Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear bumper vents - ideas needed

Post Thanks / Like

Rear bumper vents - ideas needed

I installed the exhaust initially following the "stock" method - the weird little pipe, followed by the stock downpipe, followed by the exhaust tip out the rear/side of the back bumper.

Now that I have driven the car around 1,200 miles, and have the soft top installed (which makes long drives way more comfortable than they have any business being in this car), I'm thinking I will go with something like the exhaust from AJW with the "quietest" muffler/cat combination reasonably possible. Obviously it will still keep the boxer rumble, but I'd like to be able to take long drives on the highway and listen to music without going deaf.

The problem this creates is that I have a hole in my bumper already and am probably going to go another year plus before I paint. Any thoughts/ideas for a vent I can put in the hole I've already created (happy to cut it to make it bigger)? I would do one on each side, of course, but haven't had much luck finding something that would look decent.

Here is some rough inspiration. http://mishadesigns.com/wp-content/u...ha-Designs.png

I have the diffuser installed as well, so aggressive looking is all the better. I think it would be fairly functional as well, either venting engine bay heat in general, or I could duct it from the rear wheel well.
    Last edited by billjr212; 10-07-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    as luck would have it, Jim from FFR also just posted this comment in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    Cutting additional vents on either side of the low vent seems to make the most sense for someone needing to get additional air out of the engine bay.
    Happy coincidence on timing.

Post Thanks / Like
    If someone made rear bumper vents like that I would definitely be interested. Some slightly wider side vents that match would be great as well but even current size with VRaptors side louvers would match if he still has these available. I'm waiting for the hardtop still before I do more body work.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are a few of the rear views that inspire me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    even current size with VRaptors side louvers would match if he still has these available.
    He does, I received mines.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the side scoop louvers are still available:

http://vraptorspeedworks.com/custom-roadster-parts/

I don't have any photos of them on my website as I have been waiting for some installed pics from someone who already purchased them.....so if you bought them from me and installed them and can send me some "beauty" pics, I would appreciate it! ;-)

As far as venting for the rear, I do have these available. I do not have them listed on my website yet, but they are available if you'd like to order....priced at $89 each.

The top one is designed to mount/bond to the back side of the body, between the tail lights. The solid perimeter would not be visible from outside the car. You would cut out the entire flat part of the recess on the body, and bend the perimeter flange over to bond to the back side of the body.....so only the oval openings would show. This is set up for a single 3" exhaust to exit with the opening being 4.25" to act as an exhaust trim ring.....giving clearance for the exhaust to move with the engine without crashing into the trim ring. If you wanted the panel with no exhaust exist.....just the oval vents......or maybe an 818 logo in place of the exhaust opening, that could also be arranged.

The lower panel gives a place to mount a license plate and would mount to the exterior of the body....so the perimeter would be visible on that part. Again....if this was for a track-only car....or you were going to put your license plate elsewhere, I could make this part all vented and get rid of the license plate mount.....or replace the license plate mount area with a logo....or whatever. I don't want to create 50 different designs for these panels and only sell one of each.....as that is not exactly profitable for me.....but I would not be opposed to 2 or 3 different designs that would be most popular with the masses.....

As for creating some other vents for the outer "bumper" area of the body.....I don't have a body here to play with, but if anyone would be willing to splash that area for me and send the fiberglass mould to me, I'd be happy to play around with it and see what I could come up with. I have several ideas rattling around in my head for that....but without a physical shape here to work with and take measurements from...there's not much I can do.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post Shane. To be clear, you can see in this photo where the factory exhaust exits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks billjr212. Yeah.....obviously the guys who want vents in that location are going to have to do something else with their exhaust.....or I need to come up with a vented panel that would fit that location and incorporate an area for the exhaust to exit. Or both...... ;-)
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    In your pic. it looks like the convertible top covers the engine cover inlets. True?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    In your pic. it looks like the convertible top covers the engine cover inlets. True?
    No. The engine cover inlets are completely outside of the soft top. The bottom edge of the soft top follows the base of the humps. You can just barely see the shadow of the right inlet in the picture above. Picture is a bit grainy/washed out from the lighting in the garage at night.

Here is a photo from FFR's page for the soft top where you can see the inlets clearly:
    http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server15...0.1280.jpg?c=2
    Last edited by billjr212; 10-09-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Thanks billjr212. Yeah.....obviously the guys who want vents in that location are going to have to do something else with their exhaust.....or I need to come up with a vented panel that would fit that location and incorporate an area for the exhaust to exit. Or both...... ;-)
    I am actually going quad tip exhaust utilizing both sides. Incorporating the vent there would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    reviving another of my long dead posts. here is a random thought in MS paint (yes, my skills in Paint peaked at the age of 11). Thoughts? Feasibility for one of the vendors?

Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda like that. How wide do you think? Completely open (just trim rings?) or with a pattern (hex?)?

Hex pattern I used before:
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    here is what I did, although I will tell you the right side tips are fake just to complete the look

013.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is how I did my solution, from my build thread:

Also installed some anti parachute vents, Chad Plaven style. Upside down from his, though. I like them either way and this is how they ended up.