BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: door frames

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

door frames

I have Gen 2 chassis 385 I think... how many people are having to cut the door frames to get everything to fit without having a ton of stress on the fiberglass door shell. So far I have cut the driver's side...wondering if I will have to cut the pass door...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Passenger fit fine on my car with only adjustment on the hinges and window tracks.

Drivers side I cut slices on the inside of the door in the striker area so I could bend the door so it had a bit more curve and re glasses it with the new shape.

Very little body filler added outside either pass or drivers side. Both windows fit well.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by kabacj; 11-30-2015 at 06:03 PM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik, I thought you had the doors on and working. I had to cut both door frames on mine and put a new halo on the roll cage, this car is so poorly made I think they used Cobra pieces instead of GTM parts. We are still trying to come down there, maybe in Dec.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about all that....the door worked before in mock up....in final assy, I didn't like the stress on the door skin and was worried about long term effects...so I cut the frame...rest of the car is going together pretty nicely ... it is just a lot harder to build than the other FFR cars based on the details required to make it look the part of the "super car"..... it is looking pretty fast in the garage though!

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Both of my doors had to be trimmed (gen 1). I am still trying to get the windows aligned.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm helping a friend build his car (doing the bodywork for him). I actually cut open the passenger door and widened it so that the window could go all the way down. We are also cutting all the flanges around the window and re-glassing them tight to the actual window glass to make them seal.

I posted some vids...GTM 283. But then took the better part of the spring, summer and fall off. I'm back at it now, and will be posting more vids, including the window flanges, soon.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, my kit went together perfectly. (TOTAL SARCASM) Many of the kits I've seen needed the rear upright pillar of the door to be widened to match the width of the glass and a complete angle change of the pillar to match the shape of the glass. The window motor can be relocated in the door without having to cut and widen it for clearance. Myself and others have had problems with the roll cage halo hitting the body when it's sitting on the frame in the door openings too. I understand this is a kit car, and there will be some fg work involved getting it right, but this is a little ridiculous. I'm modifying the body heavily anyway and it's not that big of a deal for me, but what about the guy who has no fg experience at all? I've said it many times, if FFR would fix the problems with the GTM body they'd sell far more kits. I've talked locally and online to DOZENS of people that picked another kit or a production vehicle over the GTM because of the body issues alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    carbon fiber, well said. Now if Factory Five would chime in

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys answers my question. .. going to attack the pass door this weekend.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcarp View Post
    carbon fiber, well said. Now if Factory Five would chime in
    I don't see them chiming in, I don't think it's something they even want to deal with. It really pisses me off to think myself and others paid 25k for what is supposed to be their top level kit and it has such poor fitment quality. They sure can't deny it, the issues have been covered here and the ffcars forum in detail. They don't seem to care. Hell, they raised the price 5k and didn't even fix the body. If I hadn't been doing all the body mods I'm doing I would have to have cut the halo off also. I'm doing tons of mods and I'll have a great car when I finish, but when people ask me how hard it is to build I don't sugar-coat the problems it has either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see them chiming in because they simply don't respond to or monitor forums at all. I only just found out that this site is actually independent of FFR, not run by them. Same goes (obviously) for the FFCars forum. I don't think Dave or anyone at FFR actually sees any of the comments here.

Whether feedback directly to FFR would garner a result or not, I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Just became aware of this thread. If you are having issues with the fitment of the GTM doors give us a call at Factory Five 508-291-3443. We will get you on the phone with Tech support.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Factory Five Marketing

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys yes we do look at all posts .. it's been a while since we looked at the doors on the GTM so i'm going to attack them ASAP to make sure the frames have not changed. If you need help give us a ring so we can try and fix the problem ..This is the first i've heard of this ... Thanks to Erik for keeping us in the loop. If we don't know about the problem it's hard to fix!!

Thanks guys!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, This thread has run its course....all I really needed to know is; since this was my first GTM attempt, IF anybody had run into problems on the door frame...the car I have I had rescued from another "builder" and he basically gave me all the GTM parts in 3 big boxes , all unwrapped. The manual while, ok, doesn't replace the forum for hints and tricks... that's all I was trying to get.... not an assault or frustration about it.... we are building here after all. I fully expect tweaks here and there. That's all part of the fun for me.

Anyway... I spoke with Tony at Factory Five and as Greg stated please contact them directly if feel you have any further questions. To be part of the solution, I have emailed pictures and gathered a few threads and sent them to Tony directly and he is on the case (as well as Greg). In fairness to factory five, the assumptions they review EVERY post is simply not correct....heck I can't even keep up with every thread on every forum (818, Coupe, Roadster, etc) I will tell you, that it has been my experience, that if you document the issue correctly and contact Factory Five they will take a look... Think about it...why would they produce a product to get 10,000 people pissed off? you wouldn't...the strength of Factory Five is that we are building Friendships and Dreams, and most that happens through networking and word of mouth.... it's in their best interest to fix production issues. I have built 6 of these cars (5 of them by myself), each of them had their own issues.... I will promise anyone here.... just finish your car...the first time you crank that engine and take down the street as completed car....all the frustration, pain, and exhaustion will turn into one big smile full of pride!!

didn't mean to get on a soap box...sorry...I need to get out and work on the car

have a great Holiday... I have emptied my PM box, so if you feel the need to flame away, my inbox is open Or just to say hey, that's cool too I am off to tackle the pass door here in about 10 mins. I am going to document issues (if any) and send them to Tony.

Thanks for all the feedback about cutting the frame and to be on the lookout for where I cut it based on the door card and speaker placement...that could have been really bad

getting really close!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have adjusted the jig by a few degrees which will allow the door frames to fit better on the latch side. If you are having issues with your doors, give us a call 508-291-3443.

We ask if you have issues, give us a call. We are here for our customers. We want your project to go as smooth as possible.

Greg
    Factory Five Marketing