Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump Bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump Bad?

My car was running pretty well and then I had to remove the wiring harness for some fixes. At some point the fuel pump stopped working. I assumed I had crossed some wires. (2002 wrx donor)

After messing with it for a while I decided to try sending power to the fuel pump just to see if it worked and trace the problem backwards. I connected power to the positive pin and grounded the other. It did not kick on. I assume this means my fuel pump went bad or got shorted out as I messed with my wiring. Can anyone confirm that it should kick on when I deliver power to one side and ground the other? Seems obvious but the wife is getting frustrated with the overruns.

Secondly, if I have to replace the fuel pump, does anyone have a recommended upgrade to deliver more fuel. When the car was running it seemed like it was occasionally starved for fuel. Even if I don't need the upgrade now it would be nice to have it in place if I rebuild and add hp to the engine down the road.

Thanks for the help.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should run if connected to ground and power, yes.

The Walbro 255 is a very common upgrade/replacement pump. They work well, are easy to get (Amazon, etc), and are inexpensive. Generally, they are very reliable as well. They are a bit loud though. I have one (can verify it's a bit loud).
    Last edited by Hindsight; 10-25-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a deutsche werks 65c pump that I've only used for a few hours. I had this pump in the 'stock' tank that FFR includes. I've recently upgraded to the Boyd Tank, which comes with an aeromotive 340 pump. The DW 65c pump has literally only been used to put around the neighborhood. It sells for $150, shoot me an offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you connect the ground at? The wiring plug or the pump itself? Could always be corrosion. Also check your relay and the fuse, if there is one. You may have accidentally touched two wires and blew a relay or fuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    I have a deutsche werks 65c pump that I've only used for a few hours. I had this pump in the 'stock' tank that FFR includes. I've recently upgraded to the Boyd Tank, which comes with an aeromotive 340 pump. The DW 65c pump has literally only been used to put around the neighborhood. It sells for $150, shoot me an offer.
    Be carful with the aeromotive 340 pumps. At least in the Mr2 community they were known to be pretty bad. One big tuning shop for Mr2s is very open about the issues you can see in there for sale ad here. http://atsracing.net/Parts/Details/F-AEROMOTIVE-FP

We even have a failure after 500 miles in this thread here. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...85-Fuel-System
    Last edited by redfogo; 12-30-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    Be carful with the aeromotive 340 pumps. At least in the Mr2 community they were known to be pretty bad. One big tuning shop for Mr2s is very open about the issues you can see in there for sale ad here. http://atsracing.net/Parts/Details/F-AEROMOTIVE-FP

We even have a failure after 500 miles in this thread here. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...85-Fuel-System
    That was my pump that failed in 500 miles. I switched to the Walbro 450 and we reached 530 WHP and 570 WTQ, so 40 more WHP and 20 more WTQ over the aeromotive. I wouldn't recommend that pump to anyone.