Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The latest chassis leak....

Post Thanks / Like

The latest chassis leak....

Ok, sorry for the glamorized title

This is what is posted by FFR in their main website and I'm sure it's still preliminary and subject to change.

What I see is:

OEM Subaru front knuckles/hubs with fabricated A-arm adapters in the 'stock' location up front.
    OEM Subaru front lower control arm w/OEM bushings in the stock location up front.
    OEM steering rack and steering column.
    FFR sourced/fabricated uppercontrol arms in the front.
    OEM rear trailing link, in the rear.
    OEM rear lateral link/s, in the rear. These suggest OEM rear knuckles/hubs.
    OEM sized wheels, but with non-OEM staggered tire sizes
    NOT OEM coilover shocks at all 4 corners.

As it looks in the pic, I see no center tunnel structure. I would normally be concerned about torsional rigidity as it sits without a tunnel, but I know that Jim is a much better engineer than I.

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed something odd in there. And this is merely speculation at this point. But the item outlined in green on my picture appears to be some sort of bracket that attaches to the 2 bolt mount point for the OEM strut on the front spindle. The way it is shaped and the way it contours around the tire leads me to believe this might be a front wheel arch mounting point. Again, this is prototype renderings, so maybe it is just something they were tossing around.
    818archsupport.jpg
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    Mods: Everything except body kits and bling.
    1969 Datsun Fairlady
    Mods: SR20DET+GT2871 (work in progress)

Post Thanks / Like
    The diagonal braces from the rear and front bulkheads down to the floor in the middle could be interesting for elbow room. It looks like they are keeping most of the stock suspension to help meet the price goal. Looks good to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by readymix View Post
    I noticed something odd in there. And this is merely speculation at this point. But the item outlined in green on my picture appears to be some sort of bracket that attaches to the 2 bolt mount point for the OEM strut on the front spindle. The way it is shaped and the way it contours around the tire leads me to believe this might be a front wheel arch mounting point. Again, this is prototype renderings, so maybe it is just something they were tossing around.
    I don't think that is for a wheel arch. I think it's simply an adapter that allow the strut based front knuckle to use an upper A-arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    It also looks a lot like the current part used on the roadster to adapt the mustang front spindle to the upper a-arm. The part might not even be designed yet to use on the sube front and just a grab from the roadster cad files.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    I don't think that is for a wheel arch. I think it's simply an adapter that allow the strut based front knuckle to use an upper A-arm.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    huh, I was pretty close with the exception of drawing about 20-22 in rims,,,

"When I send stuff out I'm disappointed more often than not, so I do it myself. At least when I **** something up I **** it up for free!" - Striper, Ratrod builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to question something about the front suspension design…

Why do the control arms point rearward, like they do on the WRX? Why not switch them sides (as well as the spindles) to make them point forward, as on most mid/rear engine cars? The example of the Porsche 993 comes to my mind, as it looks like an inversion of the Subaru’s front-end. This would make more sense on a packaging point of view, as it would free-up room at the front of the cockpit and provide the ability to move the driving position forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley_2 View Post

Why do the control arms point rearward, ...... Why not switch them sides (as well as the spindles) to make them point forward, ......
    Because if you swapped the spindles (making them rear steer), the car would go left when the steering wheel was turned right. It's also likely that the lower ball joints are set at an angle to match the factory castor setting. Swapping the lower control arms would likely put the ball joint at an exagerated angle at rest, and risk bottoming out and breaking the ball joint under motion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swapping the lower control arms would likely put the ball joint at an exagerated angle at rest, and risk bottoming out and breaking the ball joint under motion.

OK... just that risk kills the idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Because if you swapped the spindles (making them rear steer), the car would go left when the steering wheel was turned right. It's also likely that the lower ball joints are set at an angle to match the factory castor setting. Swapping the lower control arms would likely put the ball joint at an exagerated angle at rest, and risk bottoming out and breaking the ball joint under motion.
    I don't know anything about the exaggerated angle, or bottoming out. But inverting the steering rack would correct the left-right problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    I don't know anything about the exaggerated angle, or bottoming out. But inverting the steering rack would correct the left-right problem.
    But wouldn't that also put the steering wheel on the 'wrong' side?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    theres leaks in the chassis?!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it aint so.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe. Never gave it much thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotr8 View Post
    huh, I was pretty close with the exception of drawing about 20-22 in rims,,,

I loved your designs. Please submit them so I can drive it some day.

