BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2006 WRX Gauge Cluster doesn't work completely

Post Thanks / Like

2006 WRX Gauge Cluster doesn't work completely

So I have gotten my engine to start, finished my headlights wiring, taillights, and connected everything except the HVAC system wiring and radio. For some reason my gauge cluster doesn't light or look to function. Blinkers work and display on the cluster, so do the lights and high beam LEDs in the cluster. The car starts and runs fine, I monitor engine temp and RPM from accessport for now. Anyone experience this?

Is there anything in the HVAC wiring or radio that I don't have connected that might cause this? I also do not have the speed sensor connected yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    The HVAC and radio wiring should not impact the cluster. Was the cluster working before in the wrx?

Did you keep your integrated module? It provides illumination power for the cluster. The first thing I would trouble shoot is the wiring to the cluster and make sure it is getting power, but it sounds like it is indeed getting power. Double check all the power pins on the connectors

Does your RPM dial work on the cluster? If you're able to see RPMs on the AP and not cluster, it's most likely a bad cluster or there's a break in the wiring from the ECU to the cluster

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it did work prior to wrx disassembly. Should the needles sweep when I turn key to acc? I will make sure I have everything for the integrated unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read of this when the dimmer for the cluster is removed. But I believe there is a work around to grounding one of the pins I think to make it full bright all the time. Something to look into. The needles do NOT sweep in a 06 WRX cluster but STI clusters do

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar problem with a '03 cluster. The Integrated Module was removed, and as STiPWRD suggests that affects the dimmer function.

There was a ground connection in my case that needed to be re-established after the IM is removed to enable the cluster to light up when the interior illumination is active; but I didn't write it on my wiring documents -so I'm not 100% sure this is correct:

I grounded what had been pin B14 coming out of the IM box (wiring diagram WI-94). I grounded it after connector B136 (one of the big multi-block connectors from the donor). If I remember correctly it was an orange-white stripe wire coming from the combination meter (gauges) at pin A9; it splits to the hazard switch & continues to a big cross-chassis connector (from the donor) B136. After that connector I believe it continued to the IM, and that is where I grounded it.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits