Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 17x8.25 front with STI LCA caster arms?

Post Thanks / Like

17x8.25 front with STI LCA caster arms?

I am looking at ordering wheels for my 818c I'm not sure if they have made any changed yet with the small front tire sizing or not. I am looking at the following

17x8.25 35mm front & rear

or

17x7 35mm front & 17x8.25 35mm rear

or

run the top two front possibilities with a 18x8.75 33mm in the rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redfogo View Post
    I am looking at ordering wheels for my 818c I'm not sure if they have made any changed yet with the small front tire sizing or not. I am looking at the following
    17x8.25 35mm front & rear
    or
    17x7 35mm front & 17x8.25 35mm rear
    or
    run the top two front possibilities with a 18x8.75 33mm in the rear
    I ran my stock Impreza wheels first. 6.5"x16"x53mm with Toyo 225/45R16.
    Then I measured all my clearances before selecting wheel and tires.
    I suggest you do the same before spending $$$ on wheels and tires.

I select bigger tires than recommended as I also made other suspension modification to make them fit.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I ran my stock Impreza wheels first. 6.5"x16"x53mm with Toyo 225/45R16.
    Then I measured all my clearances before selecting wheel and tires.
    I suggest you do the same before spending $$$ on wheels and tires.

I select bigger tires than recommended as I also made other suspension modification to make them fit.
    Bob
    I am not using a donor so not to much to base things off of. I may just need to stick with recommended sizes then. Also with all the holidays sales soon to come up I figure now was the best time to grab the wheels and get tires closer to completion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, did you detail your changes on here?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Bob, did you detail your changes on here?
    Craig,
    I don't think I shared all my changes and settings on here. They were so far outside the box, I want to be sure they all worked well.
    An overview of changes from recommendations were:

Front track width
    Front roll center
    front static camber setting
    Front wheel offset
    front rim and tire size
    front camber gain
    front shock length
    front shock bump stop
    different upper ball joint
    different upper "a" arm tube
    added one steering rack spacer

Rear roll center
    rear wheel offset
    rear rim and tire size
    rear camber gain
    rear static camber setting
    rear shock length
    rear shock bump stop
    rear upper lateral link tube
    Rear spring rating
    moved body to match wheel center.

I need to get more experienced drivers to take my car out on a track and give me feedback.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-04-2015 at 11:29 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll be fine with either of the 17" options. Our wheels for the street are Enkei PFO1 17x8, et 45, and clear just fine. We have the aluminum STI arms in the front.

We have 215's up front (touch at full lock but no major rubbing) and 255's in the back. The back will rub slightly on the lower arm from tire deflection under hard cornering, just enough to scuff the paint, so wouldn't want to go any closer back there.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    Went with 17x7 up front and 18x8.75 rear. I figured I may like 17x7 up front more for autox.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious the handling difference between the 17x7 and 17x8.25 wheels up front? I am going to run the 18x8.75 on the back. I like the looks of the bigger wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    I am curious the handling difference between the 17x7 and 17x8.25 wheels up front? I am going to run the 18x8.75 on the back. I like the looks of the bigger wheels
    I can't talk about the 818 yet as mine isn't done yet, but having gone from a "narrow tire up front/wider back" to a wider tire all around on my old mr2 I found that it under steered a lot more. I much rather be tail happy versus having an under steer problem. That's part of why I went with this set up. A lot of lotus guys are also using narrow front wide back and seem to like it a bit more. To each there own though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Red, Pushing the limits in autox, a loose tail will ruin a run, where a slightly pushy front end will just put you a few feet from where you intended to be.

To add to what Tamra said, it's the 215/40/17 up front. Not much room there!

We went to 15" fronts to fit more tire width up front for autox. 245s fit on 15x8"s of the right offset without any custom work as long as they clear your brakes.
    Last edited by xxguitarist; 01-21-2016 at 09:56 AM.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
    Red, Pushing the limits in autox, a loose tail will ruin a run, where a slightly pushy front end will just put you a few feet from where you intended to be.

To add to what Tamra said, it's the 215/40/17 up front. Not much room there!

We went to 15" fronts to fit more tire width up front for autox. 245s fit on 15x8"s of the right offset without any custom work as long as they clear your brakes.
    Just don't loose it and your fine haha. For me I find it easier to drive an autox course with more oversteer then understeer. But I have owned an mr2 since I was 15 so the snap oversteer just feels natural. My plan is to adjust as needed though with the 818. I can only speak from what I have encountered I am by no means an expert driver just my opinion! Xxguitarist I'm sure has far better knowledge on this subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify... typically if you put more tire up front, the car will push less (more grip due to more tire). Less tire up front and the car will push more.

That is assuming you haven't gone so large in the front so as to not be able to get enough heat in them (which would require really big so likely not what happened). Or, if you are doing large burnouts which cause your rears to heat up significantly faster and start gripping sooner than the fronts. In that instance the front will push regardless of front tire size just due to unequal heat in the tires. The hotter tires (unless they are too hot) will grip better and cause the other end to let loose.

I'm guessing when you went to wider tires all around that you weren't heating up the fronts as quickly as the rears which resulted in them not gripping as well, followed by understeering more. It's all a balance based on the car and the driving style.

The width of the wheels will determine how supported the tires are. Slightly stretched set up (tire slightly narrower than the wheel) will result in a really fast turn in, but you probably aren't getting as much ultimate grip due to simply running less tire. Pinched set up (tire wider than the wheel) will have more squirm and less sharp responses, but more ultimate grip from having more tire on the ground.

For me I'd rather drive a car that's balanced and doesn't have any significant oversteer or understeer characteristics... a car that just "works" But if I had to pick one, I know from experience that understeer bias is less punishing, resulting in more consistent, faster times.
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!