BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MKIV Complete Kit Build Thread - Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

MKIV Complete Kit Build Thread - Wisconsin

Stewart Transport should be in Wisconsin this Friday or Saturday. My 15 year-old son did a great job on the body buck and the garage is ready. Can't wait to build this with him over the next couple years. Some of the custom work you all do is amazing and I wish we were capable of that. I think we are planning to stay in our lane and keep to the book. We are already learning a lot from the many build threads here. Thank you for those and thank you in advance for any advice along the way!!

MKIV Complete Kit
    BPE 427 Carbureted
    TKO 600 transmission
    Mechanical Fuel Pump
    Manual steering
    Hydraulic clutch
    Powdercoated chassis
    Lowback vintage seats
    17" Halibrand wheel/tire
    2018 IRS 3.55 center section/spindles
    FFR 13" IRS brake kit
    FFR stainless side exhaust
    Chrome driver rollbar
    Swaybars front/rear
    Wind wings
    Sun visors
    Heater/Defroster
    Body cut outs
    Paint = my son wants to do black with grey racing stripes
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-01-2022 at 12:53 PM.

2. Likes sixgun liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    BODY BUCK

Followed body buck template in back of online manual.
    BodyBuck.jpg
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the best advise I got for my kit was power steering. I do not know how to convince you, but it is a win-win option.
    Like your option list.
    Last edited by Railroad; 11-11-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

5. Likes JB in NOVA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheverett, looks like you have a solid plan and you just can't go wrong with a 427 carb'd - old school baby! I'm going with EFI on mine, but you might want to go with the new TKX transmission? Make sure to video that delivery from Stewart Transport. I tell you, that was, for me, and incredible highlight and so glad I captured my emotions. Other than that, enjoy building it with your son (priceless) and other family members & friends. I too will be following along...

Dj
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, that will be a great project with your son. Good call on the 427 fun engine to have in these cars! I am with Railroad on adding power steering, would definitely consider adding it to your build. Also would look into Mike Forte's mechanical throttle linkage. With the current part supply shortage do not be surprised if you have to bounce all over on the build and divert form the build manual, usually you can always find something to work on.

Have fun with your build, looking forward to seeing it come together.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! We've gotta think about steering options a little more. Like the idea of it feeling like the original but not completely sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come to think of it... You might also want to consider integrating some of (RT-Russ Thompson) product's? The (DT- Drop Trunk) kit is very cool, not to mention his (TS-Turn Signal) and other accessories he has to offer. Check em out, you will not be disappointed! I have the DT/TS and throttle pedal for my build. I also added the NRG Steering Wheel Thin / Slim Quick Release Version and did that mod to remove my steering wheel. None are simple mods to do, but with the right planning, tools and just taking your time carefully, they can be accomplished. Enjoy the journey...

Dj
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

10. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, welcome to the fun, and thanks sharing the journey with a build thread. Building with your son is such a great experience, and from the sound of it he's both motivated and capable, which is cool. It'll be fun to see your updates. Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in the Twin Cities if you're ever over this way. Cheers -- John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    Hey, welcome to the fun, and thanks sharing the journey with a build thread. Building with your son is such a great experience, and from the sound of it he's both motivated and capable, which is cool. It'll be fun to see your updates. Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in the Twin Cities if you're ever over this way. Cheers -- John
    Thanks! We are 30 minutes north of Milwaukee.
    Chad

13. Likes John Ibele liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    DELIVERY

Sharp looking truck arrived early this morning!
    FFRtruck.jpg

Coming off the truck. Kelly was great!
    Unload.jpg

Up the driveway.
    Upthedriveway2.jpg

Into the garage.
    Intogarage.jpg

Inventory starts when my son gets home from school!!
    Garage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's such magical day! I know I was on cloud nine, er, five all day long... And Kelly is such a cool person and delivered mine too. I so want to believe... (pun intended) That if I was a truck driver, I would love to work for Stewart Transport and play Santa delivering for Factory Five! I still remember when he dropped mine off, it was Christmas and I was a young boy again Have a great time and just enjoy each and every moment. All the best on your build journey!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

..............This is truly a very special day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!
    I was one stop before you on Thursday. I think ours were bunk mates.
    Kelly on the crane.jpgin the trailer 1.jpg
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    That's so cool! Congrats to you too! Have fun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    INVENTORY

Inventory finished! Like most we are waiting on some key parts of front suspension, IRS, and many other items. My son and I are excited to start chipping away at what we can while we wait. We are planning to start with Sharkhide on all the aluminum while the weather is still decent.

