Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Manual vs. power rack

Post Thanks / Like

Manual vs. power rack

Just looking for some opinions on manual vs power, my project has a power rack but as light as the car should be is it needed? Seems like overkill. It currently has 245s on the front with a '03 cobra knock off wheels but it will most likely end up with the halibrand copy's and DOT stickies😄

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Power, you can alway use a reduction valve.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a street car w/ narrow tires you can probably get away w/ the slow manual rack. But, to make your car drive more like a modern car, go w/ a 3.0 turns power rack. You will be glad you did. There have been maybe two people who went power to manual and 100s who went manual to power.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    that makes good sense, thanks we will proceed acordingly!

Post Thanks / Like
    I always point this out (and likely some are tired of hearing it...) every time the manual vs. power steering discussion comes up: Don't think of it as just about steering effort. That seems to be what most focus on. But power steering also allows you to significantly increase the caster angle of your front spindles, providing better stability and centering while driving down the road. The manual setup drives good, the power setup drives better. I've had both, and won't be going back to manual.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 265-35-18's on the front with Avon auto-cross tires. I've actually bent the steering wheel trying
    to turn the car..... The last time I worked on the car (several years ago), I was in the process of converting
    it to power steering. Unless you like driving a truck, go with a power rack...
    FFR4784CP - The first coupe with a "Falk'n Bubble"
    http://www.replicapromotions.com

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    First build was manual. Second is power.

I'll be switching the 1st to power this winter. It just makes for an easier driving car.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, advice is always the best teacher! i'm not a fan of the pump and bracket but the driveability will certianly outweigh the cosmetic issues!

Post Thanks / Like
    You might consider the Unisteer electric power steering unit. I'm considering it in my build. Kinda pricey though.

I found in another post that Mike Fortes handles it.
    http://www.unisteer.com/electric-pow...-steering.html

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also run fast Freddies electric hydraulic here's a link.

There is quite a few people around here running this setup.

http://www.fastfreddiesfabrications....p?id_product=4

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good looking set up but for that $ I'd rather have an alum. flywheel and a set of sticky tires to take out to Hallet!

Post Thanks / Like
    And don't forget that to fill those coupe wheel wheels you can run 315 front and 335 rears so those 315s really increase the needed effort.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.