Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18"s MK4 Build Thread

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallace18"s MK4 Build Thread

Well I decided to pull the trigger on a MK4 during the 50% sale. This will be my 6th Factory five build and 4th personal one. I have built a 33, 3-818's and a Type 65. I currently have my Coupe for sale but I have a good feeling it is closing on a sale soon. I pick up my kit on 1/30/16 or there about. I will be scanning the build threads here. I look forward to help as I did on my other builds and maybe offer some of my ideas as well. When I was at FFR this summer my wife sat in several MK4's that were in the showroom. She really liked how much easier they were to get in and out of compared to the coupe. Being the thoughtful husband I am I told her I would sell the coupe and build a MK4 for her. She had a Miata and misses the open top driving.

Here is what I am starting with and as always will most likely spend 25% more than I wanted to. LOL. I did save a ton buying on the 50% sale though.

MK4 complete kit, I bought a 93 5.0 out of a Mustang GT from Prestige Mustang as well as a T-5 and 3:27 rear end all for $1700.00.
    ceramic headers
    Chrome roll bars, I will basically build the engine the same as my Coupe. I will add A/C and other goodies from FFR vendors.
    Chrome bumpers
    3-link
    Powder coat chassis
    T-5 setup
    302 mounts
    wind wings
    sun visors
    floor mats
    brake mesh
    grommets
    side louver
    17" wheels
    big & tall leather seats
    GPS gauge set
    body cut outs
    11.65 rear disc's
    soft top
    extra side mirror
    power steering kit, I look forward to doing this build. I am still waiting on parts to finish my customers Electric 818, so I will bounce back and forth putting emphasis on finishing the 818.
    Last edited by wallace18; 01-16-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lucky you the way the Canadien dollars is dropping I think my built is jeopardize

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to reading about your MK4 build. Looks like the soft top option is not part of the 50/50 which is too bad given the stout price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well My Type 65 Coupe has sold. I am fortunate that the buyer is allowing me to deliver his new Coupe on the 27th of this month. This will allow me to make one trip to deliver the coupe and pick up my MK4 kit from FFR. I loaded up the coupe already and have started ordering the stuff to build my MK4. I bought a good used 5.0 engine, T-5 and 8.8 with 3:27 rear gears from Prestige Mustang for $1700.00. They completely went through the trans and resealed it with all new seals. I am basically only using the short block of the engine. I will rering it and install new bearings and freeze plugs. I bought a new flywheel and clutch kit from Carolina Clutch. I am installing a new 5 lug axle kit and rear diff cover from Summit. I will clean up everything and paint it like new. I am going with all new Trick flow top end and eldebrock Dual quad setup. I will be installing A/C from North race cars, Rad shroud, steering wheel hub, front battery kit and quiet pipes from Breeze Automotive. I will be using Vintage Air's new Front runner drive kit for the front of the engine. I really look forward to this build. I hope the weather is kind during my trip. I go to OK then Wareham then back to FL.

IMG_0399.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    While I am waiting for the 26th to leave to deliver my coupe to its new owner. I started on the donor stuff for my MK4. Here is pics of what I got from Prestige mustang. I will strip all down, inspect and rebuild everything needed to make them as good as new. All came from a very low mileage 93 Mustang GT convertible. Engine ran perfect before it was pulled. We opened up the trans and it was like new inside. Same with the 8.8 rear. I also started ordering all the new stuff as well. I like to have everything needed for the build before I have the kit. It makes for such a quicker build IMO. It is no fun waiting on parts. Ask me how I know, LOL.

IMG_0400.JPGIMG_0401.JPGIMG_0402.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Ran into a few problems today. On teardown of engine it seems someone had been inside of it and had pistons all in the wrong places. It ran fine but I am not happy with what I saw. Trans has a slight crack in the case I did not see before either. I am sending both back for refund. The good news is the rear end is OK. I ended up getting a rebuilt short block and new Ford Racing T-5 from summit. Throws my budget off some but at least I will feel comfortable with the parts. I should have all my donor stuff here in next few days and will be able to really get going on drivetrain this week coming up. It is like X-mas with the UPS guy the last few days. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sorry to hear about the engine, and the trans as well. Glad you got to see it, and early enough that there shouldn't be any pushback from Prestige.

I am sure the Summit parts will be rock solid; even if the budget gets a bit bloodied.