My son put the first wrench on it!
    Firstwrech.jpg

Blank slate is ready to go.
    Readytoroll.JPG
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! So awesome that your son got to put the first wrench on it. You guys are in for a great adventure together. I look foward to following along.
    MKIV Complete Kit #9822 l BluePrint 347 EFI l TKO600 l Power Steering l Heater/Defrost l Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    F-PANEL AND UPPER BALL JOINT

Acetone to F panel and a coat of Sharkhide. Clecos are a great help - thank you to the forum for that! Rivet gun works really well too.
    FPanelRivet.jpg

Thanks to the great advice found on this forum we kept from breaking my small bench vise. My son took off a little coating of the upper ball joint threads with this nylon brush on the cordless drill. Just took some of the black paint off the threads. We were afraid to rough them up too much. Blue thread locker and we could screw it almost all the way into the upper control arm with a small pipe wrench. Then we tightened it in the vise.
    NylonBrushBallJoint.jpg

Just hand tightened and did not grease anything yet, but we have a start. Waiting on lower control arm and brake pads to go any further with this area. We have not yet decided on what we will work in the meantime.
    FpanelUCA.jpg
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    COIL (Cobra Owners of Illinois) my have to take a drive to see you build next spring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jiriza84641 View Post
    COIL (Cobra Owners of Illinois) my have to take a drive to see you build next spring!
    That would be really fun to see! We are not too far up into Wisconsin. We better get to work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cheverett View Post
    That would be really fun to see! We are not too far up into Wisconsin. We better get to work!!
    It'll be a nice road trip, also, if you run into some questions feel free to hit us up, im on the FB forums as AL PACINO.

25. Likes cheverett liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    REAR SPINDLE PREP AND PANELS

Rear spindle prep done with the couple holes enlarged to 5/8" and ears cut off. Sawzall worked well with finer tooth metal blades. Hubs torqued onto each spindle.
    RearSpindles-hubs.jpg

My son getting the firewall panel on.
    FireWallPanel.jpg

Driver front footbox panel on. Acetone again to clean and Sharkhide coating on both.
    DriverFrontFootbox.jpg

An unknown 28 pound package from FFR is set to arrive by FedEx tomorrow! Really hoping front LCA and shocks are in there or the center section mounting hardware. Otherwise we will sort out what else we can peck away at while we wait for delayed parts.
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably a simple answer that I am too slow to sort out, but why do some of my photos rotate counter-clockwise 90 degrees upon uploading here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably a simple answer that I am too slow to sort out, but why do some of my photos rotate counter-clockwise 90 degrees upon uploading here?
    Probably due to how you take the shot - landscape or portrait. I found that if you "edit" the photo, i.e., trim a little off the edges, or orient it the way you want it, and then save the photo prior to uploading, they'll orient correctly when you post.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome to the family! What type of floor tiles are you using there ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Congrats and welcome to the family! What type of floor tiles are you using there ?
    Thanks!! Two of these vinyl mats 7.5' x 17' off amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Last edited by cheverett; 12-06-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cheverett. Welcome aboard!

If you're using a laptop with Windows, open the picture using Paint (free accessory that's part of windows) and Save. No need to adjust or alter the picture. I, too, have the picture rotation issue, but I Save any picture that is rotated and the issue is resolved.
    Chris Build Thread Index
    Complete kit delivered: 10/15/2020. First Start: 6/25/22. First Go-Kart: 8/14/22. Legal: 7/25/23.
    Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars.
    This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin.
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and I'm looking forward to your build. I'm due in mid March and will be following you. Good luck!
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    The spindle mod, what's up with that? I think I saw a couple of mentions about it...Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyK215 View Post
    The spindle mod, what's up with that? I think I saw a couple of mentions about it...Thanks!
    We are still waiting on some parts to get deeper into the rear suspension but I believe the modified portion of the spindle is where the IRS upper control arm will be attached. Attached using a 5/8" bolt so we opened up the hole to that size and sawed that extra ear off to keep it from getting in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    SECOND SWITCH MOUNT FABRICATED

Our only obstacle to getting the pedal box going was one missing switch mount. You can't even tell which one my son fabricated in the shop at the high school. Awesome learning experience for him and now we can still move forward a bit despite all the missing parts for every other step in the build.

SwitchMounts.jpg
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks better than the provided ones!

37. Likes cheverett liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be following a couple months behind you. My kit is scheduled to be built on March 5, 2022. I am also in southern Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like
    REAR STUDS

We finally went back to replace the studs in the rear hubs. This little gadget with a bearing in the back of it was AWESOME! Impact wrench to the lug nut and it pulled each stud straight through and tight in about 15 seconds.

WheelStudInstaller.jpg

WheelStudInstaller2.jpg

Filed head of stud like the OEM ones were to stay clear of the rubber ring.
    FiledStud.jpg

The manual states that it is possible to replace the studs with the hub on the spindle but easier with it off. The main issue was being unable to fully back out the old studs with the spindle in the way. We had to cut the old studs in half to then pound them and back them out. The more narrow studs from the kit insert back in easily with the spindle attached.

