Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any interest in an 06 wrx with 89k miles?

Post Thanks / Like

Any interest in an 06 wrx with 89k miles?

Hey there. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in an 06 wrx. It has right at 90k miles on it. It was totaled out by insurance, but I bought it back because this car deserves so much more than just going to the scrap yard.

Before I get too deep with it, I want to say that the subframe is straight, all suspension, steering, and driveline parts are straight and fully functional. The engine is 100% sound, although shouldn't be ran unless coolant is added and it only runs for a minute. Fatty was alot of weight on the hood, he cracked the plastic reservoir bottle. Car was all stock until probably less than 1,000 miles ago, when I installed a larger fuel pump, a downpipe, larger intercooler, and slightly larger turbo, which was all custom tuned by a shop in Denver CO. I can get a video of the engine running, and drive the car forward and backwards quickly to try and show that everything is still working properly. The car is paid off and the title is in the mail to me now. I have no idea what it will say as far as being salvage, parts only, or what.

Now, on to the reason why it is totaled. An elk stepped out in front of me on the interstate a couple weeks ago. I had no reaction time, so I hit him at 75mph. He basically flattened my hood, broke the windshield, pushed the roof back and tried to come in the car but the A pillars held on for dear life so that the momentum ended up forcing him up and over. Whew. I'll warn you, if anyone does end up buying this car, your jaw will hit the ground when you see it. Yes, I (the driver) suffered pretty minor injuries, and yes, the car still drives straight as an arrow and the motor is sound. After the hit, I safely drove the car to the side of the road and shut it off. Even the doors still open and close.

I'm going to find a list of everything needed for the 818, and when I go to the car tomorrow, I will check off everything on the list that is useable, damaged, etc. As of right now, I am keeping all of the 'limited' parts, which are the seats and door panels, carpet, floor mats, outside mirrors, windshield wipers (if not destroyed), and foglights. I am also keeping the battery, headunit, shifter and shift knob, spoiler, wheels and tires (I will put donuts or something on so that they are all the same size and do not cause any drivetrain wear), and possibly other things which can be discussed. I will keep the blouch turbo that's on it, but I will include the stock turbo with the car, which was running just fine. I will also return the ecu to stock.

I am purchasing an 06 STi to replace this car. I could include the STi interior, mirrors, wipers, turbo, wing, headunit, shifter and shift knob, etc. if needed. This is something we can discuss and figure a price around. Price will be fair, not because the car isn't worth the money, but because I really want to see it go to someone that will transplant the heart and soul into a new car. After saving my life, this car deserves it. I would LOVE to do it myself, but I don't have a garage to do it in, plus I really can't justify spending $10,000 for a RWD. I live in South Dakota and rwd is worthless at least half of the year.

I will update with pictures and info tomorrow once I check it over in the daylight. Don't freak out, its a gruesome sight for sure. But 95% of the damage is body. Honestly, when I looked it over tonight, the only mechanical damage I could see what the coolant reservoir. Intercooler looked fine, intake duct was unharmed, radiator looked ok but questionable. I can see if it leaks, but I can't really check it under pressure, so that will have to be a mystery unless it ends up leaking without being pressurized. But I will go over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow.

I included the pics of it when they towed it away. They put the front bumper in the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm close (Custer) and interested in building an 818C but timing is bad for me as I'm consumed with building a house at the present time.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    glad you survived. did you get to keep the elk?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adubbelde - I would be willing to keep it around, but I would have to figure out cheaper storage. How serious are you about building one?

Longislandwrx - I didn't, the elk died moments after impact, and he had to have massive internal bleeding and shattered bones. Game and fish tried, but the meat wasn't salvageable. They did give me the antlers tho, I think as a peace offering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man if I had to room I would love to grab this... . Post a price might help people want to jump on it I know if it was to good I might just do it anyways and solve the storage room later lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Man glad you survived I know that South Dakota / Wyoming is a nasty are for animals stepping out on you from experience ie motorcycle accident 4 years ago in Wyoming while coming back from Sturgis rally.

But on a serious note this is tempting for the right price just moved in to a new house.
    Last edited by Louisromersh; 11-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OP-Don't scrap it! Someone is bound to pick this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the thought but it'll be a while before I can get into a build. Once I finish this house I have a 37 Chev Pickup that's waiting for me to finish it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I would like it to be gone by the end of the month if possible, I can't pay $75 a month to keep it around. Plus one the snow comes, where it is it will not get out. But I know me, and I won't scrap it. I didn't really specify a price because there are so many variables. Whether or not the purchaser wants the STi interior included or the stock WRX turbo vs the vf43 on the STi. Also, I'll keep any additional parts I can that are not needed as donor parts, that can lower price as well. To put a number out there, I'd say depending on what goes with it, probably a price somewhere between $1,500 - $2,500, $2,500 being the absolute most. I'm not going to be making any money off it, I really just want it to get used, and it would mean a lot if whoever does buy it sends progress and completion pictures.

I've been super busy the last couple days, but I have the donor part list printed out and I'm going to head there in an hour or two. Is anyone wanting a video of it starting and running? Moving? Is there anything specific that anyone wants a picture of? I'll try and get plenty of pictures. Hopefully I can get back on here to update this thread later on today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Khartley View Post
    Well I would like it to be gone by the end of the month if possible, I can't pay $75 a month to keep it around. Plus one the snow comes, where it is it will not get out. But I know me, and I won't scrap it. I didn't really specify a price because there are so many variables. Whether or not the purchaser wants the STi interior included or the stock WRX turbo vs the vf43 on the STi. Also, I'll keep any additional parts I can that are not needed as donor parts, that can lower price as well. To put a number out there, I'd say depending on what goes with it, probably a price somewhere between $1,500 - $2,500, $2,500 being the absolute most. I'm not going to be making any money off it, I really just want it to get used, and it would mean a lot if whoever does buy it sends progress and completion pictures.

I've been super busy the last couple days, but I have the donor part list printed out and I'm going to head there in an hour or two. Is anyone wanting a video of it starting and running? Moving? Is there anything specific that anyone wants a picture of? I'll try and get plenty of pictures. Hopefully I can get back on here to update this thread later on today.
    Damn dude...if I only had a place to keep it. That's a good price

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I would like to see some more pictures of the front, back, left side, right side, & all the corners. Also I would like to see some interior photos.

A video of the car running would be great just so I know I could get it on a trailer.

Also could you be more specific on were the car is located so I could put shipping cost/quotes together.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'll try to get a video of it running tomorrow afternoon. I would have today, but someone killed the battery so I brought it home to charge it. I got a ton of pictures though. I'll try and post up some. The car is located in Deadwood SD.

EDIT***** I just put all the car pictures into a photobucket album. Here is the link:
    http://s25.photobucket.com/user/DSMi...car%20vs%20elk
    Last edited by Khartley; 11-16-2015 at 03:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just added a short video of it running to the photobucket album that is linked in the post above this one. You'll hear some weird noise in the video, but it isn't coming from the car. It was about to start snowing and the wind was getting pretty wicked. I only ran in for 10-15 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the wind was blowing anything like it was here in Custer last night it was pretty vicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Khartley View Post
    To put a number out there, I'd say depending on what goes with it, probably a price somewhere between $1,500 - $2,500, $2,500 being the absolute most.
    I bought my 06 back from insurance for $4k. $2500 is a great price!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the donor parts list sheet I filled out. Anything checked is accounted for and in good usable condition. Anything marked with an "X" is either damaged, questionable, or missing, the notes on the side will clarify (if you can read my terrible handwriting). I did not mark the instrument cluster, but it is there and useable. I did notice when I started it up that the power steering return line is broken, so it is leaking power steering fluid. I put some water in when I ran it and I didn't notice the radiator leaking, but then again I have no way to pressurize it. I should have this thing basically ready to go before the 30th. The sooner the better, the snow is already starting to fly a little, and if it accumulates much it will get really hard to get it out of the storage. I reset the ECU to stock settings.

6b4aa718-26a7-4160-8a45-f3824acbf281.jpgc2347e22-6130-408c-a489-a00803ae1d01.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice 5 x 5 elk! I just love road kill You are very lucky, here in Maine it's moose that you need to watch for, even bigger and taller. We get to keep the animal that we hit, did you?
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Well they decided I needed an ambulance, so they whisked me away before I could inquire about it. So I don't honestly know. Game and fish did try to salvage the meat, but it was not useable (shattered bones, bruising, internal bleedout, etc) But they did bring the antlers to me a week ago. Actually a 5 x 6! Almost 6 x 6, but one point is just under an inch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another possibility, is if someone wanted to buy it but had no room or needed to wait, they could take over storage payment. It's $75/month. Just to throw another option out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Officially bought the STi. Picking it up next week. So all the parts I'm keeping from my wrx have the option of including Sti parts instead. Seats, carpet, shift knob, turbo, etc. Only thing I can't do that with is the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Conflicts in the time, space continuum involving high rates of speed are brutal to living tissue. I've seen very little left without trauma. One doe that we got was basically a leather bag containing mush... That was a Ford F150 incident at speed. Thankfully you were not hurt!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a couple people with concerns of rust, being this is salted road country. The previous owner was the first owner, and kept it in a garage year round. He may have not even driven it in the winter, I'm not sure. I got it last summer and unfortunately couldn't keep it in a garage and I did drive it during the winter, however I washed it often. I searched for rust last night and found none. I checked under where the battery sits, and I pulled the plastic molding that runs on the bottom sides of the car, and also pulled the drivers side fender. The worst rust I could find was in the threads of the bolt hole on the bottom of the fender, but the bolt still came out fine. This is about as close to a rust free car as it gets! I'm even impressed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Salt is used so sparingly here that I can hardly tell where it's used. If you want to see salt go to the Twin Cities. It always amazes me since I moved back to the hills the old vehicles the people are using as daily drivers. Saw a 58 Cameo on the road today. Lots of mid sixties trucks and cars still being driven and relatively rust free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that WRX held up pretty good for that size animal. Glad to here you survived. You probably have a bunch of snow by now but wondered if your car is still available. I'm in California and just received my 818C and was looking to see what was out there. PM me if still available.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure did hold up good, I'm still amazed. I still have it, no one has committed yet. Not much snow so it can still get out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sold.