BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coil and Starter solenoid placement

Post Thanks / Like

Coil and Starter solenoid placement

This may be in an older thread, but I would like some pics of where people have placed there coils and and starter solenoids. I'm running a 429 with a Mass Flo efi system and am looking to minimize wire clutter. If anyone is using a Mass Flo system those pics would really help. Thanks. Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    If your starter has a solenoid on it, then eliminate the other one. Lots of people mount the coil on the driver side front of the engine. I have also mounted it on the firewall.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coil on the front of the engine.
    Solenoid in the garbage can. Use a started with one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm somewhat confused. My mini starter has a large and small terminal. I've looked at different wiring diagrams which show using the remote ( Ford ) solenoid and starter with solenoid together. I'm using a Ron Francis harness. I'll look at my instructions again as I may have missed something. If I wire without the remote solenoid do I connect pos battery to the large and ignition wire to small?

Post Thanks / Like
    As I do a little more research it may turn out that what I thought is a solenoid on the starter may in fact be part of the configuration of a reduction starter. I'll find out from Summit. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of folks use both the solenoid and the mini-starter. I did as well. It may be redundant, but the solenoid on the firewall gives me additional ease of access and, conveniently, a charging source for my battery because I have the FFMetals trunk box that is not easy to get to.

There are lots of articles on using one or both I recommend you read. I spent hours researching it and I think the conclusion is a very non-satisfying either is fine!
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at the way FFR says to do it for a reduction starter, you are not actually using the solenoid. It is just used as a terminal block.

Either will work. However, every component and connection is a potential point of failure. Keep that number as low as possible. Relays and connections do not fall into the "more is Better" category. Adding in a solenoid adds 5 failure points just on the load circuit. Wire to lug, lug to terminal, the solenoid itself, terminal to lug, lug to wire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Smithbks. I too have the FFMetals box and was going to use external jumper buttons. Avalanche, I was also concerned about redundancy in wiring for potential points of failure. Thanks gentlemen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mini-starter and not using a solenoid (mini-bus on the firewall and FFMetal's box). Coil mounted on driver's side top frame rail 90 degrees off of distributor.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks cgundermann.