Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wheel recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

wheel recommendation

Hello All,

I am in the market for wheels for an 818c. Is there a very popular wheel people have found that perform really well and are a decent price everyone is going for? The Enkei RPF1 seem to be very popular and fulfill the requirements. They are very light and strong and only weigh 15-18 lbs because they are tilt cast and flow formed and are around 230 each.

FF5 has put out there own wheel? Does anyone know how its made, how it performs, and how much they weight?

Thanks for your help everyone who contributes to the forum you are an invaluable source of information.

Post Thanks / Like
    did you see the 1/2 price deal for the FFR wheels for Black Friday? I think that you will find it challenging to find a set to fit to maximize fit and offset. Unless you are racing wheel weight isn't a big deal esp when you have an excess of power like the typical 818 will. I wanted to go 17 inch front and rear but I gave up and pulled the trigger for the FFR wheels yesterday, couldn't beat the price
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I did pull the trigger on the the ffr wheels. I am just starting my 818 build and trying to pick up a lot of the tools and things i will need for the project this weekend while there are some good deals. My goal for this week is to get the donor car. Having just started the process and envisioning this project being a huge undertaking i dont want to have a result where i skimped on parts after putting so much work into it. The FFR wheels look pretty great I just wish they specified construction methods. When I visited the FFR show room the guy on the floor said they were really just for casual driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    The are normal, cast aluminum wheels, fairly heavy for their size. You want higher strength and less weight, you need more advanced Mfg techniques
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the price, Enkei's cast wheels are very strong and very light (the RPF1 is very light for a cast wheel - the other models are relatively light). They are reasonably priced too. Rotas are popular and have now been around long enough to prove that they are durable. People are tracking them.

I wouldn't bother with forged wheels unless you have a lot of money. Most sets start in the $3k range and go up from there. There are no shortage of really nice looking, very strong, very light, and very expensive forged wheels out there.