Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Are Front and Rear Sway Bars the exact same piece?

Post Thanks / Like

Are Front and Rear Sway Bars the exact same piece?

I received two of the same swaybar. I sort of assumed they would be different front and rear. Anyone know?

Thanks
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever considered asking the supplier?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have sent an email to FFR, but they are closed for the weekend. (Good for them.) I have always found the wisdom, insight, and helpfulness of the members of this forum to be exceptional. Since these are the same pieces that were prepared for the 20th Anniversary models, I figured that one of the owners of those models might have already encountered the question. I sincerely apologize if the question seemed too obvious.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The front bar and the bar for the new IRS are indeed the same exact part.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jazzman, I didn't mean to sound flippant in my response, but there was too much info omitted from your post. Now you have the answer, straight from the source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Jim, for your confirmation. I can't get any more authoritative answer than that! I knew I could depend upon this forum, but it is nice to know that FFR employees are also watching and adding their wisdom to the mix.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    The front bar and the bar for the new IRS are indeed the same exact part.
    Jim
    What is the inside dimension on that sway bar<> tab to tab
    I'm still looking for a bar for the back of my 33 just in case I need it with my softer springs
    Thanks
    Dale Berry Hemi33

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dale,

The sway bars are 39 inches wide outside to outside, so that would be just over 38 inches to the inside of the tabs.

Another source is a fox body or SN95 mustang rear bar, the way they install would have to be modified, either with swapping lower arms or adding mounts and end links, but the width would be in the right ballpark and there are different diameters from the different models, V6, GT, Cobra, etc. If you did the arm swap and you have a 3 link the bar will have to be heated and bent to fit but it can be done fairly easily.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    Dale,
    The sway bars are 39 inches wide outside to outside, so that would be just over 38 inches to the inside of the tabs.
    Another source is a fox body or SN95 mustang rear bar, the way they install would have to be modified, either with swapping lower arms or adding mounts and end links, but the width would be in the right ballpark and there are different diameters from the different models, V6, GT, Cobra, etc. .
    Jim
    I have a custom 4 link with tabs for a mustang sway bar and I got one that's supposed to be from a V6 but it just doesn't seem to be the right shape somehow.
    Any chance you can lay the the new IRS and an old style fox bar side by side and snap a picture?
    Thanks
    Hemi33