Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: body edging?

Post Thanks / Like

body edging?

I and working on the body work for my car and hope to paint in the next few months. But have a question on panel edges.

What is everyone using to separate the edges of the hood or along the fender lip to prevent the hood from rubbing the paint off the fender. Also I want something around the rear engine cover and trunk so all the panels don't rub together and wear or make noise (rattleing and squeaking)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would put a small foam gasket strip, the one with adhesive backing used to seal house doors.

I would put a 2-3in strip every feet or so

Post Thanks / Like
    There should of been some foam gasket strips with backing like cools pot kinda described shipped with the kit. I think I got 15-20ish feet of it with my car. Came in the same box as he bulb seal

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's our job here to give you choices so each decision is difficult, so . . .
    I thought the supplied foam stuff was too thick and too black for my white 818. I bought white rubber strips 1/16 x 2 x 24 (from McMaster-Carr, I think) then cut strips to fit the width of each body edge. It has adhesive backing that is holding so far.
    white rubber strip.JPG
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all, I was gonna do black thin foam along the fenders/bumper/side sails for the covers to sit on.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Love McMaster Carr. I have some 1/8" closed cell foam with adhesive on one side that is left over from my previous project car. I plan to use it for this very purpose.