BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18"s MK4 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Any photos you can share on how you mounted your seat?

I know this comes up a lot.

Mick

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    TW
    What car was that charcoal canister from, I like the design
    BTW going to BG this year?
    Dale Berry
    It was from a Kia SUV. It was hollow inside and I just drilled a hole in the bottom, put screen around the tubes and filled with activated charcoal. Very nice size and a nice small easy mount as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I got an email from Courtnie at FFR. It was both good and bad news. The good is my steering rack and exh. hardware will be here on Wed. The bad is my drive shaft won't be here till April and shifter till May. Once I get the rack installed and finished up the P/S hoses I can start the engine. Also I can align the car. I will then strip non-essentials off and take it to Huegenics for paint. Once we take the body off for paint I will finish up the chassis, carpet and etc. Today I mocked up the soft top. Very nice unit from Rod Tops. After watching FFR videos and reading instruction manual it went on in 30 minutes. I guess about 5 minutes to take it off and 10 to install from now on. Yes it does fit in the trunk and still room for 2 fold up chairs. I also mocked up the side vents, rear view mirror and heats shields. I like the shields from Finish line, Nice stuff they have.
    Taking a few days off till parts come in. Here is some pics.

IMG_0651.JPGIMG_0653.JPGIMG_0655.JPGIMG_0656.JPGIMG_0662.JPGIMG_0664.JPGIMG_0658.JPG

http://www.**********accessories.com/
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-30-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post

Mick
    I'll try to get you some soon. I really just followed the instructions for the FFR sliders and seats in the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

What kind of prep work will the body need for paint. Curious to how good the Mk4 bodies are from the factory

Looking sharp
    Mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aso544 View Post
    Tom,

What kind of prep work will the body need for paint. Curious to how good the Mk4 bodies are from the factory

Looking sharp
    Mac
    All the FFR bodies need a fair amount of prep. Even the 818 that was thought to be a no paint kit. Most found out that was far from the truth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday my header to side pipe wedges from Breeze Automotive came in. These allowed me to get the side pipes in correct alignment and equal to each other. Nice stuff. I really like the FFR support on the side pipes. Not sure why anyone would delete them. Heat shields from Finish line complete the pipes IMO. Steering rack should be here late tomorrow. Then to Huegenics on the 29th for paint.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/
    http://www.**********accessories.com/

IMG_0665.JPGIMG_0666.JPGIMG_0667.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-30-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Running out of stuff to do till parts come in. I did mount my check straps. I use 10-32 screws not rivets. Also mocked up my side aluminum for the door area. Hope to get the steering rack sometime today. Fed Ex is running late.

IMG_0674.JPGIMG_0675.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post

Mick
    Here is some pics. I hope it helps you out. I used the bolts that came with the FFR seat track kit to mount the tracks to the seat. I then slid the tracks to the full back position and mounted the seat as far back as I could. I then marked the holes and install 5/16" riv-nuts in the frame and used 5/16" S/S Allen head bolts. Then with the front bolts installed I moved the seat as far forward as possible and marked the holes. Then I repeated what I did in the front. You can get the riv-nuts from McMaster-Carr.

IMG_0671.JPGIMG_0672.JPGIMG_0673.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well late last night the steering rack from FFR came. Unfortunately for me they sent 2 pressure side P/S hoses and no return hose. I ended up going to a boneyard to get one. After fixing a small fuel leak, oil leak and P/S leak I was able to time and setup the engine. I am super happy with the quiet pipes I got from Breeze. I also am happy with the engine components I used in the build. It really runs great. I can not wait to try it out on the road. But with no drive shaft that won't happen for a while. Car is going to Huegenics for paint on Tuesday. Here is a short video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    ...I really like the FFR support on the side pipes. Not sure why anyone would delete them.
    Me neither BUT consider eliminating one of the bolts attaching the hangers to the pipe tabs. With both clamped tightthe twisting motion as the engine moves often rips the tab from the pipe...I've seen it on both the mild and stainless steel. One bolt snugged, but not tightly clamped, will support the weight but not introduce the fatigue from twisting. Never had one break doing them this way.

I agree on the Breeze wedges. I've used them on a couple of roadsters and like all of Mark's products they work exactly as intended

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Motor sounds great!!! I just noticed it was a dual carb setup. What's your projected HP?

Mac

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Me neither BUT consider eliminating one of the bolts attaching the hangers to the pipe tabs. With both clamped tightthe twisting motion as the engine moves often rips the tab from the pipe...I've seen it on both the mild and stainless steel. One bolt snugged, but not tightly clamped, will support the weight but not introduce the fatigue from twisting. Never had one break doing them this way.

I agree on the Breeze wedges. I've used them on a couple of roadsters and like all of Mark's products they work exactly as intended

Jeff
    Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aso544 View Post
    Tom,

Motor sounds great!!! I just noticed it was a dual carb setup. What's your projected HP?

Mac
    Trick flow said with my head/cam setup somewhere north of 375.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I charged the A/C. The duct temp was 42 degrees. Heater works well also. I am waiting till we remove body to cut in my defroster ducts. I aligned the front end and setup ride height. Now I hope Huegenics can take the car on Tuesday. They are slammed right now but hope to get a few cars gone by Tuesday. I also just set my grills in place and took a pic. I am 95% sure I am going to powder coat them black. I am on the fence about the front bumper hoop. I kind of like just the bumpers without the hoop in the front. .

IMG_0680.JPGIMG_0678.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree ... The hoop to me fits the Slabside/Street style more than the SC look. Just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried to mock up the hoop yet? The angle of the mounts don't match the bumper overiders and the shape is a little wonky. Don't drill any holes yet but kind of rough it into place...you might well decide to go without. I've installed them when the customers wanted it but also prefer the look without.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Have you tried to mock up the hoop yet? The angle of the mounts don't match the bumper overiders and the shape is a little wonky. Don't drill any holes yet but kind of rough it into place...you might well decide to go without. I've installed them when the customers wanted it but also prefer the look without.

Cheers,
    Jeff
    I did mount it already. See earlier posts. I may just fill holes with chrome screws and delete the hoop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some bad news today. My paint shop had several employees get sick late last week. They did not get certain cars out the door so I must wait till 4/3/16 Monday to take it to them. Oh well I guess I am getting used to waiting. Makes me wonder how quick I could build one of these without delays, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loaded up the MK4 in the trailer today. Taking it to Huegenics for paint on Monday. Now I can clean up the shop and maybe work on the 818E some. LOL. Inside joke.

IMG_0682.JPGIMG_0683.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Dropped off the MK4 at Huegenics yesterday morning for paint. It should be done around the first week in June. In a few weeks I will go there and help pull the body off the chassis for final paintwork. By then my driveshaft and shifter will hopefully be here to go cart.

IMG_0684.JPGIMG_0685.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Stopped by Huegenics today. They have made some good progress in a short time. They basically started in the back and are working forward on the body. The trunk area is done and now working on the doors and openings. I really like the way they have made the top of the doors wider for my shoulders. This should be a option for the MK4 IMO. It is very tight with the stock doors IMO. They hope to be pulling the body off in 7-10 days for primer then paint. I will be there with my body buck and help. Then bring the chassis home to finish up interior and other detail items on the chassis. One picture shows the door cut out with the foam installed before the resin and fiberglass mat. The other is already glassed and waiting to sand out.

IMG_0693.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0696.JPGIMG_0697.JPGIMG_0698.JPGIMG_0692.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope to be pulling the body off on Friday for paint. I will bring the chassis home to finish up some stuff. Got some great news today. I helped spec out an MK4 for a friend of mine that I will help him build as well as go get the kit with him when it is ready. Really stoked about this one. It will use all new parts as well as the new IRS and a 427/TKO600 combo from Mike Forte. God is blessing me with doing what I really love to do in my retirement. As soon as it is finalized I will start a build thread on that one as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

I like what you did with the doors. I look forward to seeing them with the seats in to see how big the impact is. Nice creative idea there!

If your friend gets his done as quickly as you built yours, you might as well open a shop down there to keep yourself busy!!

Have you decided on a color? I don't recall you mentioning one...

Looking great.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Tom-

I like what you did with the doors. I look forward to seeing them with the seats in to see how big the impact is. Nice creative idea there!

If your friend gets his done as quickly as you built yours, you might as well open a shop down there to keep yourself busy!!

Have you decided on a color? I don't recall you mentioning one...

Looking great.

Regards,

Steve
    Cobalt Blue pearl with Bright silver metallic stripes. It will be a special one off version of these basic colors custom blended by Chris at Huegenics. The colors will blow you away when you see them in the sun. I hope I can continue to build cars for customers. It would be nice for me to hang on to my own for a while. Though that has not been my MO so far, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Cobalt Blue. Excellent choice, in my opinion. I used that color to paint the flames, and Cobalt Blue flakes mixed in the base black color on my motorcycle. Here's the rear fender:

image.jpeg

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Will you be putting a top on this car and if so what impact does the door mods have on the installation of the top?

BTW I too am a fan of Cobalt Blue ... it will be beautiful.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    Tom,

Will you be putting a top on this car and if so what impact does the door mods have on the installation of the top?

BTW I too am a fan of Cobalt Blue ... it will be beautiful.

Carl
    None. The top and side windows will work same as if no mod was made. The difference is more shoulder room. The windows drape way past the mod.

MK4123.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to stop by Huegenics today to drop off my front grommets for the bumper shafts. Once they get the holes to fit these correct we will pull the body off Thursday morning to go further with body work, then paint. I really like the gaps every where and doors after the modification for more shoulder room.

IMG_0703.JPGIMG_0704.JPGIMG_0705.JPGIMG_0706.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0708.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today we took the body off the chassis and onto the body buck at Huegenics. I was able to bring the chassis home and clean it up for the final parts to go on once paint is done. I showed the guys the FFR video on taking the body off. They freaked out how much it flexed in the video. All went very well. I really like how the front grommets look.

IMG_0711.JPGIMG_0712.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0714.JPGIMG_0715.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I got the chassis home I pressured wash it and wiped off the fiberglass dust. I was able to install the B/O drive shaft. I also installed the coolant reservoir tank . I fabricated up a y-piece with a flap valve for my defrost ducts. I can now pull a knob to get defrost or push it in to shut off. I installed Mike Forte's clutch cable effort reducer. Nice part I painted the steel part black. I hope to get going on carpet, seats, speakers and belts soon.

IMG_0717.JPGIMG_0719.JPGIMG_0723.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The ffr suppled coolant reservoir tank is so small. Maybe fine with a 302, but my 351 kept dumping out an ounce or two of coolant when hot because of how small the reservoir is. I replaced it with a larger one and now the system works correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HappiestDays View Post
    The ffr suppled coolant reservoir tank is so small. Maybe fine with a 302, but my 351 kept dumping out an ounce or two of coolant when hot because of how small the reservoir is. I replaced it with a larger one and now the system works correctly.
    I have been fortunate in the 2 previous 302 builds I did not have that problem. I do only put 1" in the res. when cold. That allows for expansion better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the interior today. Hope to carpet the trunk tomorrow. Still waiting on B/O shifter stuff. List is getting shorter for body reinstall, LOL.

IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0731.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom:

My concern with your coolant reservoir tank is its location. It's so close to the exhaust header, that the radiant heat may cause the coolant to boil off. Just my observation.

Carlos
    FFR Coupe #0635; Ford 347ci, Tremec TKO500, 8.8 rear end w/ 3.27:1 gears, Cobra/SVO brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos C View Post
    Tom:

My concern with your coolant reservoir tank is its location. It's so close to the exhaust header, that the radiant heat may cause the coolant to boil off. Just my observation.

Carlos
    There is an air gap there. If it becomes a problem I can always move it. The picture tends to exaggerate the closeness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up carpeting the trunk. I painted the access panels with black wrinkle paint. I then masked off and painted the front of the radiator/condenser black with Eastwood Radiator paint. I like to see black through the front grill opening instead of the silver. Just my personal preference. LOL. I only have about 4 more items to take care of and I will store the chassis till the body is ready from paint at Huegenics. Hopefully by the end of the month or so.

IMG_0732.JPGIMG_0733.JPGIMG_0734.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to go-cart the chassis yesterday. While it drove fine, handled great and stopped well there was a strange noise from the engine. It seems something in the bottom end let go. It is a new ATK short block so it is under warranty. It is just a hassle to remove it and tear down everything. At least it is easier with the body off. Normally I build all my engines myself. I did not build this bottom end and unfortunately some thing has gone wrong with it. Oil pressure and temperature were all fine. Oh well that is how the ball bounces some times. LOL.

IMG_0737.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-06-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is tough about the engine ... hopefully it could be something simple like a loose oil pickup although you would think that would cause oil pressure problems...PS I love your attitude about it; I would be going crazy.

I noticed in you photo that you expanded the outside panel of your DS foot box. How much did you expand it? I have heard both that there is no room or there is little room to get the body/door alignment right at the front of the door. It sounds like you have overcome that issue.

Congratulations on go kart and thanks for the great build thread.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    That is tough about the engine ... hopefully it could be something simple like a loose oil pickup although you would think that would cause oil pressure problems...PS I love your attitude about it; I would be going crazy.

I noticed in you photo that you expanded the outside panel of your DS foot box. How much did you expand it? I have heard both that there is no room or there is little room to get the body/door alignment right at the front of the door. It sounds like you have overcome that issue.

Congratulations on go kart and thanks for the great build thread.

Carl
    Carl, that is the way the drivers foot box comes from FFR now.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast