Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Base Kit MK IV Ignition Install Using 2001 Mustang Cobra Donor

Post Thanks / Like

Base Kit MK IV Ignition Install Using 2001 Mustang Cobra Donor

We will be starting the wiring of my Mk IV build in about a week and I am trying to understand how the donor ignition from the 2001 Mustang Cobra is to be installed in the kit. There isn't anything useful in the manual and the answers from FFR haven't helped. If you have any pictures to go with the description, I would really appreciate that. You guys have been amazing so far! Thank you for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments regarding the manual and FFR. It's more my thick skull that's at fault here as I am trying envision how the stock Mustang ignition will be installed in the base kit. If anyone has suggestions and hopefully pictures, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm somewhat confused by your question. What exactly are you describing when you say ignition from a 2001 Cobra Donor? Are you planning on installing the steering column? I tried this and finally gave up when I decided I didn't really like the look of the "fat" 92 OEM column. In a way it was cool from a feature perspective but just doesn't fit the look in my opinion for a iconic vehicle. Are you using all OEM stuff for your wiring. If I remember correctly my kit came with a wiring harness. Did your kit not have one? The manual does not plan for you to use alternate columns so that is the reason you will not find that kind of info there.

The other interpretation of ignition could be distributor and associated components. Need some clarity on this.

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank for your reply. I am trying to use my Mustang donor to make the MK IV look as close as possible to the original 1965 Cobra. I am using the wiring harness from the Mustang since this is explained in the base manual. What isn't clear is how the ignition is installed. In a complete kit, there is a new wiring harness and the key is mounted in the dash as was done in the original Cobra. I am installing the steering column from FFR including a leather wrapped wheel. The manual shows the 2001 Mustang key zip tied to the PATS module inside the dash and there is a brief mention on page 222 that the ignition switch is mounted in the dash and to refer to Mustang wiring diagrams. I have the complete multi-book, many thousands of page 2001 Ford Mustang shop manual and can't find anything useful there. I'm trying to understand how to proceed.