Post Thanks / Like

Right Side!

Or the Right side

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    Maybe. Never gave it much thought.
    Yes please submit Rotr8. I would pay a premium to drive something like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, sorry for the glamorized title

This is what is posted by FFR in their main website and I'm sure it's still preliminary and subject to change.

What I see is:

OEM Subaru front knuckles/hubs with fabricated A-arm adapters in the 'stock' location up front.
    OEM Subaru front lower control arm w/OEM bushings in the stock location up front.
    OEM steering rack and steering column.
    FFR sourced/fabricated uppercontrol arms in the front.
    OEM rear trailing link, in the rear.
    OEM rear lateral link/s, in the rear. These suggest OEM rear knuckles/hubs.
    OEM sized wheels, but with non-OEM staggered tire sizes
    NOT OEM coilover shocks at all 4 corners.

As it looks in the pic, I see no center tunnel structure. I would normally be concerned about torsional rigidity as it sits without a tunnel, but I know that Jim is a much better engineer than I.
    Also looks like it will probably use the OEM steering wheel, FWIW

Here's some parts that might be of interest to people building an 818, based on this drawing:
    STi lateral link set
    http://www.fastwrx.com/stilaliset.html

STi trailing link set
    http://www.fastwrx.com/stitrliset.html
    Last edited by spaceywilly; 05-20-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we still have to wait for the official release to know which model and year is ideal for the build before we can start buying upgrade parts, right?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was reviewing the chassis this morning with Jim before it is sent to powder-coating for the open house. It's amazing how close the software version comes in real-life, still there are substantial changes that the production cars will have but that most people will not notice. Things like bracket design, adding radiuses, etc. The Open House will have the 818 chassis on display and Jim had strategically convinced NASA to have a race on the same week-end so he wont be here personally.... I think there will be a great amount of discussion following the results of the judging and the winners of the competition. I also think that alot of questions will become clear as the design work progresses.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I was reviewing the chassis this morning with Jim before it is sent to powder-coating for the open house. It's amazing how close the software version comes in real-life, still there are substantial changes that the production cars will have but that most people will not notice. Things like bracket design, adding radiuses, etc. The Open House will have the 818 chassis on display and Jim had strategically convinced NASA to have a race on the same week-end so he wont be here personally.... I think there will be a great amount of discussion following the results of the judging and the winners of the competition. I also think that alot of questions will become clear as the design work progresses.
    After the open house, will there be more frequent progress updates? I wasn't sure if that's what you meant.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What I meant was that we should have a better idea of the timeline and, keeping in mind the difference between say a targa, a convert, and a full-on coupe, based on the competition direction and ideas taken from it, we will be able to be perhaps more specific about things like parts being used, etc. I guess Im saying that we have given as much information as possible, but have not wanted to corrupt the creativity of the contest. Inevitably there will be more concrete directions and plans after this stage is over. As far as communicating on a more regular basis, I think all FFR designs have been fairly collaborative, but I think too much involvement leads to a watered down car. Jim needs to take his vision to reality with the help of the community, as we';ve always done, but not with daily posts that promise things that never happen.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting point Dave..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very good points about diluting the visions of either the contestants or Jim. One of the things that has me so amped up for this car is the singular focus I think I see in FFR towards hitting the goals for this killer machine.

I'm planning to attend the Open House, hopefully there will be lots of 818 content to the day! What convenient timing for Jim... maybe the 818 contingent should take a field trip and corner him between sessions at the track!

