FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Install

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Install

Since I've decided to upgrade to the new nose pieces my plans for working on mounting the body have come to a halt. Is there a logistical reason not to install the dash prior to installing the body panels?

The manual is vague in general and I trust builders who have done it more than the book.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have your windshield frame in the proper location then you can install the dash. I used industrial grade Velcro to hold the frame down near the windshield rather than fasteners. This makes it so the dash can still be easily removed after the windshield is installed. Just unbolt the bolts in the front of the panel then reach your hand up underneath and put it in between the windshield frame and the dash panel to separate the Velcro.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing/did Velcro already. Since we will be redoing the Windsheild I thought it would be best to make my dash remove able. It is also easy access if anything goes wrong which always seems to happen with these types of cars. Only suggestion is to not completely trust the adhesive backing that comes with the Velcro adding a bit of spray adhesive makes the install a bit harder but the Velcro will stay on both panels better. I've had my dash on and off numerous times after about 2x the Velcro would start to peel from the dash a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea on the velcro I'll follow suit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I velcro'd too. Industrial stuff from Amazon. Held up fine on track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you guys putting the dashboard on top of the fiberglass part of the windshield frame or under it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NBinSD View Post
    Are you guys putting the dashboard on top of the fiberglass part of the windshield frame or under it?
    On top.

Also, I would do (and did) the dash last. That way you can line up with the door panels as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    With Velcro you can easily adjust placement near the windshield and left/right for the doors. The brackets limit travel a little, but I see no reason to wait to install the dash last.

I used some Velcro brand industrial stuff and the adhesive is ridiculously strong. I took out my dash half a dozen times with no lifting up on the plastic dash or the gelcoat covered windshield frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the windshield on for over a year and never even test fitted the front body parts (hell the fenders are still bubble wrapped!). The windshield may not be in the right location yet as I don't know what that location is going to be, but I fitted my dash and under dash alu panel already. I too used velcro, except for the under dash I used rivnuts and half-moon strip provided by FFR.

I am fitting the dash in accordance to my cluster, so everything around it will adjust based on that, which is independent from the front body parts.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Fitted the gauge cluster, hazard switch, and iwire control panel to the dash today. Think I'm going to paint it with trim and bumper paint. The finish isn't uniform and has some scratches on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone have photos of their windshield frame and dash installation? I am needing to cut out a section of the lower windshield surround. My Mastercylinder reservoir is completely under and behind this fiberglass surround. I have seen photos of others cutting away this area to provide access but it is never clear how this effects final appearance with the hood in place. What are your thoughts? Regarding the dash, The text of the manual is vague and there are no photos. Is the Forward edge of the dash supposed to rest under the windshield frame or does it but up against the glass or ??

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like