I have enjoyed watching your builds, and I look forward to this one as well.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem with Prestige. I sent them photos. They are even picking up the shipping cost to return. They credited my Visa right away. Good folks to deal with IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my body buck today. Trying to get everything ready before hand.

IMG_0406.JPGIMG_0407.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Found it. Subscribed! Sorry to hear about your engine and tranny issues, but at least you'll have peace of mind with the Summit items.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    You are my hero, I told my wife I am going to follow in your foot steps when i retire.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 01-28-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivered the Coupe yesterday to Joe in Grove,OK. He was a very happy man! Now I am heading to State College, PA. to visit my brother Curt. Then up to FFR for a Friday pick up of my MK4. Marsha says boxes from Summit keep showing up at home. I told her it just car parts, LOL. I have avoided all the snow so far and it looks like clear sailing for me. God has been good to me on this trip. Very little traffic and nice roads. Like a dope I left my camera cable at home so pics will have to wait till I get home.
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-21-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to Wareham today about 3:30 PM. Kit won't be ready for me till 1PM tomorrow. Forecast is some snow tomorrow. Yuck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Allo Tom any of my stuff ready?

Post Thanks / Like
    BN, I talked to Courtnie and your stuff is there for me to pick up. No worry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you have a nice trip back home ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it home safe today. Over 4K miles in about a week. Got to spend some time with the FFR staff and Dave Smith on Friday. Everyone there is so nice. Thanks Sally for my FFR swag! Got the kit loaded up and headed home . Stopped by Herb Fraser's to get 2 door panels. Nice guy. Stopped at a rest stop in WV and guess what was in parking lot? Stewart transport. I am going to decompress and do inventory tomorrow. Here is some pics.

IMG_0420.JPGIMG_0423.JPGIMG_0424.JPGIMG_0440.JPGIMG_0437.JPGIMG_0441.JPGIMG_0442.JPGIMG_0443.JPGIMG_0444.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Take your well deserve rest Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    On Monday I was able to inventory everything. Very large POL list but only one thing missing that was supposed to be in one box. This is my 6th FFR build and would like to pass on some things that I do that helps with the build IMO. When inventorying boxes with shocks and rod end and such I assemble them right away and put in box. This helps speed up things but also allowed me to catch wrong rod ends sent in the box. If you only count the parts you could get to assembly later to find out you have 4 LH thread and no RH thread ends. Ask me how I know this. LOL. For the most part FFR does a great job, but they are human. Do inventory ASAP and get your list of missing stuff to FFR so they can make it right ASAP. Just my 2 cents. I also cover car with HF moving blankets so boxes in trailer on trip do not scratch the body so much.

IMG_0446.JPGIMG_0447.JPGIMG_0448.JPGIMG_0449.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today my wife Marsha helped me get the car out of the trailer. We used 2 HF furniture dollies and just rolled it out. I then had some of my hot rod buddies come over and we separated the body from the chassis and put it on the body buck I had made. Since I have now 2 builds going on I had to use my 4-post lift to store the body and some boxes. I will work on the chassis underneath. I hope to be getting parts for my 818E build soon to finish that for my customer. But I have the MK4 to keep me out of trouble, LOL. I have about 95% of what I need to finish the MK4 so parts will not be the problem with it.

IMG_0450.JPGIMG_0451.JPGIMG_0452.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent today working on the engine assembly. Got about 80% done. I really like the Vintage air serpentine setup a lot. Hope to have engine/trans and rear end done by Saturday.

IMG_0453.JPGIMG_0454.JPGIMG_0455.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up engine. I had to see it with carbs and headers on. This thing does have the bling, LOL. I will take them off for install. I finished up my 8.8. I always use Vintage Performance's 3-link extra brace. Cheap insurance IMO. I hope to get trans and all on engine tomorrow and start on chassis soon.

IMG_0456.JPGIMG_0457.JPGIMG_0458.JPGIMG_0459.JPGIMG_0460.JPGIMG_0461.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Busy...busy...busy...nice work

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last 2 days I got some good stuff done. I mounted the rear end and all the rear suspension, Most of the front suspension and started cleckos on the front firewall and Drivers foot box. Kit going together very easily. I sure do miss my 2-post lift, LOL. I guess this is how a lot of folks build theirs. Here is some pics.

IMG_0474.JPGIMG_0475.JPGIMG_0476.JPGIMG_0477.JPGIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0479.JPGIMG_0480.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great work. GREAT! Absolutely love the engine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
    That is great work. GREAT! Absolutely love the engine!
    C'mon now, that same engine served the Flintstones quite well!

