Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: California DMV Registration Process

Post Thanks / Like

California DMV Registration Process

I about ready to order a roadster but I want to understand the California DMV requirements. The folks at Factory Five said I should look at SB-100. Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on SB-100 at the DMV site.
    I looked at the page "Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles". I says that I need to complete "Application for Title or Registration". That form appears to be for any vehicle not just for specially constructed vehicles. Besides that form, what do I need to take to the DMV to get one of the 500 smog exemptions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You will need the receipt from FFR and the MSO (Manufacturer's statment of origin) and bring receipts for the engine and transmission, if they have been purchased. BTW the acronym for Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles is SPCN. That might get you further in the research process. The DMV makes you basically do 3 things once the car is built:

• Have a VIN assigned to the Chassis at a CHP office. My CHP officer knew about FFR and we used the chassis ID as the VIN.
    • Do a Brake and light inspection at a state-authorized shop. They certify the car as being "safe".
    • Get signed off for having a closed PCV valve system to comply with 1965 regs (you MUST specify to the DMV you are registering using the BODY TYPE you are replicating) at a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) station.

Registration in CA is pretty easy compared to other states, but there are still a few hoops as described above. I've gone through the process twice now and DMV offices are getting better at knowing what to do but sometimes you have to actually lead the clerk through the process - ask me how I know

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Start here: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA and read the California file.

And here is the CA-DMV rules for registering a SPCNS-vehicle: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/dmv...13&submit.y=12

It's actually quite easy since the "panic" over the SB-100 numbers has dissipated.

Any questions, both David and I have been through the process more than once.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    It's my understanding that 500 Certificates for SB-100 are issued yearly for CA.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceflo View Post
    It's my understanding that 500 Certificates for SB-100 are issued yearly for CA.
    Yes, that's correct. But, they haven't been running through them as fast as they used to.

Ray

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys.
    Those answers just eliminated another excuse not to pull the trigger.
    My current plan is to use a 94 mustang as a donor. It has a ford racing 5.0 and a 2.73 rear end. I figure a Ford Racing T5 trans.
    Other options I am thinking about are powder coated chassis, body cutouts, vintage GPS gage set, wind wings, sun visor, heater and wiper (just got back from a cruise to Oregon and the duce roadster guys all wanted wipers & heaters), chrome roll bars (pass & driver), Grommets, and chassis wire harness.
    Any recommendations on what I should add or leave off?
    Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Those answers just eliminated another excuse not to pull the trigger.
    My current plan is to use a 94 mustang as a donor. It has a ford racing 5.0 and a 2.73 rear end. I figure a Ford Racing T5 trans.
    Other options I am thinking about are powder coated chassis, body cutouts, vintage GPS gage set, wind wings, sun visor, heater and wiper (just got back from a cruise to Oregon and the duce roadster guys all wanted wipers & heaters), chrome roll bars (pass & driver), Grommets, and chassis wire harness.
    Any recommendations on what I should add or leave off?
    Thanks again.
    You will most likely want to change the 2:73's to 3:55's or something close. I had 3:08's and changed them out within a few months. Also, I went with seat heaters rather then a standard heater system. That, along with a 12-volt heated blanket keeps my passengers (usually my wife) warm. The rest of your options look pretty good.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Heated Seats .... yeah ..... that makes me warm and fuzzy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    You will most likely want to change the 2:73's to 3:55's or something close.

Ray
    Yep, this. I've got a 3.27 diff with a 5.0 SVO crate motor and could really use the 3.55-- first gear is pretty tall and so is the OD 5th, to the point I can't really use it below about 60, although it might be partly due to EFI tuning, since it won't pull below 1900rpm without rubberbanding. I guess that's the next project on the list.

Anyway, yeah, the SB100 thing is much easier now. I went from one DMV office to the next to find one where the staff was familiar with the procedure. In 2006, it was a necessity, since all 500 waivers were taken by noon on 2 January. Now, it'll just make things move smoothly if you find an experienced office.
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks good advice.
    Does Factory Five have a seat heaters?
    I live in Mission Viejo, does anyone know an experienced DMV office in Orange County?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks good advice.
    I live in Mission Viejo, does anyone know an experienced DMV office in Orange County?
    The office in San Clemente was THE place to go before their remodel. When I visited them earlier this year they didn't have it as together but they are probably better now. We were able to get what we needed but the agent needed some guidance from both me and the manager. The only REAL downside was their refusal to give out a TOP with more than a DAY on it! Hopefully their attitude has changed in that area as well. My brother lives in Sherman Oaks and I advised him to go to the Newhall DMV for the TOP. Another builder got on for 60 or 90 days there.

