Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR trunk kit

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FFR trunk kit

Just wanted to give FFR a pat on the back. I installed their trunk kit on the Chippyhawkeye build I am doing for my customer Chip. Installed very easy and really tightened up the rear of the car. Not only is it a nice addition but well worth adding to any 818 IMO. I wish it was available when I built mine a while back. And yes the soft top fits in it, barely, LOL.

IMG_0240.JPGIMG_0241.JPGIMG_0242.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Just wanted to give FFR a pat on the back. I installed their trunk kit on the Chippyhawkeye build I am doing for my customer Chip. Installed very easy and really tightened up the rear of the car. Not only is it a nice addition but well worth adding to any 818 IMO. I wish it was available when I built mine a while back. And yes the soft top fits in it, barely, LOL.

IMG_0240.JPGIMG_0241.JPGIMG_0242.JPG
    I saw this in January and really liked it. My only wondering is how HOT the stuff in the trunk would get as the engine bay seems to be a real smokin hot area of this car?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Since the build I am doing is an electric car that won't be a problem. IMO if you vent the rear properly and add reflective shielding on the trunk you would be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Since the build I am doing is an electric car that won't be a problem. IMO if you vent the rear properly and add reflective shielding on the trunk you would be OK.

Well that solves that problem! Yea some heat shielding would sure help.

Nice to have some functionl space.

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey team, I've significantly reduced heat in and around entire engine. Ive wrapped entire extractors, turbo blanket and then wrapped all exhaust to exit of rear bumper. Finally Ive now added shroud around intercooler (air/air) and cut whole in rear lid to vent.
    I cannot believe the reduction in temperature - I'm keen to now collect a trunk kit and add to my 818, previously I thought bay was way too hot!
    On a side note... I have air temp sensors before and after intercooler - Post intercooler is now 5 degrees celsius cooler than ambient temp - way better than the heat sink I had prior....

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know if the trunk kit will work with the hard top upgrade? I have preordered the top and I don't see how there is a hinged opening to the trunk so I'll wait until I install the top, then decide.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Anyone know if the trunk kit will work with the hard top upgrade? I have preordered the top and I don't see how there is a hinged opening to the trunk so I'll wait until I install the top, then decide.
    I've wondered this myself but from the pics I've seen posted it doesn't seem to work. The hatch that opens barely gives you access to the engine to refil oil if need be :/

I'm still getting the hard top myself but I never planned on having a trunk. If I do I might make something small work in the front rather than the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junty View Post
    I have air temp sensors before and after intercooler - Post intercooler is now 5 degrees celsius cooler than ambient temp
    How is that possible?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    How is that possible?
    LMFAO... unless IC temp started lower than ambient... IE pull the car out of a cold garage
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking more that the sensors weren't calibrated the same/tolerance or the ambient sensor was measuring high due to something else. It could get close to ambient, but shouldn't get lower unless it's compressed, cooled, then uncompressed.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Opps -my bad... I was reversing into garage - so ambient sensor was high (drawing exhaust gases). I went for short drive today - with water spray onto intercooler I now have even temps (equal to actual) ambient. Ranges +/- 1 degree C depending upon speed and side wind etc...
    Overall very happy however - Air to Air intercooler is definitely working well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Must be due to the Coriolis effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you show in your build thread your AAIC setup?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope FFR comes up with a way in future revisions to have a trunk in the Coupe. What if you wanted to take some fold up chairs with you to a car show?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Allwine View Post
    I hope FFR comes up with a way in future revisions to have a trunk in the Coupe. What if you wanted to take some fold up chairs with you to a car show?
    I was wondering the same, any chances it would fit the Coupe?...

