FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Questions regarding the gtm

Post Thanks / Like

Questions regarding the gtm

Hi
    I have been seriously considering building a ff gtm ever since i visited the plant last year. But i have wanted to do something a bit different than the usual gtm. I was thinking about possibility of putting a turbine engine in it. First of how much body work needs to be done on the car once it has arrived? second im kind of stuck using a porche 928 transmission (only one my friend makes adapters for) is there a possibility of using a 928 transmission or does it have to be the g50? How big is the fuel tank? and how much should i be expecting to spend w/o the engine and transmission. Last how difficult is it to put together.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Umm... some round prices from my initial research starting from scratch.

25k for kit
    6k for pallet of used parts -or- 13k for pallet of new parts -or- 8-10k for a donor Corvette.
    5k for accessories
    There are two gas tanks that are 8-9 gallons each. In the Vette, there is a pump that feeds one gas tank from the other through a connecting tube.
    Difficulty in putting it together is based off of experience/skill. The manual has lots of pictures, and a portion of the work is done already if you don't use a donor car. (granted, there are other pro's about getting a donor car vs. pallet of parts)
    I'm sure Shane and others can chime in on time required to put it together. (I just recently acquired my GTM and the go-kart is partially completed, so I'm not sure how much time has already been invested). I think there is less time needed if you are building a generation 1 vs. generation 2 GTM. Somewhere in the forums I read that, including body work and paint, it took over 1k hours. I would imagine this to be varied based upon how perfect you want the car to look, and dependent on any mods that you have to do. If you are going do something as unusual as the turbine engine, I would expect that you will be doing a considerable number of modifications to mount the engine/tranny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceflo View Post
    Umm... some round prices from my initial research starting from scratch.

25k for kit
    6k for pallet of used parts -or- 13k for pallet of new parts -or- 8-10k for a donor Corvette.
    5k for accessories
    There are two gas tanks that are 8-9 gallons each. In the Vette, there is a pump that feeds one gas tank from the other through a connecting tube.
    Difficulty in putting it together is based off of experience/skill. The manual has lots of pictures, and a portion of the work is done already if you don't use a donor car. (granted, there are other pro's about getting a donor car vs. pallet of parts)
    I'm sure Shane and others can chime in on time required to put it together. (I just recently acquired my GTM and the go-kart is partially completed, so I'm not sure how much time has already been invested). I think there is less time needed if you are building a generation 1 vs. generation 2 GTM. Somewhere in the forums I read that, including body work and paint, it took over 1k hours. I would imagine this to be varied based upon how perfect you want the car to look, and dependent on any mods that you have to do. If you are going do something as unusual as the turbine engine, I would expect that you will be doing a considerable number of modifications to mount the engine/tranny.
    yes if all goes to plan their will be significant modifications but i will have professionals doing that for me. im more woried about body work and fit and finish of the interior. but thanks for replaying. also what is the diffrence between gen 1 and gen 2 i cant find pictures on their site comparing the two

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the obvious modifications are found in the body. I believe there is a Youtube video by Dave Smith explaining what is new on the Gen 2 GTM. The Gen 2 uses different new molds than the old Gen 1 molds.
    The obvious ones are:

Front shape of car redesigned a bit:
    1) Grill opening is smaller
    2) Windshield bump removed from hood
    3) Different louvers on hood
    4) Front Canard mounting area
    5) Different shaped front splitter
    6) Headlamp buckets are molded as part of the body. Generation 1 headlamp molds were needed to be glassed in.

Doors:
    1) A-piller is now molded with body and not part of the door
    2) Doors are suppose to fit better
    3) Rear Quarter windows are glass

Rear:
    1) Hatch is now shorter and can be opened up with a spoiler mounted to the car
    2) The generation one hatch extended all the way to the back and folded over the end to complete the back portion of the car. The back portion of the Gen2 GTM is now molded as part of the body
    3) Dropped angle of the rear diffuser

Interior:
    1) Different/New gauges
    2) Hand stitched seams on panels

Chassis:
    1) Changed the geometry of the front end to allow more Caster

I'm sure there are other changes, but these are a number of the improvements made for the Generation 2 GTMs.