Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Insurance in NY (under 25)

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance in NY (under 25)

Hey guys- I'm just a few months away from being 25, so if I can't find an insurer I will just wait till after winter. But I'm looking for someone to insure my 818 in NY. I tried Leland West, Robyn at Midwest, American Modern, National Corvette Museum, Travelers, Geico, General, and Progressive. No such luck from any of them :/

Any ideas, guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Chrome, State Farm (probably not), Gundy, Hagerty
    FFR Complete MKIV Kit (#8271)
    Ordered: Jan 21, 14, Registered: Aug 19, 15
    408 Keith Craft Engine (512 hp, 534 ftlb), Tremec TKO600, Fast EFI, 8.8 Solid 3.55:1 Rear End, FFR Replica Halibrands (9 & 10-1/2"),
    Dual Chrome Roll Bars/Bumpers/Polished Exhaust, Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Why will the ones you list not give you a policy? Did they give a reason? I have NCM/American Modern and they require 9 years of driving experience regardless of age. So if you didn't have your license on your 16th birthday you wouldn't meet that requirement on your 25th birthday. Does NY let you get your license at 16? In MD you have to be 16 1/2 to get a provisional license and you don't get a full license until you are 18. When I was looking around many of the collector car type policies had a similar rule.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I did try Hagerty, no dice.

It's always the 9 year rule for me (still 24), and I got mine at 16.5 but the companies seem happy with just 25. I'll be 25 in March, which is when the upstate will start defrosting (actually I'll be traveling in Asia during and for a few weeks after my birthday), so it isn't the end of the world. "Winter" hasn't fully set in but it will in a week or so (according to the forecast). So waiting till March won't be terrible different than getting it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 23 and pretty much accept that I will probably just have to run liability when I finish my build next year(I hope). Even if i found someone the cost seems to be way to high to be worth it. I remember when I called Hagerty to get insurance on my 85 Mr2 that i just finished restoring this year they quoted me 2k for 6 months of coverage for a 10k value plan. It's a registered historic car in my state I drive it less then 100 miles a year. I have a clean record, but man I just can't justify paying such high insurance. For me its worth the risk for some it may not be. With my 818 I'm shooting for liability and comprehensive if I can find someone...

Post Thanks / Like
    State Farm worked fur me right before I turn 25. But in in Cali. Might be a bit different due to location.