Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Routing the coolant/heating lines

Post Thanks / Like

Routing the coolant/heating lines

So I need some light shed on this, I bought the header tank kit and heater bypass valve from my race shop and I see the pic of the system laid out but I have a few questions

1. Just making sure the heater core can be routed either way, no specific inlet or outlet flow
    2. Which hoses get routed to the two small openings in the upper corner of the radiator then?
    3. If you chose not to have a coolant resavoir (which I would like to do to clean up that front area) did you just run a drain tube down to the ground? If so how often does it discharge coolant?
    4. Where did you install the header tank specifically (pics would be great)
    5. Did you install the bypass valve and switch anywhere specific?

Thanks for any help! It'll help me make the most of the time I have in the garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker298 View Post
    So I need some light shed on this, I bought the header tank kit and heater bypass valve from my race shop and I see the pic of the system laid out but I have a few questions

1. Just making sure the heater core can be routed either way, no specific inlet or outlet flow
    2. Which hoses get routed to the two small openings in the upper corner of the radiator then?
    3. If you chose not to have a coolant resavoir (which I would like to do to clean up that front area) did you just run a drain tube down to the ground? If so how often does it discharge coolant?
    4. Where did you install the header tank specifically (pics would be great)
    5. Did you install the bypass valve and switch anywhere specific?

Thanks for any help! It'll help me make the most of the time I have in the garage
    Heater core can be run either way. Convention says that the hot line should be the higher located line, but not critical either way.

There are usually two 1/4" nipples that are open and functional on the right side radiator tank. If you eliminate the forward mounted coolant tank then you would cap one of those, and put the petcock on the other one. The petcock allows you to bleed the system of air at the front where it may be trapped in the angled radiator. You shouldn't have to use the petcock very often...like never unless you crack open the cooling system and introduce air into the system after it has been initially bled of all air. If yo have to regularly use the petcock to remove air from the radiator, then you have a problem somewhere else in the system.

Header tank can be mounted anywhere you can find space for it, but the top of the tank needs to be higher than the rest of the engine cooling system. It is actually best if the line from the steam vents(highest point of the cooling system on the engine) goes upward from the steam vent attachment to the header tank. This insures that any air will naturally move into the header tank. The only place that is really practical is on the rear firewall, up high, or mounted to one of the down tubes of the frame on the sides of the engine compartment.

The most common place for the bypass valve is in the tunnel between the water pump and the heater core. The vacuum valve can really go anywhere also, but the most common place I have seen is between the bypass valve and the engine. Remember that this is really dictated by the vacuum line length that is supplied and how much you extend the original solenoid control wiring.

HTH.
    Last edited by crash; 12-29-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash, thanks! That's everything I needed to know!