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine this would ever work as the rear cover does not open. A bigger problem for me (why I don't want the coupe) is the very limited access that the opening rear window affords to the engine compartment. My track experience has taught me that you always want complete and easy access to the powerplant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junty View Post
    Opps -my bad... I was reversing into garage - so ambient sensor was high (drawing exhaust gases). I went for short drive today - with water spray onto intercooler I now have even temps (equal to actual) ambient. Ranges +/- 1 degree C depending upon speed and side wind etc...
    Overall very happy however - Air to Air intercooler is definitely working well.
    Because of all the bad air flow experiences I have read about I am wanting to measure my in/out intercooler temps. Can you share with us what you used? Sensors? Installation location? and how did you handle the air flow into your intercooler? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone please comment on the relationship/fit of the FFR Trunk and transmission (area)? How far above the trans does it fit? Pic's from "inside"?
    'Thinking about exhaust system designs.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    Can someone please comment on the relationship/fit of the FFR Trunk and transmission (area)? How far above the trans does it fit? Pic's from "inside"?
    'Thinking about exhaust system designs.
    Thanks!
    IMO no room for a top center mount exhaust. Lower passenger side would work best, IMO. It would best to cover the side facing the exhaust with some sort of reflective heat material.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one for sale. If anyone wants. I bought it then started to install but changed exhaust ideas and can't use it with my wing mount too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may take you up on the sale offer if I can figure out how to use it...
    I'm using an N/A H6 engine and thinking dual exhaust at the moment, maybe a with cross-over pipe (under the trunk?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the trunk hits on the bottom portion of mechies rear awic mount. So if you do your cross pipe before this area your golden. Right at the bottom 2" where it mounts to the trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Well the trunk hits on the bottom portion of mechies rear awic mount. So if you do your cross pipe before this area your golden. Right at the bottom 2" where it mounts to the trans.
    But you CAN install the trunk with Mechie's AWIC mount in place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with vraptor wing mount/ trans protector kit. So my plans have changed. When I was trying to install it it wouldn't fit but I didn't trim the trunk kit down yet at that point. I just installed rivnuts and bolted it together.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the trunk factory five designed however I don't know why they didn't utilize the "pockets" of potential cargo space on either side of the transmission. They may be small but I think we need as much space as we can get!

Post Thanks / Like

I left room for a FRUNK

I have room in the back for a trunk. But because of my personality, I just had to be different. I left room in the front for a large storage box. I will take it out at the track for better airflow through the radiator.
    You can't see it in this picture, but I do have a fan between the awic exchanger and the engine radiator.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 06-30-2016 at 11:16 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob what radiator is that from. I like it and might copy it. Just create a new hard and box in a "trunk" at least I can have some tools or throw a bag up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob what radiator is that from. I like it and might copy it. Just create a new hard and box in a "trunk" at least I can have some tools or throw a bag up front.
    this was off topic, so I responded on my thread.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post242447
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 07-01-2016 at 12:47 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    07FIREBLADE. Do you still have the trunk for sale? Where are you located and what is the price with shipping? I am in Mass.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have the trunk insert for sale. Im in socal so shipping is going to cost a lot. But I want $150 plus shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I still have the trunk insert for sale. Im in socal so shipping is going to cost a lot. But I want $150 plus shipping.
    I haven't seen the trunk kit, but do you think it would fit with Craig's AWIC, turbo heatshield and allow adequate clearance with my side exhaust:

IMG_20150110_213907.jpg

If so, I'll take it, if you don't mind holding on to it until the next time I get up to OC/LA.

(I should have checked the forum earlier; my wife and I drove up to Newport Beach this weekend)

Post Thanks / Like
    i would be interested if you would ship to pa 18704

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a trunk kit, along with my 818 C, not knowing that it would be almost useless. I'd be willing to part with it if anyone with an S is interested in it. I'm in Ontario, Canada.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mines for sale. I would prefer local due to shipping reasons. It's almost impossible to ship economically. awkward sizing and all. So it's all yours lee if you want it. Just message me. I have the same exhaust setup and awic setup. It clears I just have a C now and I'm making a wing mount so I have no use for it.