If you want to see a build up close let me know. I've got one that is finishing up in Costa Mesa and the best part is I have a lift so I can show you lots of details about the build from under the car.

Regarding your donor, I know there are some "issues" related to donor builds for 94-95. I can't remember what they are off hand but it's worth more research. I'd also personally get the Ron Fransis wiring harness from FFR. It lays out really easy and doesn't require the kinf of "diet" that a stock harness does. I'd also get the Wilwood pedal box too but that's just me.

Welcome to the Forum BTW! Any and all questions are encouraged!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission/bellhousing are one-offs for 94 and 95. Can't be mixed with parts for different years as the input shaft length is different.

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need any help with the process I have been through it 6 times over the years. Ray and David have the process well covered.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to everyone.
    I will be getting a new transmission. The 94 mustang was an automatic & I want a five speed. The Ford racing crate engine I put in it required lots of changes to fit the 94 Mustang but fortunately I kept all the original parts.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks good advice.
    Quick search found this: http://www.rostra.com/comfortheat-au...-by-rostra.php

Cobra Earl used to carry them, and he may have some left, but he is getting out of the business due to health concerns.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray.
    I found several sources on the net. I'll wait till I get the kit than once I have the seats I can find a good source.
    David, I would love to see your build. PM me when you are available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I did it. Today I ordered my roadster. Almost immediately I got a call from FFR telling me that they were having a promotion and asked what size Halibrand replica wheels I wanted. Without the wheels the kit was $1,500 less than I expected and the wheels will be great.
    That was a great way to start a project. My completion date is Dec. 5. I will start a build post when the kit arrives.
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Gene. I'm quite excited for you, as it should be a great winter project. Cant wait to see the build pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was helpful as I'm doing my research for a Roadster order in the spring. At this point "I don't know- what I don't know!". Haha... I recently visited FF and went for a ride with Dave. I'm sold, its just the details of what do I want and how hard is registration. Reg seems pretty straight forward. I live right by Cooks Corner in Portolla hills and it seems a few of you are close.

JasonSC

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonSC View Post
    This was helpful as I'm doing my research for a Roadster order in the spring. At this point "I don't know- what I don't know!". Haha... I recently visited FF and went for a ride with Dave. I'm sold, its just the details of what do I want and how hard is registration. Reg seems pretty straight forward. I live right by Cooks Corner in Portolla hills and it seems a few of you are close.

JasonSC
    If you have any questions, ask 'em. Several of us have been through the DMV process more than once. I actually helped one builder get his fees paid before he took delivery on the kit. All he had was the MSO and his receipts.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone confirm if there is an order with which to do the process? My dmv lady made it sound like b&l, then smog, then chp. Don't really want to go back to anyone... Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    If the DMV makes you do the B&L it can be done first. The CHP MUST be done before the smog as they will require the VIN applied by the CHP to enter your appointment into their computer. Welcome to the forum...
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before you head to DMV get a hold of me. There are a few things that are great to know that will save you some time and money.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Just started my process on Thursday. It was after Veterans day, and it took about 30min in line and about 15 min to get to the window. I went to San Clemente with no appointment and although I usually have Guy do it, Veronica helped me and it was her first time. This was good as I was able to walk her through most of it and dictate it a bit.

One thing that has changed recently is that they don't give you a 30/60/90 TOP right out of the gate. Now, they give you a one day pass to get your Brake and Lamp and then you have to return to get your TOP. I also have to wait in line again just to turn it in. LAME. First appointment isn't until Dec 9th so I'll be waiting in line.

On Saturday, I got the B&L at Action Auto off of Via Fabricante along with the alignment for $209. Well worth it. Jim (the owner) and Rusty (the mechanic) are cool and don't hassle you about backup lights if the model year didn't have one. Rusty should be nicknamed Grumpy though. He's clearly not happy! LOL. I was done in two hours on Saturday.

