Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First 818 COUPE build

Post Thanks / Like
    Some pictures from Lance

IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0668.JPG

Lance is adding a roll bar around the windshield frame. With 2 bars going down the middle of the car.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-22-2016 at 02:34 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have built the first 818 with a halo cage. Great to see further 818 development documented. (note to Chad P.... would you have felt safe in this for wheel to wheel racing?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 129st View Post
    I think you have built the first 818 with a halo cage. Great to see further 818 development documented. (note to Chad P.... would you have felt safe in this for wheel to wheel racing?)
    Yes, I've looked around a little and am surprised that nobody racing has built such a modification. My reason for doing this is strictly for my own safety. I'm not long to race the car buy I just can't get used to having only the fiberglass a pillars as protection from a frontal impact. We have a crazy amount of deer in Ohio and I really don't want one in my lap. That plus rollover protection, then add in that the car will be one of the smallest on the road and there you have it.
    The roll bar wouldn't pass muster with any race sanctioning body anyway, since its constructed from dom tubing and mandrel bent elbows, sectioned and welded. Just trying to increase my comfort level.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a few more pictures to post from Lance.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0678Naked framework. Raising the bar. .JPG
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of pictures from Lance.

Radiator express. Fits '08 thru "12 Kawasaki 250, 350, 450, 500 water cooled bikes. I'm using one for my awic and the other one for an oil cooler. That's my plan anyway.

IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

Lance
    Are you going to circulate coolant through one of these radiators and then through the factory heat exchanger at the base of the oil filter?
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-21-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    A couple of pictures from Lance.

Radiator express. Fits '08 thru "12 Kawasaki 250, 350, 450, 500 water cooled bikes. I'm using one for my awic and the other one for an oil cooler. That's my plan anyway.

IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

Lance
    Are you going to circulate coolant through one of these radiators and then through the factory heat exchanger at the base of the oil filter?
    Bob
    Yes. That's the plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Lance's oil pan modifications.

I'll post the pictures and let Lance add the comments.
    IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting.... I get the point of the extension but wonder how risky that will be given that the pan is going to be sitting a fair amount lower than the frame, unless the engine is raised.....
    Last edited by Hindsight; 04-08-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A swivel pickup! Nice! He woudl probably want a skid plate for sure.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's a lot of hot coolant in the passenger floor. I guess you are going to build some sort of foot plate to cover and insulate?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty self explanatory. I used a stock pan, cut just below the bottom baffle, taking into consideration the angle of the engine, the resulting cut being parallel with the bottom of the car, or just slightly low towards the rear. I then constructed the pickup from 4130 chromalloy steel, braced with 1/8 X 1 hot rolled steel. Bushings were made from 932 bronze, pickup swivel and tube were constructed from 6061 aluminum. Pan mods were made with 16 gage crs, tig welded. I designed this to fit within the boundaries beneath the 818.
    You will notice a pendulum weight, located just above the pickup tube. This is to make the movement more responsive. The pendulum weight is indirectly connected to the pickup tube to reduce weight of actual pickup, thus extending bushing life. The pendulum weight swings between the two baffles within the oil pan. The baffles were notched in order to be able to assemble pan onto engine with pickup tube mounted and to allow all elements to swing freely. Form follows function. The bottom of the pan is on plane with the bottom of the car. I plan to raise the engine slightly to allow for a skid plate beneath the oil pan. Possibly as much as 1/2 inch.
    There are other elements to my lubrication system, such as a discreet heat exchanger and oil cooler, with a sandwich plate and remote filter mount. I hope this gives some of you an idea or two. I certainly wasn't willing to shell out the big $ for a dry sump system. I think this may be an acceptable solution for most of the 818 crowd.

Post Thanks / Like
    That pan design is awesome! Great work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Lance, do you have your seats installed yet? Before I commit to a similar halo roll bar setup, I kinda want to test sit yours to see how it feels.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I must say Lance your oil pan and pick up is very clever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Mitch. I hope it works as anticipated. I have lots of mods to my car, so I'm going to have some fun fettling things out.

Post Thanks / Like

818 with corvette suspension

Lance's did a he!! of a job putting corvette suspension in his 818C.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    nice! That is one strange looking lower rear arm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance's did a he!! of a job putting corvette suspension in his 818C.

Just curious if there was specific reason(s) to use Corvette suspension? Better geometry? More wheel options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Just curious if there was specific reason(s) to use Corvette suspension? Better geometry? More wheel options?
    I second those questions.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Better geometry, of course. Both front and rear were used for wheel compatibility, parts ordering, strength, and light weight.
    The front suspension of the Subaru was designed for MacPherson struts, adapted to ball joint pivot, which is a huge compromise right out of the box. Also, the UCA sent by FFR is so short that it causes huge camber and toe changes throughout its travel, thus the bump steer. I did not incorporate the anti-dive tho, because of the light weight of the forward section of the car. Not necessary. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand theory-wise. But in practical terms, what does it mean? How will you feel the difference?

That you'll lap 1sec faster?
    That it'll be smoother, more stable and quicker to respond on the street? (assume bump steer has been taken care of on the FFR suspension so there is no bump steer as well as none with your Vette's susp)
    Did we all buy a bad car?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I understand theory-wise. But in practical terms, what does it mean? How will you feel the difference?

That you'll lap 1sec faster?
    That it'll be smoother, more stable and quicker to respond on the street? (assume bump steer has been taken care of on the FFR suspension so there is no bump steer as well as none with your Vette's susp)
    Did we all buy a bad car?
    Frank, I think the best answer to your questions are. The same reason you went to the VW engine. "YOU WANTED TO."

Post Thanks / Like
    We all bought an inexpensive car, not necessarily a bad car. If it serves your needs or desires, then mission accomplished. I personally wanted a bit more out of this car, so I opted for this route. My buddy made a suggestion that I do this, and it took me a while to study the feasibility and warm to the idea, but I'm glad I did it. It was lots of work, lots of head scratching, lots of calculating, and a fair amount of cad work to figure it out. 12 weeks on front setup, 8 weeks on rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    and it took me a while to study the feasibility and warm to the idea, but I'm glad I did it. It was lots of work, lots of head scratching, lots of calculating, and a fair amount of cad work to figure it out. 12 weeks on front setup, 8 weeks on rear.
    That is SO easy to understand.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Some pictures from Lance

IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0668.JPG

Lance is adding a roll bar around the windshield frame. With 2 bars going down the middle of the car.
    Do you have drawn plans for the windscreen frame and middle bars? Is it FIA or the US equivalent race approved? I really like the added safety it provides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, just did it for my protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anxious to see how the cage works with the roof on. I've been thinking about doing something like this in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was over at Lance's shop today getting some machine work done.
    I needed some machine work done at 3pm Sunday afternoon. By 4:30 it was done. Thanks Lance, I owe you one.
    I took a few pictures while I was there.
    Bob
    l1.jpg l2.jpg l3.jpg l4.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-23-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance is a master fabricator, I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth out there. Been watching the posts and I would like to commend everyone who undertakes a task like this, and especially those who finish. I hit it hard on my build for about 16 months, then I hit a wall. I took the better part of 2017 off to just relax but now I'm back and going at it.
    Some things I really like about the 818 are these: it doesn't try to be something it's not. I like that it is mid engine. I like rear wheel drive std shift cars. I like my hard top. I like the idea of having loads of fun and still get decent mpg. I like that it's made in the US. I like the general body shape. I like the performance levels achievable.
    Now, the things I think FFR should fix are: Add 1"to the overall wheel base in front of the front bulkhead, 2" in the cabin length. Angle roll bar rearwards, giving more seat reclinability. Raise motor mounts to correct oiling issues. Offer solid shifter linkage from shifter to trans. Fix the fuel tank problems. Supply 3 fluid reservoirs for the wilwood pedal assy. Offer bumpers for those building in states that require them.
    So, what do you all think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to see you back at it. I really like following your build. Your points on overall wheelbase and cabin length are good ones, even with moving back the rear firewall by using the Boyd tank it is still a pretty tight fit, and I'm barely 6' tall. I feel for those over 6'. Three fluid reservoirs for the Wilwood pedals you'd think would be a no brainier, I bought a tilton reservoir from summit. As far as bumpers, not sure what each state would require. That seems more like something an outside vendor could come up with.

I am very happy with the midengine layout, if FFR didn't come up with the 818 I'd probably be building a Porsche 914 or something pre '75 to get around Calif 's smog laws.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some quick thoughts in addition to yours:

-Raise the roll bar height by 2 inches.

-Properly triangulate said roll hoop back into the car, rather than having it sitting on top of a box tube.

-Add some sort of protection in front of the motor to prevent it from ending up in the fuel tank and passenger's spine in case of a rear impact.

-Add adjustability for 4.5-6" of ground clearance for S/C models.

-Make the hood/front fenders/nose a one piece clamshell like the Daytona Coupe.

-Move the steering rack to the proper location to minimize bump-steer on S/C models.

-Make all the fasteners metric.

-Shorten the front overhang by 3-4 inches.

P.S. The careful observer will notice that none of these would have cost any additional funds or time had they been done correctly the first time, with the exception of an additional 2" box tube in front of the motor.
    Last edited by phil1734; 01-18-2018 at 07:00 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123