FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intercooler heat exchanger

Post Thanks / Like

Intercooler heat exchanger

Hi guys , looks like the heat exchanger most everybody is using is the 27x12x1 exchanger.
    Looking at the down flow configuration/ or up flow... It seems the coolant flow would naturally take the path of least resistance. This heat exchanger has both inlet and outlet on the same side.
    Look at theses two pictures. Who on the forum has experience in the thermal dynamics profession?
    My theory is the coolant will go in and take the quickest path to the out let thereby not flowing through the complete area.
    Whereas the second picture the coolant would be more likely to use the complete exchanger by flowing diagonally through the radiator. I researched the Internet but most mentalities were confusing it as a two pass radiator, ours is not a two pass.
    Do you think the diagonal configuration of the inlet and out let is more efficient?
    Be sure to open the "image.jpg"

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by DMC7492; 11-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The flow is into a header then equally through the smaller channels to the outlet header. the headers help to distribute the flow

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    The part you probably aren't considering is the tiny size of the Tubes that run vertically. The pump creates a high pressure in the top manifold and low in the bottom. If the vertical Tubes were big, yes, only a couple of them would contain most of the flow but due to their restrictive small size, they max out quickly. This causes more even flow across the whole radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Water will go in the top and not make an right angle immediately. Sure, the far channels are likely to be a little less efficient but overall not bad. More importantly, look inside the threaded bungs. Mine were offset slightly from the hole in the tank so I drilled it out.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be too concerned with the efficiency of this heat exchanger given the well documented cooling of intake air temperatures. It appears to have plenty of cooling capacity for most builds.