Hi guys.

I have a question that I think quite a few people here have the experience to answer.

Do you think it's worth spending the additional money to have an engine 'built" by reputable engine shops, or is it more practical to by a crate engine from GMPP, Ford Racing, or Roush? I'm thinking about a power train for my next build (I don't know what that's going to be yet, but I'm think I have it down to 3 to 4 choices) and I think I want to be in the 500 to 550 bhp range, and I know want it to be as bulletproof as possible.

Mast Motorsports, Katech, Inc., Nelson Racing Engines, Forte, Schwartz, etc., etc., etc. They all claim to have the most sound engineering, and they all show stellar customer references, but what are the opinions of the people here who have used shops like these to build your engines? Was it worth it? Would you do it again? If you had any issues, did they stand behind their products or did they try to get out of correcting for you?

I know that there are quite a few people here who have had engines built. And I've read some of the stories of how these engines were the best car investment they've made as well as some who said that they've had A LOT of issues with them, including catastrophic failures in the first 500 miles.

If you go that route, how do you know who to trust? And is that trust based on personal knowledge and experience with the engine builder, or based on the the fact that they had a cool web-site, that drew you in? I know that most people put more effort into than that, but you never know.

Thanks in advance.

Mike