FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM 284 back home after long stay at shop

Post Thanks / Like

GTM 284 back home after long stay at shop

i!m trying to get 284 ready to go to body shop after waiting one and a half years for my mendeola transaxel. Then another year to get alingment ,cruse to work, speedometer to work,and air conditioner working. I hope to put the body,doors,hood,and rear hatch on. I will not adjust any thing. I will let the body man do his thing. It has been together one time before the transaxel came. At times I want to just sell it. I will be 75 in January and have trouble with my back. I can work for ten minutes then need to set down. I question if I will ever see it done. The body man works for Downs industries and only works on weekends on projects like mine. He still has one corvette to finish before the GTM. He did a 58 restomod corvette for me and the body and paint were perfect so I will wait.
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Leonard, and I hope that you're able to get things wrapped up soon, so you can enjoy your new car!

I know that I'm one to talk... Can't wait to see it when you're done.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hang in there Leonard. I hope your body guy is able to get to it soon. We all would love to see your masterpiece.

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Leonard I may be the only on to come out and say this but I think you need to find another body man. One experience I have always had with body/paint guys is they always underestimate the completion date by a about half. It takes about 1000 man hours to complete the body of a GTM if nothing had been done to it for someone that has never worked on a GTM body before. Maybe 800 hours for someone that knows a few tricks from prior experience working with GTM bodies. This guy has other cars he has to finish before he even starts on your car then it will take him approx. 1000 hours of work. Not to count how many weekends he may end up not working on the GTM due to family holiday etc. Just think when he does start on your car if he puts in 8 hours a day Saturday and Sunday to add up to 1000 hours he has to work on your car for 62.5 weekends without taking a day off! Say he is really good and can complete it in 800hours that would be 50 weeks!

If you give your GTM to this guy to finish it I don't think you will ever drive it!!! I don't want to sound negative, I just like to see guys complete these cars. Mine took about 3 years due to my own situation and there were many times I almost gave up. I just want to see you in the finished section of this forum in the near future! Best of luck!
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    284 is now at the body shop.

284 is now at the body shop. Hope to have it home with in a year.
    Len

Post Thanks / Like
    Len that's good news! I think it's great you're tackling this GTM. Where a outs are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    I!m located in AuGres Michigan right on saginaw bay.
    Len

Post Thanks / Like
    And what color are you going with?

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to take a look at the Copper head used on the viper. The body man said he would get me a sample to look at when we get to that point.