Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil pan on R

Post Thanks / Like

Oil pan on R

So, I originally planned to use a Killer B setup on my 818R for track use. But it sits so much lower that I don't think it's a good idea (~2" off of the ground at race height). So I was considering an STi pan and a Killer B pickup. Is there a better solution out there for less money than a dry sump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not exactly "out there" that I know of...but here's a thought: There seem to be enough guys here interested in such a thing that you might start talking to Canton or the like to do a custom pan. If 10 or more guys are interested it might peak their interest.

Best,
    -j
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer7 View Post
    So, I originally planned to use a Killer B setup on my 818R for track use. But it sits so much lower that I don't think it's a good idea (~2" off of the ground at race height). So I was considering an STi pan and a Killer B pickup. Is there a better solution out there for less money than a dry sump?
    Frank
    Read my post. And the responses near it.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post207951

I had to decide between a bigger pan (2.0L 6qt) or the 5qt STI pan (funnel shape). ( I have both). I choose the 2.0L pan for the higher capacity.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-13-2015 at 07:48 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    And I went with the STI pan and I'll run it with extra oil as well. I think that both could work as Bob indicated. A slight mod with an added baffle or two in the stock 2.0 pan might be even better. I have a 69 Saab Sonett that had a 4 door trapdoor box around the oil pickup in the pan. (Like we need in the stock FFR fuel tank)

If I was building and R I'd go the accusump route too with a couple extra qts of oil available.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    And I went with the STI pan and I'll run it with extra oil as well. I think that both could work as Bob indicated. A slight mod with an added baffle or two in the stock 2.0 pan might be even better. I have a 69 Saab Sonett that had a 4 door trapdoor box around the oil pickup in the pan. (Like we need in the stock FFR fuel tank)

If I was building and R I'd go the accusump route too with a couple extra qts of oil available.
    Hi Dan, 6qt of oil will overflow the STI pan sitting on a bench.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha. Bob- how do I tell if I have a 2.0 pan? My block and heads are different and (09 STi and 2002 WRX) so I don't know if the oil pan matches one of them.

Baffling my current pan (whatever it is) is definitely an option for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha. Bob- how do I tell if I have a 2.0 pan? My block and heads are different and (09 STi and 2002 WRX) so I don't know if the oil pan matches one of them.

Baffling my current pan (whatever it is) is definitely an option for me.

Top Left: Killer B Motorsport Oil Pan

Top Right: OEM 2002-2005 EJ20 WRX Oil Pan Subaru number 11109AA053

Bottom Right: OEM 06+ EJ25 Impreza WRX/STi (STi, Legacy GT & Forester XT) Subaru number 11109AA151

Bottom Left: OEM 04-05 EJ25 Impreza STi (Legacy GT & Forester XT) Subaru number 11109AA131
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    So it looks like the top left is what I have, and it's not that great. Bottom right and bottom left would be better. I think you came to the same conclusion.

Thanks Bob!

Post Thanks / Like
    So it looks like the top left is what I have, and it's not that great. Bottom right and bottom left would be better. I think you came to the same conclusion.

Thanks Bob!
    I am using the pan at the top of the picture for higher capacity.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd, our killer b pan only sits 1" below the frame. We are protecting the pan with at drop down, heavy alum. skid plate, and putting a "bullet shaped" drop down (CF/Kevlar over foam) in front of it. THe plan is to move the bullet forward and backword to measure any changes in downforce using the undertray to speed up/slow down the air in the right places. Lemonade from lemons.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind many headers won't work with the old style pan, headers need the STI type cutout.

As far as baffles, I have a couple of used Cosworth baffles I bought from the Subaru Rally Team (Vermont Sports Car) that I'll be happy to part with. PM me if interested.

Cosworth Oil Control Baffle 20002499.jpg
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hi Dan, 6qt of oil will overflow the STI pan sitting on a bench.
    Bob
    I'm running 5 1/2 qts in my sti pan. The instant you start pumping oil the level isn't going to over fill the pan. I think that the wide engine has an inherent issue with a long horizontal route for the oil to return to the pan and high G loads hold it away from the sump. So a sump that is less likely to allow slinging the oil away from the pickup would be very helpful. Secondly adding an accusump could provide a level of security.

Road racing would be worst case, for autox extra oil in an STI pan should suffice.

Your photo of the killer B pan doesn't look like it is 2 inches deeper...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    This is when I was building my car with a Killer B pan (before we knew how low it sits below frame). Mine was well over 1" below the real frame (not engine area frame)

The killer B headers were well below also.... (POS for the price BTW)

Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told the STI pan resists oil starvation under lateral load better than the old WRX pan. You can always overfill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the picture, Chad. It's clear to me that the Killer B pan is just too deep. Also, I am thinking I'll just skip upgrading headers and get twin scroll headers with a twin scroll turbo in one fell swoop.

I never thought oil pan height would be such an issue lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0437.JPG

I still don't get it, here is a pic of the bottom of our car with the KB oil pan and Perrin EL header, both are only 1" below the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Retro- huh. Yours looks higher up than Chad's, though it's hard to tell through the photos. Maybe there's two versions of the KB pan? Only other thing I can think is that different engine mounts could change the height of everything down there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    IMG_0437.JPG

I still don't get it, here is a pic of the bottom of our car with the KB oil pan and Perrin EL header, both are only 1" below the frame.
    Yours does look higher up, maybe the motor mounts? I have new Group N mounts.

Regardless, I would not want anything below the frame without a ton of protection. I have a few bolt heads (yes, bolt heads) that have taken a few good whacks under the center of the car. That was just jumping curbing without any high speed "Off's".
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    We are skid plating it, and yes, the mounts do seem a bit higher now that you mention it....

Curb jumping....which side of the curb was your wheel on, the green or black side?