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, agree with no expectation of regular status updates or of open collaboration discussions. Its your car, your vision, your design. You can silently listen to the feedback on this forum, and glean what you wish, but still make your car, your way. There has always been a lot to like in FFR designs, part of the great success, and none of those involved this much client input so soon in the process. I think that more client involvement great, but its also possible to overdo it. Even though I'm itching to know more, I think you've made the right choices on how much to share, how much to engage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on the other side of the fence about regular updates. It would be nice if you (Dave) were available to answer questions we may have about the design and give us a little more feedback on what was happening with the design. Please notice I'm not saying you should ask for input, only offer up some info to keep us interested.

In the defense of community input, I have to say it is a very powerful tool. Many good ideas can flow from a large focus group of people, however it is up to the head designer (Jim in this case) to weed out what is good and bad, and make the final decision as to what makes it in the end.
    Last edited by D2W; 05-27-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am all alone here at FFR as the Holiday weekend gets underway. Regarding the community-based development stuff, i personally feel that alot of companies make a big deal out of this, while we simply do. The hallmark of our company has been community, evolution of product based on feedback from the same, and the ability to strike the right balance between feedback and the singular vision that commonly brings greatness. I think the the 818 has already been the most collaborative car to date and I wont mind stepping in and giving you guys candid updates and probing the community at the right forks in the road. Keep in mind that there IS and has already been an army of close development customers, builders and guys in the community who have added real, qualified help. We've done beta programs (real ones that were limited to 4-6 guys with varied talents building cars before they were in production NOT some insane number like 50 or so just to pretend in order to sell cars that arent developed as some companies do).

I will bring up the level of discourse as we go further, but hope that we've struck the right balance in the body design chapter of the story here.

Have a great Memorial Day and thank a Vet for the truth that we spend our days doing such fun things in a dangerous world where freedom is, and always will be under assault. USA.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Dave////////////Happy Memorial day. .Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would have been nice to have seen these sort of images in the beginning.

I suspect several of the designs posted would have become more minimalist, or at least not so high in the back and wedge-like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    It would have been nice to have seen these sort of images in the beginning.

I suspect several of the designs posted would have become more minimalist, or at least not so high in the back and wedge-like.
    This image was up on the ffr site the day the contest started

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to see the chassis after open house

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Many parts of the chassis (like the rear vert roll bar) are changeable. We wanted variety in the contest and after seeing the submissions first-hand, I can tell you they are amazing!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this needs to be in this thread.

I've noticed a few things, but I will have to wait until after work to point them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we need a caption contest for that photo, Jim and Brian both have that well what should we do now look.
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Captions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    " I still think it would look better with bigger wheels at the front"

- Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Stolen from another seemingly unrelated thread....

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting find on the roadster body pic, but I don't think that is the 818 chassis under the body, in fact you can see the 818 frame in the foreground with it. I don't think it's another 818 frame as the roll cage pic up points are all a bit different on the one under the roadster body.

I am wondering if they are fitting a new body on Ed's 25 hour car?

-Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Stolen from another seemingly unrelated thread....

Da Bunnies have allowed me to post this internal memo:

From "Da Boss Bunny"
    To: All Spy Bunnies
    RE: Pictures taken by FFR staff and posted to the fff.com forum

"Do not think that those pictures were posted without approvals from "upper management". They put the Subaru steering column and factory power brake booster, along with the left rear suspension, with just a hint of rear mounted engine in the discarded pictures pile....Let it be known, the pictures posted by accident were actually taken out of the discarded pile and slipped into the approved pile by an undercover "Spy Bunny" who has infiltrated the FFR organization at a high level. Details of this project are slowly being leaked out by our spy as dead drops allow. We will update you as they become available."

Bill S.
    Last edited by mrmustang; 06-28-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Interesting find on the roadster body pic, but I don't think that is the 818 chassis under the body, in fact you can see the 818 frame in the foreground with it. I don't think it's another 818 frame as the roll cage pic up points are all a bit different on the one under the roadster body.

-Scott
    I hadn't even noticed the red Roadster when I posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post

-Scott
    He posted that pic for the bit of 818 showing in it. I hope no one thinks that's an 818 frame under that body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast