BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sealing the interior

Post Thanks / Like

sealing the interior

I!m ready to put the body on GTM 284, to begin the body work. Should I seal the interior up now or wait till I!m done with the body?
    Thanks Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    You will produce a ton of dust when you do the bodywork. Fiberglass dust, which will get everywhere and create an itchy rash wherever it touches. I'll leave it up to you, but I personally wouldn't want that all over my seats and in my carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don!t intend to put the interior in, just seal the aluminum panels so water cant get in when done. I should have said caulk the interior with RTV.
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Leonard

You might want to consider using auto body seam sealer instead of RTV. Seam sealer will cover with paint or undercoat while RTV will not. Maybe it does not matter for how you plan to finish the car just pointing it out.

I would seal the car with the body / doors off. It's just easier. A strong light placed on the outside of the car will help you identify holes that need sealing.

And I assume you have roughed in the wiring for the horn/lights/wipers/battery? I would do that before I sealed everything up and put the body on.
    Last edited by kabacj; 12-11-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with John about the seam sealer.I coated all my panels with lizard skin and painted them before installing them and used seam sealer on the foot boxes and front bulkheads panels but made the tunel panels removable using a thin peel and stick rubber strip on the frame and securing the panels with self tapping screws,also used sound and heat insulation to block the tunnel heat and noise.You will find that removing the tunnel panel will make any need to servive or repairs easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mikespms; 12-11-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help Mike and John. I believe I will seal it up before I put the body on.
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Another reason to seal before you do body work...dust will get into the joints, and make it hard for seam sealer or silicone to stick. I woild seal it from the outside as much as I can, and back it up with another layer on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone want to share tips on sealing from the body just behind the door to the gas tanks? I want to redo this area and it is an odd shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used cardboard to make a template then fabbed a single aluminum panel that covers and seals the entire area. The edges have bulb seal on them, and fit tight to the body, gas tank covers, and rear bulkhead. This is the best picture I have. I did not use the FFR close-out panels. Hope this helps.

-Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images