I also made my appointment with Dave White in Santa Ana. I will not go through San Juan CHP. The new guy there prides himself on making sure every car has wipers, bumpers, etc and Dave just knows the deal. He's a SEMA attender and motorhead himself. My appointment with him is this Friday. I hope nothing has changed there!.

e
    Last edited by ehansen007; 11-16-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Officer White is now aware of the FFR frame assignment and will give you the frame number for your vin. Just make sure you mention it's a FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome !I run the 3.27 gears in my car with a moded EFI 5.0.I really like that I can run the freeway at 70 and only turn about 2100 rpms . I can run 55 to 60 and only turn about 1500 rpms .If you car bucks at that rpm you can tune that out. It makes for a quiter cruise and the gas milage is great.The performance is pretty good. Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,
    I have a DMV appointment on January 4 in Laguna Hills to start the process. I made that appointment back in September when I first started thinking about doing this project. Based on what everyone has told me, I've decided to keep that appointment rather than switch to San Clemente.
    As for the rear end, I will take the advice to switch to 3.55 gears. I got a quote from Currie to do the install. About 100 years ago I used to work at a factory that made tractor transmissions and adjusting the shims to get proper tooth engagement was a real pain. It's probably easier with these cars but for $145 I'll let currie do it.
    I have pulled the rear end out yesterday and pulled the axles. I am now cleaning everything up and will paint it before I take it to Currie.
    I finished the body buck based on an excellent Bill Haas article.
    I am now ready to start building the chassis dolly. Does any know the dimensions and a materials list?

Post Thanks / Like
    Never mind about the chassis dolly info. Pstockha has a build thread and I asked him about his chassis dolly. He provided all the info I needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got the CHP thing done. Dave White (officer) said that they are no longer using riveted VIN plates! They are just going off of what is stamped on the frame which is awesome. No more unsightly stamped VIN on the frame. He said he didn't know why they ever did that. People were taking the VIN off of one car and riveting it to another. Makes sense if you're a thief or totally illegal etc. But he did say he wanted me to rivet my own FFR plate to the frame ASAP. Then, He gave me the speech about bumpers and wipers and then passed me and sent me on my way. Cool guy. I've basically been driving all over with my one day pass for B&L, Now I need to make a closed system with PVC valve for my 8 stack injection system. Sounds like I'll have to fudge something to my vacuum input which is being used by the MAF sensor. I may just run a T off that vacuum to two closed breathers from the valve covers with a PVC on each side. I think as long as the valve covers to not vent into the atmosphere I'll be goood?

I just spoke with the Smog Ref scheduler and they said I need a sequence number to schedule it and it's not in their system. I was supposed to get a letter in the mail with that number but haven't yet. Since I have not been back to the DMV I'm hoping they were not waiting for my B&L to start that process. I have an appointment on the 9th to follow up with them.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 12-01-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I went to the DMV to start the registration process.
    There are two documents that I used as a guide in addition to the advice I got in the forum.
    They were;

The registration requirements are outlined in “Registration Requirements for Home Made Specially Constructed or Kit Vehicles”.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

The additional document “Specially Constructed Vehicles Emission Control” which explains the SPCNS Certificate of Sequence.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...n/dmv/vr/spcns

I took with me a completed “APPLICATION FOR TITLE OR REGISTRATION”(Downloaded from the DMV web site), the “Certificate of Origin” from Factory Five, a “STATEMENT OF CONSTRUCTION” (Downloaded from the DMV web site), and my invoice from Factory Five.

I was expecting to pay DMV fees, but I didn’t realize that I would have to pay taxes of the final estimated cost of the vehicle. I should have realized that the tax on the purchase price would be due, but I didn’t expect to pay tax on my own labor estimate. I did have to pay and they wouldn’t take a credit card. I had to pay regular fees plus nearly $2000 in use tax with my debit card to get a SPCNS Sequence number.

After a wait of about a half hour I did receive my sequence number. I was told that I should contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) with my sequence number to find out the next steps to take.

I will do that soon and provide the follow up information.

Post Thanks / Like
    "but I didn’t expect to pay tax on my own labor estimate"

They made you provide a labor estimate for your build time and charged you tax on that? Really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info and links to the registration process.