Post Thanks / Like
    PEDAL BOX AND MASTER CYLINDERS

Pedal box is in. QUESTION: When the time comes to adjust the brake and clutch switch positions, how far does each pedal have to actuate the white button on the end of each switch unit? Half way? All the way? I'm asking now because even if we bottom out each switch unit on the mount, the white button does not get pressed all the way in. Thought about slightly bending the mount toward each pedal or using a thin washer (or nothing) between the mount and the switch unit in order to set it back further toward the pedal??
    BF1134E4-ED70-41F6-8F70-5246D59F6C7B_1_201_a.jpg

Master Cylinders hooked up.
    8D7E4AB3-ED8D-4CC8-809F-ECA649A8A8D2_1_201_a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Pedal box is in. QUESTION: When the time comes to adjust the brake and clutch switch positions, how far does each pedal have to actuate the white button on the end of each switch unit? Half way? All the way? I'm asking now because even if we bottom out each switch unit on the mount, the white button does not get pressed all the way in. Thought about slightly bending the mount toward each pedal or using a thin washer (or nothing) between the mount and the switch unit in order to set it back further toward the pedal??
    Only way you're going to know for sure is with a continuity tester or VOM across the terminals on the switch. Highly recommend one or the other, preferably IMO a VOM, as a basic tool requirement for one of these builds. There are many great choices. No need to go real expensive or pro quality. Also wouldn't recommend too cheap. I'm very happy with my Klein Tools MM600.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-30-2021 at 11:33 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

42. Likes cheverett liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Only way you're going to know for sure is with a continuity tester or VOM across the terminals on the switch. Highly recommend one or the other, preferably IMO a VOM, as a basic tool requirement for one of these builds. There are many great choices. No need to go real expensive or pro quality. Also wouldn't recommend too cheap. I'm very happy with my Klein Tools MM600.

CLUTCH/BRAKE SWITCH

Thank you edwardb! Per the VOM it looks like the white switch only has to move about a third of the way in to function. We backed the switch units in a bit further toward the pedals using a thin washer between the mount and the unit instead of the provided thicker nut. This almost bottoms out the white switch button in neutral pedal position.
    35272CA9-179D-4CCA-8597-5296AF2D8C25_1_201_a.jpg
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-18-2022 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I ended up adjusting my brake light switch once the tail lights were installed. It is easy to adjust and fine tune in, mine is set to come on as soon I put any pressure on the pedal obviously to alert other drivers I am beginning to brake. I chose not to run a clutch safety switch, seemed like one more little item that could cause a no start issue down the road. So far after 2200 miles I have no regrets not having a clutch safety switch. I have always started the car while sitting in drivers seat and confirmed it is in neutral.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    TRIPLE RESERVOIR

Triple reservoir mounted and connected to master cylinders. We made a quarter inch aluminum mount for in front of the foot box. (Seen on this forum - Thanks Papa!) Very stable in place. Drilled an extra 1 inch hole in the front foot box panel and ran the 3 hoses to the master cylinders. Bought some grommets and cushion clamps at the hardware store so we could get this done.

3994493A-845A-4C6C-A2C8-D177FC5CFE86_1_201_a.jpg
    D2926DB0-FEF6-473E-A6DB-0A9E1C82BD30_1_201_a.jpg
    91E4A4E5-843F-49CE-ADA2-ADA1E6C4DF14_1_201_a.jpg
    Last edited by cheverett; 01-19-2022 at 09:12 AM.

46. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Triple reservoir mounted and connected to master cylinders. We made a quarter inch aluminum mount for in front of the foot box. (Seen on this forum - Thanks Papa!) Very stable in place. Drilled an extra 1 inch hole in the front foot box panel and ran the 3 hoses to the master cylinders. Bought some grommets and cushion clamps at the hardware store so we could get this done.
    Kudos to you for drilling through the front wall of the DS footbox! That is thick and it ain't easy...and a 1" hole at that. I like your reservoir setup, and the aluminum bracket to mount them on just makes sense, doesn't it? Looking good, Cheverett!
    Chris Build Thread Index
    Complete kit delivered: 10/15/2020. First Start: 6/25/22. First Go-Kart: 8/14/22. Legal: 7/25/23.
    Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars.
    This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin.
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Kudos to you for drilling through the front wall of the DS footbox! That is thick and it ain't easy...and a 1" hole at that. I like your reservoir setup, and the aluminum bracket to mount them on just makes sense, doesn't it? Looking good, Cheverett!
    Chris,
    Full disclosure here . We only had to drill the 1" hole through the aluminum panel for the front brake reservoir hose. The black fixed front footbox wall portion had a 1.5 inch hole in it already. I don't think we will need anything else going through that hole? Thanks!
    Chad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast