brackets but the unit fits perfect under the dash and has 4.5 inches above it for running all the duct hoses. It is an all electric unit 12V so not vacuum or cables, Yea! Here is a few pics with it just resting on a couple of boxes.

IMG_0097.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0099.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the same one I got, I just don't want it down in the footwell, so I was going to reweld the dash supports to let it sit up in the dash a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this information. If you could please post again post installation so we can see how it looks with the duct work all put in. I love the idea of air conditioning in the 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome! If I may ask, how much does it weigh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    Awesome! If I may ask, how much does it weigh?
    Not sure. It is relatively light. Weight should not be a big issue if you are adding A/C to the kit. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how the Vintage Air Mini unit fits under the dash. This photo is from about the passenger's belly button. It doesn't impede the foot space and is barely visible unless you look for it. The mini unit fits under the dash frame, as pictured above, and there is enough space above it for the 2.5" air ducts to the dash outlets, plus a glove box (11Wx6Dx4H). I've installed an angled foot rest - black with 4 rivets - that will get carpeted.

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Here's how the Vintage Air Mini unit fits under the dash. This photo is from about the passenger's belly button. It doesn't impede the foot space and is barely visible unless you look for it. The mini unit fits under the dash frame, as pictured above, and there is enough space above it for the 2.5" air ducts to the dash outlets, plus a glove box (11Wx6Dx4H). I've installed an angled foot rest - black with 4 rivets - that will get carpeted.

Looks good! Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1, and that tease photo of the center console is looking good too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post

Wow, awesome interior. When can we see it?