Great progress in short time frame though. I appreciate all the pictures.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished up the Wilwood pedal box. I like to use Russ Thompson's pedals. I also mounted the gas tank. Still waiting on B/O sender and gas line insert. I mocked up and drilled for both foot boxes. I will remove them and coat the outside with Lizard skin sound deadener and ceramic heat coating. Then the inside will get Eastwood thermocoustic covering. This is not the most astatically pleasing covering for them but it works very well in keeping the heat out of the cockpit. I do this to all the aluminum panels on the outside. Acts as a stone resistant covering as well. I most likely will make heat shields like I did for my Type 65 in the front of the foot boxes.

IMG_0481.JPGIMG_0482.JPGIMG_0483.JPGIMG_0484.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0486.JPGIMG_0487.JPGIMG_0488.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-08-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

You make it look easy. I too apreciate the pictures and updates. Beautiful job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not to cool in your shop this days

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Not to cool in your shop this days
    It has been cool in the mornings some. I have a small heater I place near me and makes it comfortable to work. The cold weather does mess with me painting and coating stuff though. It is supposed to be back in the 70's next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last 2 days I mocked up and drilled most of the interior aluminum. I am going to use North Racecars E-Brk so I removed the FFR brace and filled in the void. I also cut off the tab in the back near the gas tank straps I do not use in the complete kit. I also temped in the dash. I posted a separate question about the dash panel. Manual is very vague IMO on the mounting of the dash. I am going to make mine removable for ease of repair on gauges if needed when finished.

IMG_0494.JPGIMG_0495.JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0497.JPGIMG_0498.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0500.JPGIMG_0501.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The last 2 days I finished up mocking up and drilling the trunk area aluminum and mounted my North Racecars E-Brk. I really prefer this over the Manual location. I also mocked up the North Racecars A/C box for the firewall. This required me to move the brace for the top curved bar. I welded a new one in place before cutting out the old one. No movement that way, LOL. I also made a firewall brace off of the new bar. I made sure no interference with gauges. Yesterday I coated everything with Lizard Skin sound deadener. Today did the Ceramic heat coating. I can start installing the stuff on the chassis on Monday now. here are some pics.

IMG_0502 (1).JPGIMG_0508 (1).JPGIMG_0509 (1).JPGIMG_0510 (1).JPGIMG_0507 (1).JPGIMG_0511 (1).JPGIMG_0512 (1).JPGIMG_0503 (1).JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom:

Would that A/C box create any interference issues with the engine? How about a windshield wiper kit? It doesn't look like it leaves enough room to mount the motor.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Tom:

Would that A/C box create any interference issues with the engine? How about a windshield wiper kit? It doesn't look like it leaves enough room to mount the motor.

Carlos
    According to the directions it does not interfere with either though it is a tight fit. You have to modify the wiper some but I am not using a wiper. Time will tell. I should be installing the engine next week sometime. Here is a picture that came with the kit. The picture is not my kit though.

AC7.jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-13-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed most of the aluminum I coated today as well as mounted Brake fluid reservoir. I powder coated a few parts. I used this hunting portable ground blind to do my powder coating in. It contains the mess, LOL. Only cost me 69 bucks. My wife Marsha found it for me on sale. She is an avid deer hunter and keeps us in venison all year long. I had to modify the Wilwood assembly some. The clutch cable hit it when the pedal was depressed in 2 areas. One right on top and the other everyone knows about by the frame on the pedal itself. Die grinder fixed both on 5 minutes.

IMG_0513.JPGIMG_0515.JPGIMG_0516.JPGIMG_0517.JPGIMG_0518.JPGIMG_0519.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi to you too do you use a regular Owen for powder coated in your garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Hi to you too do you use a regular Owen for powder coated in your garage
    Yes. I bought one cheap second hand off of Craig's list for 40 bucks. You can do parts that fit inside fine. I keep it in my barn. Can't bake cookies in it though. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is it a duel setting

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes from Eastwood. BN

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I moved my customer 818E off my 2-post lift and put my MK4 there. I also mounted my flywheel, clutch and trans to the engine. I bought these cool car movers from HF. Work great and only 48 bucks on sale.

IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPGIMG_0522.JPGIMG_0523.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-26-2016 at 06:18 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast