Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield frame strength

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield frame strength

What is the strength of the FFR supplied windshield frame? It seems very weak and wimpy. I can't imagine there is any steel in it, as it seems to be strictly a cosmetic plastic frame. My concern is that I expect to use my car for some track days. And, I know that N.A.S.A for one, will not allow any convertible on track without a strong windshield frame in concert with a good (sufficiently tall) roll bar. Anyone considering a partial cage/front roll bar to supplement the weak windshield? Can a more substantial frame be added to the inside of the plastic frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't plan to race, but I have wondered this as well. I am surprised how much flex there is in the windshield/frame assembly. Seems like something could be done to stiffen it, no? That said, is the roll bar supposed to support the car opposite the windshield frame or opposite the nose of the car?

-Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    National Auto Sport Assoc. requires that a broomstick placed across from the windshield to the (atleast 4 point) roll bar be above the head of the helmeted driver. I am awaiting an answer from them as to the strength of the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    What is the strength of the FFR supplied windshield frame? It seems very weak and wimpy. I can't imagine there is any steel in it, as it seems to be strictly a cosmetic plastic frame. My concern is that I expect to use my car for some track days. And, I know that N.A.S.A for one, will not allow any convertible on track without a strong windshield frame in concert with a good (sufficiently tall) roll bar. Anyone considering a partial cage/front roll bar to supplement the weak windshield? Can a more substantial frame be added to the inside of the plastic frame?
    Check out this GTM thread, he modified the roll bar and frame. It could be an answer...or not lol

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-car-build-log

Post Thanks / Like
    If someone leans on it the frame slips and the windshield height and angle change, I'm adding roll pins to keep it in place. It isn't stiff enough to be a safety device
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the "S" windshield frame going to hold up at speeds of 130 or 140 on the track?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Is the "S" windshield frame going to hold up at speeds of 130 or 140 on the track?
    I don't think anybody knows the answer to that.

My feeling is that the windshield will be fine at speed.
    My fear is that somebody climbing in or out of the car pulls on it to hard.

Does anybody know how easy it is to open up the fiberglass cover to possibly reinforce the steel frame?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It is stable at 110. Can't speak to 130/140.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    It is stable at 110. Can't speak to 130/140.
    It moves around a little... and it was still attached...
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thx guys.

So Jerome..... What's up?? When does the next project start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx guys.

So Jerome..... What's up?? When does the next project start?
    I consolidated vehicles and got a daily that's comfortable and fun to drive. I bought a 2012 Audi S4 with the S-Tronic (dual clutch) transmission. :-D
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a nice ride.... but no project car plans?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a nice ride.... but no project car plans?
    No, sir.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I predict you'll be back In the meantime, enjoy the Audi. I had an '04 S4 for a short while. Fun but the V8 didn't allow for much tuning like the newer turbo 6 cylinders do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I don't think anybody knows the answer to that.

My feeling is that the windshield will be fine at speed.
    My fear is that somebody climbing in or out of the car pulls on it to hard.

Does anybody know how easy it is to open up the fiberglass cover to possibly reinforce the steel frame?
    Bob
    I've already had a neigbor pull it down and I've only test drove it about 3 miles! That's why I'll pin it in my finalized location.
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, how will the roll pin stabilize it? Are you planning on putting the pin in the back part of the triangle brace on the frame... a few inches above where the bolts attach? It really seems like the windshield mounting point should extend way further down. Two bolts just an inch or so apart does not provide much support at all for such a long lever.

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be added support from the aluminum panel that bolts between the windshield and the frame (under the dash).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, how will the roll pin stabilize it? Are you planning on putting the pin in the back part of the triangle brace on the frame... a few inches above where the bolts attach? It really seems like the windshield mounting point should extend way further down. Two bolts just an inch or so apart does not provide much support at all for such a long lever.
    Exactly

Geometry is our friend, the problem is that we are clamping these two pieces together with two 1/2 in bolts that are in slotted holes. The two pieces are powder coated so there isn't a good frictional contact area. My bolts are at the very end of the slots, when we put say 100 lbs at the top of the windshield we have a very long torque arm and the lower bolt acts as a pivot and the top one slides in the slot. IMO adding a single roll pin on each side can eliminate the rotation. A roll pin will be strictly in shear in this application and the hardened spring steel is well suited to this application. I'll pre-drill a 1/8 hole through both parts and redrill to say 3/16 for the final pin.

Put it up high, Once I get them in it won't take long to determine if we need another.

P1120773.JPG
    Dan

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that makes sense. I may do the same thing. Good tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    My concern is not so much with the frame slipping on the bolt holes, it is that the windshield frame is plastic. A roll over would likely easily break the frame allowing the glass windshield to self destruct and both to collapse onto the steering wheel and column and onto the driver.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The frame is definitely not going to provide any substance in a rollover. You would have to rely on the roll bar alone protecting you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan's suggestion of adding roll pins can also be applied to the door hinges. Not so much for slippage but so you can remove/install the doors in the same position without re-aligning them. I used this on my roadster but forgot about it until now - it's good to have an ME like Dan around.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've mentioned using them in the doors before Pete, it's really the same issue there too, you have slotted holes and a very long door as a torque arm! And yes re-alignment is much easier too
    Dan